Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks here have gotten tunes from MPT? What was your experience? Did you get to compare the MPT tunes to other major tuners?

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Who?????????????

·
Registered
666 Posts
is that the "more power tuning"? MPT.. these guys almost destroyed both engines in my 2011 V6 and GT. My V6 would shake at idle and sometimes stall at red light. Whereby the GT was even worse. The tune seemed to run well until it got revealed at a dyno run that it was running as lean as 14 AFR (result was only about 403hp at crank!!). Luckily I went for the dyno run only 2 weeks after i uploaded their tune. Had i ran it for a little longer I'd have probably destroyed the engine.

The worst is, the level of attention and support i got from MPT after I complained. This guy called Mike, he claimed that tune was all good and that the AFR measurement at dyno was caused by a very rare inefficient operation of the engine due to learning process after tune upload bla bla.. and some more BS.

I stopped emailing the guy. Bought two tunes from Bama and Brenspeed. THe GT runs dead 11.8-12 AFR at WOT delivering 397 hp to the wheels which is about 465hp at the crank. Yeah ! thats what a performance tune should be like. Meanwhile I sold the V6.. Mike couldnt solve its idle issues. I hated the MPT tunes on V6. I replaced it with Bama before I sold the car.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Well maybe that's why I haven't heard about them lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was referring to More Power Tuning. Thanks for the input guys, I was really interested in a ghost cam tune and that seemed to he the only place to get one for a six banger.

·
Registered
666 Posts
guys all i can say is that stay away from MPT. Ghost cams is certainly not a good reason to get tunes from MPT and risk your engine. On the other hand, Ghost cams are not as easy as simply uploading the tune. You definitely need to remove your CATs and run your car with off road pipes. Otherwise the tune will eventually destroy your cats due to amount of fuel dumped to simulate the cammed idle. moreover, I know many people who had ghost cams and honestly, they all got bored of it a month after.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problems there, I already removed the cats. Bama has said in a month or so they should have a ghost cam tune for the six, I was just hoping to not have to wait. I realize its just a novelty, but I do miss the lumpy idle of high duration cams I have installed in past fun cars, for me its the icing on the muscle car cake.

E

·
0 Posts
I'd like to know where the almost destroyed part comes in on your explanation. From my understanding on pump gas the optimum AFR is around 14.6 parts of air to every one part of fuel (performand/mpg). This is far from being detonation "lean", and from what I have read regarding tuning and getting more power, 12.8 to 13.2 (or 13/1) is what you are shooting for if you are looking to build power.

I thought you would need to hit more in the 16+ range lean to be worried.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have MPT's Tunes right now on my 2013 v6. I have both a performance tune and a ghost cam tune. The performance tune is amazing and so is the ghost cam tune. The ghost cam tune is the one that shakes the car, which is awesome ... i dunno what by9468840 is talking about with engines being destroyed, i think he got the ghost cam tune and didnt know :p

I had bamas tunes on my 2012 V6 and i wasn't really that impressed. I preferred dealing with MPT because they were very personal, not like bamas annoying system of filling in webforms. MPT worked with me and addressed all my issues and questions.

In comparison to other tuners i would say MPT is the same if not better.

2013 Mustang V6 - Borla Headers *Offroad* + Borla Ataks + Ghost Cams - YouTube

E

·
0 Posts
I have MPT's Tunes right now on my 2013 v6. I have both a performance tune and a ghost cam tune. The performance tune is amazing and so is the ghost cam tune. The ghost cam tune is the one that shakes the car, which is awesome ... i dunno what by9468840 is talking about with engines being destroyed, i think he got the ghost cam tune and didnt know :p

I had bamas tunes on my 2012 V6 and i wasn't really that impressed. I preferred dealing with MPT because they were very personal, not like bamas annoying system of filling in webforms. MPT worked with me and addressed all my issues and questions.

In comparison to other tuners i would say MPT is the same if not better.

2013 Mustang V6 - Borla Headers *Offroad* + Borla Ataks + Ghost Cams - YouTube
From my understanding your CATs should be fine with the ghost cam tune because the system has a fail safe to inject more fuel in order to cool the cats, therefore reducing heat, this has always been in place, so I am not too sure why people are so worried about having to go cat-less if the system is supposed to keep heat in check anyway.

I do understand that regardless you never want too much fuel in the system but in order to get to the point of burning up your cats your car would have to run so lean that fuel does not get burnt off and it collects in there then detonates. That is not something that just happens, you car has to be running either so out of whack or have a bad ignition system to begin with....

I am going to order a tune this week to test out on my car and give it a run.

I like BAMA tunes for how they perform which is usually pretty well and I have never had a problem getting support but yeah I too do not like the clunky ordering system its just plain odd and time consuming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In response to the OP and Who question:
I worked at SCT for 6 years and was responsible for teaching those that purchased SCT software how to tune. I am now running my own tuning shop which name I will not mention again because I’m not a sponsor on this forum.

In response to Baris aka bluebyu12:
Apparently these all mean the same thing?
Recent post: “The worst is, the level of attention and support i got from MPT after I complained”
Email history: “Thanks again for the fantastic service.” and “I appreciate very much all your time and efforts.” and "Although I'm quite happy with your customer service, I wasn't happy anymore With your products. Thanks anyway for your kind support."

To clarify, there actually was a true issue going on. That portion of Baris’s post is true. Baris’s tune was from early 2011 and at that time there were random reports among tuners everywhere of 2011+ vehicle’s over-riding the commanded air fuel from the tune and going to 1.0 lambda aka 14.08 AFR. At that point it was a mystery of what was going on. Baris was the first time I had ever personally dealt with this and unfortunately when I asked him to data log and give me an opportunity to figure out what was going on he refused and stopped replying to my emails. I completely understood and didn’t blame him.

Fast forward to now, we along with several other tuners have figured out what was causing the 1.0 commanded lambda. The issue is that when the car is making more torque than expected it goes into a protection mode that commands a leaner air fuel because running 14:1 AFR will limit power. If it’s supercharged, you are in trouble but if it’s still naturally aspirated you’ll simply notice a loss of power output. Within the tune file there is a value called Max Time in Torque Limit before ramping, at first it was thought to 0 this out and prevent it from ramping. Unfortunately that did the opposite and caused it to ramp immediately when the torque threshold was exceeded. We now know the correct way to prevent this from happened and keep the commanded air fuel from the tune happening. For other tuners reading this that had not yet figured it out. You’re welcome ;-)

Baris, I apologize that you were not happy with your MPT experience. I do wish you gave us a chance to help and didn’t take our email and request to data log the issue as BS. It was truly sincere and honest. You are more than welcome to email us for an updated tune file with the fix incorporated.

-Mike

J

·
0 Posts
Man I'd love to pick your brain.

What is torque managment and what would be potential downsides to disabling it?

I wish there was a tuning sub-forum here like in other forums.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Well i hope all the other tuners figured this out. I did email MPT about four day ago, to get a tune from them, but they never replied to my email so I just called steeda and they set me up with a tune that I'm waiting for now. To bad, I would have liked the ghost cam tune. And I like how mpt does datalogs as well. Hopefully the steeda tune is just as aggressive

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well i hope all the other tuners figured this out. I did email MPT about four day ago, to get a tune from them, but they never replied to my email so I just called steeda and they set me up with a tune that I'm waiting for now. To bad, I would have liked the ghost cam tune. And I like how mpt does datalogs as well. Hopefully the steeda tune is just as aggressive
I don't have any unanswered emails, maybe check your spam/junk folder. If you want to PM me your email address, I'll search it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep! I currently run MPT Performance. Beyond happy with their tunes. They are family to me.

Mike listens to his customers and does whatever he can to make the best out of your car

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Finally tuned my sixer after a 4 year wait. I considered steeda as well but went with MTP because of their reputation for tuning the 3.7. It was $30 less as well which was nice.

I ordered the performance/street tune instead of race which has firmer shifting. Ken Osborne patiently answered all of my questions on the phone.

My car is no longer a dog. I hated the throttle lag above all else but it's gone now. I was worried that the street tune would have hard shifting but it's perfect. The first 3 gears is where you notice their firmness, and it's a nice feeling while retaining comfort for daily driving. The car has a lot of pull now in all gears. There is nothing herky jerky or suspect about this tune. I get no feeling that anything is being pushed too far. It is solid all around and seems like it would be the tune that Ford should've used. I drove it for 100 km so far, I've both pushed it, and babied it around town...

We discussed the abomination that is adaptive learning and how MPT approaches it. Ken said they know how to adjust the "N" value, which means adaptive learning is not a factor after driving for a few weeks. If this is true, then I won't have to do the Simmons fuse mod which would've been another project and PITA, and no more pulling the fuse! Bonus!

Anyhow, I kinda feel like I got a new car cause after 4 years "the thrill was kinda gone." R.I.P B.B King.

I feel that i can now keep up with any of the 5.0 posers out there which is the most important thing in life.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I feel that i can now keep up with any of the 5.0 posers out there which is the most important thing in life.
WHA?!? Explain yourself immediately!!!!!!!

:wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts