Ford Mustang Forum banner

81 - 100 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
XL-18 is medium tan color, similar to the color of QDC or regular motor oil. All I know is it is now day 3 and its even better. After adding it with fresh QDC the first run out of the driveway was better, but not convincing but after about 150 miles now, all I can say is wow.:banana: This is a totally differnt gearbox. 2nd gear blockout and notchyness on a cold car is gone, 3rd gear nibble before warmup gone ,4th gear slight whine gone. The shifter just feels the way it did in all of my previos Mustangs. Just slides right into gear. As far as longevity of the modifier, who knows. But I do know it has made me love my car again, before the nagging "wonder if this gear will engage" for the first 15 of driving is gone. I would recommend for everyone that has the same issues as me to go get a bottle. If this turns out to be bad for the tranny down the road, oh well....Ford recommended it so its their problem . Powertrain warranty is 60k and I'm at 15k, so I can give this XL-18 a good long test.
I feel better now that someone else is getting the same results I got. Since I live in San Diego I only have one pair of long pants and I'm not sure where they are so I have no experience with really cold weather. It will be interesting to see how the guys in the northern states do this winter. I hated my tranny for 18 months and now I love it - good luck to all.

Harvey

·
Registered
561 Posts
My '13, that I bought this last winter, only has 5.5k on it but I have no problems with the tranny. This may just lend credence to what Brian Cour said about it being in the newer cars. Really, I'm happy with everything about my car.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My '13, that I bought this last winter, only has 5.5k on it but I have no problems with the tranny. This may just lend credence to what Brian Cour said about it being in the newer cars. Really, I'm happy with everything about my car.
I have a 14 and works great, but after it warms up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ordered a bottle today from Tousley for 19$.
Nobody has it in stock it comes directly from the supplier as it isnt available at the Ford depot yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put $60 of Royal Purple 75w90 gear(not SM) and $50 for Jiffy Lube to put it in. It shifts great when warm and for some reason leaks thru vent tube now and then. I wish I had known there was an additive. I really would like the smooth shift all the time because its als a daily driver,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there any place I can call that would ship the fluid to my house? I have called two dealers in the Pittsburgh area but none of them were able (or willing) to get me the product.dissapointed.gif

·
Registered
498 Posts
...Amsoil removed all MT82 recommendations from their website soon as customers starting having trouble with the transmission. Knowing it's mechanical failure, Amsoil wanted no part of it.
I'm not sure it's fair to call it a "mechanical failure". More that the MT-82 is a "picky eater". For the majority of cases, the factory stuff works fine. For the edge cases, some aftermarket products work better, and now Ford has brought out an additive to help those edge cases perform better.

Regardless, Amsoil's decision to keep their distance from a no-win situation was probably wise.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Amoil doing fine by me, I've had it in for 2 years not 1 issue!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I put $60 of Royal Purple 75w90 gear(not SM) and $50 for Jiffy Lube to put it in. It shifts great when warm and for some reason leaks thru vent tube now and then. I wish I had known there was an additive. I really would like the smooth shift all the time because its als a daily driver,

Because they overfilled it

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's funny that most everyone here has the transmission problem. Ford is saying that like only 3% of the MTs have a problem. We must have all 3% here.

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
It shifts great when warm and for some reason leaks thru vent tube now and then.
That's 'cause Iffy Lube overfilled it. Correct level is 1/8" below filler hole. It should stop once the excess is blown out.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I dont have any tranny problems even with 629 hp going through it. Theres a difference between having an actual problem and wanting your tranny to be better!

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's funny that most everyone here has the transmission problem. Ford is saying that like only 3% of the MTs have a problem. We must have all 3% here.
Yes I think its more for prevention than actual a bad tranny. I drag it sometimes once a week a want it to not only shift smoother/faster but last longer with the aggressive shifts. Like with everything else I replaced on it that turned to make a real sports car I also changed fluids.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yep, that's because one who have issues scream the loudest. If that what Ford is saying it's mostly true. I know guys with issues will say NO it's more than that because internet forums say so. Forums don't represent all the Mustang owners

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yep, that's because one who have issues scream the loudest. If that what Ford is saying it's mostly true. I know guys with issues will say NO it's more than that because internet forums say so. Forums don't represent all the Mustang owners
100% correct! Also most people on forums beat the sh!t out of thier car and notice things like this more, than the average driver.

It's like when I see threads of guys saying they waive to other mustang drivers and they DONT waive back or when talking with them aren't as giddy about thier car...people on forums are massive enthusiasts, a massive majority arent that way...

How many people are on this forum that have a mt-82 trans? Let's shoot for the sky and say 1,000 and anytime I read these threads there are maybe 50-75 people that complain...and how many mustangs has Ford sold with the mt-82....thousands upon thousands..so yes it is very conceiveble that it's only 3%. Plus an independent investigation was launched and it was determined it's not a massive issue, like everyone seems to think on the forums, like we are the only ford customers...lol...it sucks, but its not a sky is falling epidemic like the forum folk think it is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
XL-18 can be purchased through Ted Britt Ford Chantilly Va, cost out the door $24.08.
I have installed the .91 oz bottle and will report back later after I can evaluate if for a few days, etc.

Thx...

·
Registered
561 Posts
100% correct! Also most people on forums beat the sh!t out of thier car and notice things like this more, than the average driver.

It's like when I see threads of guys saying they waive to other mustang drivers and they DONT waive back or when talking with them aren't as giddy about thier car...people on forums are massive enthusiasts, a massive majority arent that way...

How many people are on this forum that have a mt-82 trans? Let's shoot for the sky and say 1,000 and anytime I read these threads there are maybe 50-75 people that complain...and how many mustangs has Ford sold with the mt-82....thousands upon thousands..so yes it is very conceiveble that it's only 3%. Plus an independent investigation was launched and it was determined it's not a massive issue, like everyone seems to think on the forums, like we are the only ford customers...lol...it sucks, but its not a sky is falling epidemic like the forum folk think it is.

Yeah, I understand and agree with all of this. I was just being Capt. Obvious. Many people will come here after they have a problem and are seeking answers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I assume the additive is only for the dual-clutch fluid? How do you know what fluid you have? Build date?
Yes, Build date. The early 2011 and 2012? Mustangs came with the heavier QS fluid. The fluid was changed in 2012? When exactly I do not know. I am sure someone on the forums knows the answer.

81 - 100 of 269 Posts