Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i removed my instrument cluster when installed some white faced gauges on my 02 gt, ever since ive done this the mph gauge doesnt work properly unless the inside of my car is hot (like left out in the sun all day) or it will work sometimes and get stuck say at 30 mph.

i bought a new instrument cluster off of a salavage mustang gt for a manual transmission and had ford program the new instrument cluster and none off the gauges were reading right

anyone have any suggestions for this pickle im in? id like to have my mph work again :)

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Try prying up on the speedo needle a little. It may be pushed down to far and dragging on the gauge face. Also check around the 30mph mark where the needle is getting hung up at for any bubbles or raised spots on the gauge face.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude I feel like an idiot, I removed the stupid white face guages and the speedo started working perfect. I bought these stupid reverse glow gauges from american muscle (not knocking down am by any means) I guess they sat too high causing the needle to stick.

What do you think about the normal white faced gauges that just stick over the stock gauges? They say not to remove the needles to install them but they don't slide over the needles easy without damaging the new white faced gauges. I really love the look of the the white haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I have some generic white gauge face (actually, I think it's made by BBK but I forget man it's been a while), I still had to remove the needles to install it. I'm not sure how it could be done without removing the needles because you still have to remove the stock face which ain't coming off without taking the needles with it. At least that's what I went through anyway.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2000 GT and a lot of people don't know this but if you put your key in your ignition then push and HOLD your odometer button in while starting the engine and not releasing the odometer button until it reads TEST on the odometer display you can get a digital display of your speed in the odometer view :laughlitt. You have to now push the button in (7) times, I believe, before you get to the display that reads engooo. when you see this you're good to go, just pull forward and you will see your speed digitally! You will also notice that each push of the odometer button will give you different diagnostics. The one after the "ENG" code is for your RPM's, there's a KPH I believe and also battery charge indicator and some temp readings. Check it out :gringreen. I haven't looked at my analog speed display in about 12 years, it's all digital now baby!
-Ruz

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
OP,

It's very easy to not have the gauge template seated all the way into the cluster. This was contacting the needle and holding your speedo.

Try installing them again, but make sure to evenly seat the gauges. Once they look seated, start from the middle and work you way out pushing any "air" out.

Hope this helps!

Shane

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2000 GT and a lot of people don't know this but if you put your key in your ignition then push and HOLD your odometer button in while starting the engine and not releasing the odometer button until it reads TEST on the odometer display you can get a digital display of your speed in the odometer view :laughlitt. You have to now push the button in (7) times, I believe, before you get to the display that reads engooo. when you see this you're good to go, just pull forward and you will see your speed digitally! You will also notice that each push of the odometer button will give you different diagnostics. The one after the "ENG" code is for your RPM's, there's a KPH I believe and also battery charge indicator and some temp readings. Check it out :gringreen. I haven't looked at my analog speed display in about 12 years, it's all digital now baby!
-Ruz
I love this little trick. I just wish it did not have to be done every time i turn the car back on, if only there was some way to set that to default or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts