Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than using more AC, does higher temperatures mean less MPG? Recently it has been pretty hot and my mileage has gone down 2-3 MPG. Normally, winter gas will yield lower MPG but I wasn't sure about when it's over 105 degrees.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Plus when it's too hot we all get a tad more irritable and maybe more likely to be punching the pedal a little harder. :D

Just over 500 miles so far so I don't have a real great feel for what kind of mpgs I'm getting overall but I was pretty pleased to see my highway mpg is almost dead even with what my 2009 V6 used to get.

Go, Ford, go. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
352 Posts
My guess is I've taken a 1-1.5mpg hit on the V6. Easy price to pay to keeping this Wisconsin born boy cool in the Texas heat!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
in theory when its cold more gas would be needed because the air is denser. so i would think that the mpg will go down when its cold because the computer will try to hold lambda.

G

·
0 Posts
in theory when its cold more gas would be needed because the air is denser. so i would think that the mpg will go down when its cold because the computer will try to hold lambda.
That is all true, however in addition more heat energy is lost through the cooling system as the ambient temp increases. This is less work the engine is able to produce for a given amount of fuel.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've noticed a 1-3mpg drop when the temps get over 90F, and when running the AC, which is most of the time here in Texas.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Power is down in hotter temperatures...You may be giving more throttle for the expected amount of torque you want to feel and not even know it. Plus the AC is running on the really hot days as well, and while it doesn't draw too much energy, it's still a parasitic loss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.