Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have an 89 lx 5.0. I just relaced the cam with an E303, U/L intake and 70mm T/B and. The motor is on TDC, distributor is pointing to #1 and the balancer is on 0. The plugs just barely have gas on them. The car cranks over but it will not fire, it isn't even trying to fire. I need help!!!! And the rockers have oil coming out of them, because I primed them to make sure.

angry5.0

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the cam and crank gears lined up dot to dot but they weren't perfectly lined up they were off ever so slightly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Was the cam istalled right meaning did you align the marks up when you installed the timing gear ?? If so try pulling out the spark plugs and putting your finger over number one plug hole and see if you are getting presure on that stroke. If/when you do pull the distributor cap off and see where the rotor is pointing and then reset your firing order from there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I recently had the same issue with a new engine build. Cranked the motor several times and swore that I had the distributor in right. The rotor was also was pointing at the number 1 plug with the respective cylinder at TDC. I pulled the distributor completely out and turned it 180 Degrees. It started on the first try. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok,

I turned the crank by hand to #1 TDC I got alot of pressure. The distributor is pointing to #1 plug. The balancer is on 0. I put new plugs in when I pulled the #1 out it was black. NO gas hardly on it. I could just barely smell gas on the plug, but didn' see much on it. The cam and crank were lined up dot to dot, but they were off ever so slightly, so they were not perfect.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how do I make sure I am getting fuel to all the plugs or even to the injectors. What do I need to do?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you here the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Yes/ No?
On the fuel lines there should be a Schrader valve, at the front passenger side of the engine. It looks like a bicycle tire air filler-upper thing. If there is a cap on it take it off a stick a small screw driver in and see if you have pressure. Be careful, gas may spray out fast. I like to put a rag between me and the valve when releasing the pressure. And no cigarettes either. If you have gas pressure, the gas is at the injectors.
Are it injectors firing?
If I remember there should be 4vdc (volts DC) at the(any) injector plug with the ignition in the run or the crank position. The more I think about it, it may be while cranking, but can’t remember for sure. Check on the colored wire, not the black. (colored with the red lead, black lead to a good ground with your volt meter.)
Are you getting a good hot spark?
Hope some of this helps..

G

·
Do you here the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Yes/ No?
On the fuel lines there should be a Schrader valve, at the front passenger side of the engine. It looks like a bicycle tire air filler-upper thing. If there is a cap on it take it off a stick a small screw driver in and see if you have pressure. Be careful, gas may spray out fast. I like to put a rag between me and the valve when releasing the pressure. And no cigarettes either. If you have gas pressure, the gas is at the injectors.
Are it injectors firing?
If I remember there should be 4vdc (volts DC) at the(any) injector plug with the ignition in the run or the crank position. The more I think about it, it may be while cranking, but can’t remember for sure. Check on the colored wire, not the black. (colored with the red lead, black lead to a good ground with your volt meter.)
Are you getting a good hot spark?
Hope some of this helps..
X 2 to that and also napa makes a fuel injector tester for 20 bucks that pulses when your injectors are working

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok,

I went and took the cap off of the lines put a small screw driver in and there was no gas in the line, nothing happened. I barely even heard any pressure noise. Why am I not getting gas up there? When I turn the key on the fuel pump is priming because it makes the usual noise. What happened?

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
take the fuel filter off.check if any fuel between it and the pump,....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have fuel to the plugs and you can smell fuel now. I have good spark but it is not fireing. .The timing is right I just know it is, but if for some reason it is not right what do I need to do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hook up a timing light and check your balancer, it should read close to or around zero if you have the distributor set up right. also i'd pull a plug and see if it has spark while cranking no need for any fancy tools for that.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The rotor needs to be pointing at the #1 plug tower on the distributor cap, not towards the #1 cylinder of the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.