Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Since this additive is now on national backorder, if anyone has an alternative source, please let me know.

Here is the email I received from the parts department at my local dealer:

I called my Motorcraft supplier and they called their sources
about the XL-18 fluid. They too show that it’s a good number but
say that it is on backorder from Ford with no ETA. I will let you
know when I hear anything new.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Since this additive is now on national backorder, if anyone has an alternative source, please let me know.

Here is the email I received from the parts department at my local dealer:

[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]
Damn - Is it possible that with their wisdom they only made one bottle and I got it?

Harvey

·
Registered
896 Posts
Probably not.

My thinking is that you got a bottle, posted it here on the forum, and so many people hopped on ordering it, I can't get it for now.

I want my XL-18 and I want it now.

·
Registered
896 Posts
No XL-18
NO PEACE

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Probably not.

My thinking is that you got a bottle, posted it here on the forum, and so many people hopped on ordering it, I can't get it for now.

I want my XL-18 and I want it now.
It is a little mind numbing to think that they finally came up with a fix and then only make a few gallons. They should have made tank car's full and send a letter to every Mustang owner in the country.

Harvey

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I wonder if the shortage is because its going in the transmision on the assembly line as they might have priority.confused013.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, let's assume this fluid becomes available again ...

If I already have the QDC fluid in my transmission, is it correct that I can just go ahead and add XL-18 on top of that and be done?!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I saved my original fluid when I changed to Redline MTL. I think there was a TSB where some other fluid was used. My car was Feb 3rd build one week before the 12's went into production. So I am not really sure what fluid was used before the TSB. I never went for the TSB because it seemed to have limited success.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think this fluid comes straight from area 51, thats why its on back order, it has to clear homeland security initiatives!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
This additive doesn't necessarily mean you would have to go back to the Ford fluid to use it.
I would think you would have to if you wanted the best results. Various fluids have differently proportioned and structured friction modifiers in them. I have no doubt that Ford developed XL18 to work with their Motorcraft QDC, and not with MTL or Synchromax.

Sychros are pretty touchy with different fluids. The MT82 seems to be touchier than most, so I wouldn't chance it with a non-Ford spec oil.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Harvey - you're the hero here - you actually went out and did what Ford said should be done and demonstrated that it works. Congratulations! It take courage to buck the internet wisdom, and you did it. Well done!

·
Registered
186 Posts
So would this stuff be worth a shot if I'm already using Amsoil in the tranny?
If you are already using Amsoil MTF Synchromesh, you are wasting your money. Motorcraft DCT transmission fluid + the cost of the new "miracle" additive @ 39.00 per bottle is a rip off.

Especially when Amsoil MTF corrects all shifting issues in the MT-82, for all climates, and at only $9.80 per quart for preferred customers.

The money this thread will provoke Mustang owners to invest is astounding, when MTF has already solved the issue for a lot less.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Harvey - you're the hero here - you actually went out and did what Ford said should be done and demonstrated that it works. Congratulations! It take courage to buck the internet wisdom, and you did it. Well done!
I appreciate the pat on the back but YOU are the one that dug the information out of obscurity. If it wasn't for you sharp eye I'd still be driving around cursing my tranny. Good job to both of us. I sure hope this miracle drug becomes available for the rest of the sick patients.

Harvey

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm not sure just what the issue is but my '13 is not having any issues in shifting. She only has about 5200 miles so if it's something that takes time to show up, that could explain it. Also, I don't race her so I'm not abusing the shifter or tranny. All gears seem very smooth going in or out though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are already using Amsoil MTF Synchromesh, you are wasting your money. Motorcraft DCT transmission fluid + the cost of the new "miracle" additive @ 39.00 per bottle is a rip off.

Especially when Amsoil MTF corrects all shifting issues in the MT-82, for all climates, and at only $9.80 per quart for preferred customers.

The money this thread will provoke Mustang owners to invest is astounding, when MTF has already solved the issue for a lot less.
Gotta agree with you on this one. Especially with the op replacing the oil and adding the mystery additive at the same time. There is no way to quantify which of the 2 made a difference. 3 quarts of MTF on order.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

21 - 40 of 269 Posts