Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through the article in the Motor Trend February issue about the New Mustang. It's a nice article, paying tribute to what I heard is THE MOST POPULAR CAR IN THE WORLD (Corvette is second oddly enough). Err...and of course, the price went up another 4 grand, although to stay reasonable it needed to stay the same price. But anyway, getting to the point, what the hell is up with the 13.9 second quarter-mile time. Didn't they add 40 horses to this thing? Is it possibly the weight? I don't remember what the 99' GT's weighed. Or is this just some estimated time MT made up?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Fords_Advocate said:
I was reading through the article in the Motor Trend February issue about the New Mustang. It's a nice article, paying tribute to what I heard is THE MOST POPULAR CAR IN THE WORLD (Corvette is second oddly enough). Err...and of course, the price went up another 4 grand, although to stay reasonable it needed to stay the same price. But anyway, getting to the point, what the hell is up with the 13.9 second quarter-mile time. Didn't they add 40 horses to this thing? Is it possibly the weight? I don't remember what the 99' GT's weighed. Or is this just some estimated time MT made up?
dont believe motor trend or mags like that, u would be surprised on how some will lie and crap... I think the 05 stang runs 13.4 or 13.5.. any objections?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Even if MT tested the new 2005, i bet it was a test mule with still some bugs in it. We are 8 months from delivery so i bet Ford is still tweaking that 24 valve engine.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I sure hope so.

I second that Motor Trend can't be trusted when it comes to clocking cars. My sister has a '97 Eclipse turbo that sure seemed a lot faster than their rated 15.1. Maybe it's just the turbo kicking in that makes it feel more powerful than it is.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would be surprised (pleasantly) it the actually did run that. 13.9 is dam good for a standard production GT model.

V

·
0 Posts
Motor Trent tested the 2001 GT and it was a 15.0......So don't believe them.

Not to mention it is supposively heavier than the Mustang GTs now.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
It's not about not telling the truth.

Many times the testers get a car that has already been thrashed to hell and back.

Just heat and atmospheric pressure can mean a full second on or off the ET.

Pre-production cars are sometimes not complete especially in their performance tweaks.

Any number of factors arise.

Ford will tune the cars for emissions and an attempt to meet the damned CAFE standards knowing a bunch of hotrodders will bring the car up to it's potential.

V

·
0 Posts
Tominator said:
It's not about not telling the truth.

Many times the testers get a car that has already been thrashed to hell and back.

Just heat and atmospheric pressure can mean a full second on or off the ET.

Pre-production cars are sometimes not complete especially in their performance tweaks.

Any number of factors arise.

Ford will tune the cars for emissions and an attempt to meet the damned CAFE standards knowing a bunch of hotrodders will bring the car up to it's potential.
Exactly, no one is saying they are lying, they are just saying do not trust them....

·
Registered
59 Posts
They haven't "tested" it yet. The 13.9 you see is just an estimate...a conservative one at that. It probably won't be too far off from what your average driver is going to be running though.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The new Mustang is only 1% heavier than the current Stang so the car hasn't put on much weight. The 1/4 mile times should be closer to 13.5-13.6. 1% of 3500 lbs is 35 lbs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
those big mags like that have to test so many cars if its one that they really dont care about or one that the motor company did not pay the mag to promote they will just pop the clutch and let it rip down the track and whatever it comes up with is what it is. thats why we should only look at mmff and 5.0 for ture times or better yet we'll all just have to go out and buy one.(yeah right)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.