Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GT is Ingot Silver. The silver MRT strut brackets are a close match. Installation was straight forward and fairly simple.

The only issue I ran into was what I had seen with another member's car earlier on. The holes on the lower brackets did not line up with the holes in the fenders by about 1/8 inch. They would not sit flush with the body of the car. I don't have time to piss around and send them back for another set, so I took my Dremel tool and ground the hole of the lower bracket to compensate for the difference. It worked well enough to get the brackets mounted. As for the sound tube, I just zip tied it off to the side.

Overall, I'm mostly satisfied. I'm not happy with the gap between the hood and the top brackets, or the fact that I had to grind the holes on both lower brackets. However, I like the "cleaner" look of the struts over the prop rod. Plus, the hood opens 6" higher than the prop rod did. Hood struts should have just come with the car from the factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
My GT is Ingot Silver. The silver MRT strut brackets are a close match. Installation was straight forward and fairly simple.

The only issue I ran into was what I had seen with another member's car earlier on. The holes on the lower brackets did not line up with the holes in the fenders by about 1/8 inch. They would not sit flush with the body of the car. I don't have time to piss around and send them back for another set, so I took my Dremel tool and ground the hole of the lower bracket to compensate for the difference. It worked well enough to get the brackets mounted. As for the sound tube, I just zip tied it off to the side.

Overall, I'm mostly satisfied. I'm not happy with the gap between the hood and the top brackets, or the fact that I had to grind the holes on both lower brackets. However, I like the "cleaner" look of the struts over the prop rod. Plus, the hood opens 6" higher than the prop rod did. Hood struts should have just come with the car from the factory.
Looks great man. And I agree 100% the struts should come from the factory.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was all set to install CPC struts this weekend on mine. Lower brackets were off about 1/4". Called CPC and the lady asked me to email her photos. She called back and said she wanted her manager to see it and they would call Monday. I don't understand why it's so hard to make this part fit!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was all set to install CPC struts this weekend on mine. Lower brackets were off about 1/4". Called CPC and the lady asked me to email her photos. She called back and said she wanted her manager to see it and they would call Monday. I don't understand why it's so hard to make this part fit!
That happened to me but it turned out I had the fender plates on the wrong side. The back of the hood was slightly lifted when closed. Swapped them around and they fit perfectly. I did find that the fender mounts "rotate" slightly as the hood moving to the full open position tho.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I`m also getting the MRT hood struts on mine and was wondering if any had issues with having the hood slightly lifted when closed.

Thanks for the feedbacks! :bigthumbsup
I also agree that Hood struts should have just come with the car from the factory.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I`m also getting the MRT hood struts on mine and was wondering if any had issues with having the hood slightly lifted when closed.

Thanks for the feedbacks! :bigthumbsup
I also agree that Hood struts should have just come with the car from the factory.
Only happens if you get the fender plates on wrong. It's easy to do. :nono:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Trying to match your MRT install pix for my 2011 V6.

I am so thankful you posted images. The MRT instructions are awful with their poor images. I have them installed; however, my hood will not close. It latches. But there is a 2.5" gap. We keep shining the flashlight under to see what is preventing it from closing all the way. We had to pop several of the clipped wires which we thought were interfering. Will keep trying but as is now, cannot drive like this :-( Help?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for posting this and thanks for the photos. It's very helpful. I'm planning on getting hood struts soon too, and I also think they should have come that way. I mean, come on it's 2013, not 1913.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's an MRT hood strut installation video, but they don't show it closing.

Still scouring the web trying to figure out why my hood will now only close completely with a lot of force. Too much force. Would not want anyone else putting that much force to close my hood. The video is pretty good. I got the matching grabber blue strut mounts. Everything looks like mine, but of course he doesn't show the hood closing. And my hood is the original from Ford (he mentions if you have a mod hood they don't recommend that strut package). Hubby and I are both pretty miffed after blowing a couple of hours on this and finally have settled down with a cold brew to try again to search for answers.

We figure if there was something metal keeping it from closely properly, there would be scratched paint somewhere or something breaking when we close it. But there isn't.

facepalm2.gif

80A012-BLK Mustang MRT Hood Strut Kit Black 2005-2014 | CJ Pony Parts

I am so thankful you posted images. The MRT instructions are awful with their poor images. I have them installed; however, my hood will not close. It latches. But there is a 2.5" gap. We keep shining the flashlight under to see what is preventing it from closing all the way. We had to pop several of the clipped wires which we thought were interfering. Will keep trying but as is now, cannot drive like this :-( Help?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update: Last Saturday night we just finally took the darn things off. Major PITA, the whole thing. rage-smiley.gif We spent another hour scouring the web for tips and advice. Our install matches perfect the link posted above.

I emailed MRT with my original purchase information, problem and the video link and description of the install and uninstall. No reply. Called and left a msg this afternoon: only voice mail the phone number didn't say who I was calling. The phone number was on my receipt. These two MRT struts cost me $147 and if you return there is a 20% restocking fee!

I am going to post this in one other place as there must be a solution and so far no replies with a solution. I am invested into the darn things so just switching brands is not an option.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Update: Last Saturday night we just finally took the darn things off. Major PITA, the whole thing. rage-smiley.gif We spent another hour scouring the web for tips and advice. Our install matches perfect the link posted above.

I emailed MRT with my original purchase information, problem and the video link and description of the install and uninstall. No reply. Called and left a msg this afternoon: only voice mail the phone number didn't say who I was calling. The phone number was on my receipt. These two MRT struts cost me $147 and if you return there is a 20% restocking fee!

I am going to post this in one other place as there must be a solution and so far no replies with a solution. I am invested into the darn things so just switching brands is not an option.
The drivers side bracket will contact the sound tube if you don't unbolt it from the fender. I just tucked mine under the fender.

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks but I don't think mine has a sound tube?

The drivers side bracket will contact the sound tube if you don't unbolt it from the fender. I just tucked mine under the fender.
Well, we looked and I don't think the V6 has one. But other than the V6 not having one, looks like the install should be identical, which is why i was glad to find this original thread. We looked at the sound tube pix on the threads here and compared to mine we were like, yeah, that's just a GT thang. We just sat the lap top up at the car and followed step by step, photo by photo, video clip by video clip. If you think that the V6 has one (?) let me know, but I think that is just on the GTs.? I only got a "purr" not a "roar". hee hee hee

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry, I didn't notice yours was a V6. You are right no sound tube. Have you tried removing the strut from 1 side at a time and closing the hood. That might help isolate the obstruction or help to see why it is binding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts