Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i put a 347 in my car from frpp today. got everything buttoned up. i go to crank the starter (which a couple years old) and it sounds like its straining. the motor turns slowly, but enough to combust, i know this because it backfired REALLY loud. i havent checked the voltage of the battery. but its obviously gettin air fuel and spark. my guess would bet that the battery (which has sat for close to 3 months) has enough voltage to crank the starter, but not enough to crank it over fully. im not sure tho. i really dont have money for a starter and im pretty sure thats not the problem. or my timing could be off. not sure. oh well. any hints would be good.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Grab a battery from another car real quick to verify that it isnt just getting enough juice.

Does pressing the gas pedal help at all ?

Have you tried turning the distributor at all?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i havent turned the distributor. but im confident that timing is off causing this problem. starting this motor, and starting the 302 sound totally different. the starter itself sounds funky. im going to grab a DVOM tomorrow and check the battery, all i need is 9.5 volts to start it. i got my timing gun here too so ill plug that sucker in.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so the timing is fine. everything is lined up. all the grounds are hooked up. battery voltage is at 12.5v. its gettin air, fuel, and spark. when i crank the motor over, it has no hesitation in between sparks. its a solid crank. the engine occasionally backfires but thats about it. WHAT IS WRONG?

·
Registered
17 Posts
the cam timing could be off, also, make sure the firing order is correct, and make sure the rotor isn't 180° out. im pretty sure this is a timing issue.

btw do you have the stock starter in that thing? mine crapped out shortly after my h/c/i swap.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im sure the timing gears are fine. i double checked them while the motor was out. the ignition module is facing front if thats what u mean by 180*. im pretty sure its a timing issue too but i dunno. im pretty fed up right now, so im done for the night. ill take a crack at it after class tomorrow

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey man whats up. yea im sure it was at tdc. its snowing out right now so im not gunna work on it today cause its cold out too. but im gunna redo the timing and start at 0 instead of 14

·
Registered
122 Posts
check your firing order as well. you could just have a couple of crossed wires... but most likely your timing is off. so just put the motor at tdc and put the rotor at #1 spark plug and start the motor and thenn set the timing to 10-14 degrees.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i fixed the timing but it still wont start. the only thing i can think of now would be that someone the rockers are too tight and its holding a valve a little bit open causing a compression loss. cause when in crank the motor over, it doesnt even sound like its trying to combust. so compression test tomorrow and go from there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.