Ford Mustang Forum banner

101 - 120 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
XL-18 can be purchased through Ted Britt Ford Chantilly Va, cost out the door $24.08.
I have installed the .91 oz bottle and will report back later after I can evaluate if for a few days, etc.

Thx...
Do you know if they have it in stock? Or do you have to order it? I'm only about 3-4 miles from there (that's where I bought my Mustang). Maybe I'll swing by this week.

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you know if they have it in stock? Or do you have to order it? I'm only about 3-4 miles from there (that's where I bought my Mustang). Maybe I'll swing by this week.

Thanks!
They have to order it, 3 days max. See Collin and or Matt at parts.... Thx.

·
Registered
127 Posts
XL-18 Picked up at Ted Britt Ford Chantilly Va on 9/14/13 @9am, cost out the door $24.08.
Installed additive 9/14/13 @10am.

Car:
Early Build (June 2010) 2011 Mustang GT Brembo, 17.5K miles. 3:73 gears, trans factory filled with "QS"fluid, Stock shifter, cue ball knob, replaced cheesey stock rubber shifter bushing with polyurethane bushing ($20.00). Trans makes no noise, whining or whirring...never did and still is quiet after 3 different fluids. Car completely stock except for what's listed above. Car has not had any warranty or other service other than regular LOF every 5K miles and the TSB applied to fix hot hard start issues.

Trans issues:
1.Shifting into 2nd when cold, the typical nibble and or light grind. Learned to skip 2nd until eng warmed to temp. The colder out the worse the nibble/grind.
2.Occasional issue with finding 1st from stop.... have to reset to neutral, move to 2nd then re-engage 1st.
3.Trans at times appears inconsistent, sometimes notchy and vague in the 1st 4 gears. Most of time trans works well when hot.
4.Shifting 1st to 2nd when making turns, will grind or nibble every time regardless of direrction turned or temp of trans.

History/Observations/experience:
Shifted great the summer of 2010 (took delivery 6/29/2010). Shifted bad from 1st to 2nd fall/winter of 2010 when trans cold. Spring of 2011 switched from QS to Redline MTL which appeared to help some (maybe 10-15% improvement when trans cold) then of course the weather warmed and little isue with trans during summer months. (Although inconsistencies from time to time, occasional nibble into 3rd/4th when trans is fully warmed).
Late 2012 changed to QDC fluid, again a slight improvement in cold weather shifting, not enough to write mom though.
9/14/2013 added the XL-18 and noticed a slight improvement in feel.
Car sat outside overnight here in No. Va. (9/18/13) and temp dropped to 42F. 75 miles at this point on additive. Start, warm for 2 minutes take off in 1st, shift to 2nd and boom the dreaded nibble/grind. 8 miles to work... trans shifted fine once I neared work.

Conclusions:
1. Nibble/grind still apparent, no change noted. (Will it lessen after more miles?)
2. Finding 1st appeared better, although not a big deal to start with.
3. Shifting appears cleaner and crisper once warmed. I did notice an improvement in all around feel.
4. No change and frankly did not expect any as this appears to be motor mount related and the movement that occurs between motor/trans and the body mounted shifter. (Next upgrade: Whiteline trans insert once they finalize their design for NVH?)

Miles on XL-18 to date = 91 miles.

More eval to come as miles rack up.

In a nutshell: Some improvement and moving in the right direction. Certainly isn't making anything worse. Magic bullet? No such thing. Certainly others have worse issues and the vast majority have little to no issues.

All things mechanical have idiosyncrasies and you learn to live with them (Or die trying).

I'm probably one of the luckier ones, the only real issue is cold trans and shifting around corners. (Sounds like a personal problem).

Standard disclaimers apply. Placebo affect is always there since I am human. Your mileage may (read "will") vary .

Stay tuned.

.... Thx.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have always had trouble while turning even with stiffer motor mounts. Removed them due to NVH. Hoping this additive helps some. we'll see. If all else fails (including transmission) they can be had for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
186 Posts
XL-18 can be purchased through Ted Britt Ford Chantilly Va, cost out the door $24.08.
I have installed the .91 oz bottle and will report back later after I can evaluate if for a few days, etc.

Thx...
Sure it a lot of money to invest for an additive, when Amsoil MTF Synchromesh is working fine without it.

Heck, could you imagine putting this additive in MTF? I'm curious how that would perform. However, Amsoil's stance on additives is....

If you must use a third party additive to allow any lubricant to perform as intended, you chose the wrong lubricant in the first place.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sure it a lot of money to invest for an additive, when Amsoil MTF Synchromesh is working fine without it.

Heck, could you imagine putting this additive in MTF? I'm curious how that would perform. However, Amsoil's stance on additives is....

If you must use a third party additive to allow any lubricant to perform as intended, you chose the wrong lubricant in the first place.
I had MTF, slight improvement. The xl-18 has made a dramatic improvement. I do believe that every one of these cars are different and may respond different to the additive. Thats the joy of Chinese quality control, one tranny will be perfect,the next a boat anchor. I'm shocked Sleeperjoe had so little improvement, when my results were so dramatic. I might acctually keep this car now, I was planning on trading it in on a 2015 ASAP.Now I can wait a year and let somebody else work all the bugs out of the 2015.

·
Registered
213 Posts
XL-18 Picked up at Ted Britt Ford Chantilly Va on 9/14/13 @9am, cost out the door $24.08.
Installed additive 9/14/13 @10am.

Car:
Early Build (June 2010) 2011 Mustang GT Brembo, 17.5K miles. 3:73 gears, trans factory filled with "QS"fluid, Stock shifter, cue ball knob, replaced cheesey stock rubber shifter bushing with polyurethane bushing ($20.00). Trans makes no noise, whining or whirring...never did and still is quiet after 3 different fluids. Car completely stock except for what's listed above. Car has not had any warranty or other service other than regular LOF every 5K miles and the TSB applied to fix hot hard start issues.

Trans issues:
1.Shifting into 2nd when cold, the typical nibble and or light grind. Learned to skip 2nd until eng warmed to temp. The colder out the worse the nibble/grind.
2.Occasional issue with finding 1st from stop.... have to reset to neutral, move to 2nd then re-engage 1st.
3.Trans at times appears inconsistent, sometimes notchy and vague in the 1st 4 gears. Most of time trans works well when hot.
4.Shifting 1st to 2nd when making turns, will grind or nibble every time regardless of direrction turned or temp of trans.

History/Observations/experience:
Shifted great the summer of 2010 (took delivery 6/29/2010). Shifted bad from 1st to 2nd fall/winter of 2010 when trans cold. Spring of 2011 switched from QS to Redline MTL which appeared to help some (maybe 10-15% improvement when trans cold) then of course the weather warmed and little isue with trans during summer months. (Although inconsistencies from time to time, occasional nibble into 3rd/4th when trans is fully warmed).
Late 2012 changed to QDC fluid, again a slight improvement in cold weather shifting, not enough to write mom though.
9/14/2013 added the XL-18 and noticed a slight improvement in feel.
Car sat outside overnight here in No. Va. (9/18/13) and temp dropped to 42F. 75 miles at this point on additive. Start, warm for 2 minutes take off in 1st, shift to 2nd and boom the dreaded nibble/grind. 8 miles to work... trans shifted fine once I neared work.

Conclusions:
1. Nibble/grind still apparent, no change noted. (Will it lessen after more miles?)
2. Finding 1st appeared better, although not a big deal to start with.
3. Shifting appears cleaner and crisper once warmed. I did notice an improvement in all around feel.
4. No change and frankly did not expect any as this appears to be motor mount related and the movement that occurs between motor/trans and the body mounted shifter. (Next upgrade: Whiteline trans insert once they finalize their design for NVH?)

Miles on XL-18 to date = 91 miles.

More eval to come as miles rack up.

In a nutshell: Some improvement and moving in the right direction. Certainly isn't making anything worse. Magic bullet? No such thing. Certainly others have worse issues and the vast majority have little to no issues.

All things mechanical have idiosyncrasies and you learn to live with them (Or die trying).

I'm probably one of the luckier ones, the only real issue is cold trans and shifting around corners. (Sounds like a personal problem).

Standard disclaimers apply. Placebo affect is always there since I am human. Your mileage may (read "will") vary .

Stay tuned.

.... Thx.
I'm gettin mine installed tomorrow at sheehy ford Springfield. Did you just dump in the XL-18 or do a complete trans flush?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Now thats a complete review thanks, get the motor mounts and the tranny mount it will help big time! I have the motor mounts and i have no 2nd gear grind!!!! Dont have the tranny mount yet!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Guys;

just dumped it in on top of the QDC. Thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
Spradley Barr just called me. My bottle is awaiting pickup.

I probably will not add the XL-18 until my next QDC transmission oil change in about 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks harvey

We have 12k on our car now and its still running...not smooth or quiet, but still running.
Had to take it in at 1400 mi. for a rear diff howl and shifting probs. they replaced ring/pinion and bearings to fix the diff successfully.

The transmission however, not so much. second gear set was replaced and did not make much difference.
I specifically asked the service staff if there was an additive to help at that time.

I think I will go down and have them install the fluid at no charge.

The other thing I have noticed recently is that the shift lever moves forward and back on accel/decel in 1st and 3rd...does anyone know if this is a normal characteristic that I am just noticing (I don't do stop n go traffic very often) or is this another indication of a problem?anyone.gif

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
We have 12k on our car now and its still running...not smooth or quiet, but still running.
Had to take it in at 1400 mi. for a rear diff howl and shifting probs. they replaced ring/pinion and bearings to fix the diff successfully.

The transmission however, not so much. second gear set was replaced and did not make much difference.
I specifically asked the service staff if there was an additive to help at that time.

I think I will go down and have them install the fluid at no charge.

The other thing I have noticed recently is that the shift lever moves forward and back on accel/decel in 1st and 3rd...does anyone know if this is a normal characteristic that I am just noticing (I don't do stop n go traffic very often) or is this another indication of a problem?anyone.gif
The only time its normal for the shifter to move is when you move it!, it moves because your stock motor mounts are soft to dampen noise but that increases movement. your rear tranny mount is so soft you can climb under your car and shake your whole tranny by grabbing the rear tail shaft. Ford was more concerned with noise reduction then keeping the remote mount shifter from moving around thus contributing to poor shift quality!

S

·
0 Posts
I can't get this in Canada, would anyone know where I can buy it online and have it shipped to me?
If our Official Ford Rep. "Deysha" cannot help you (And I know that Our Residend "Goddess" named "Deysha" Will Help:shigrin)
You can also contact our Other "Official Ford Rep here in the Forum with the Username
FordServiceCA .....

Sean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So is it safe to assume that the shifter movement(approx 3/16") in first and third upon light accel/decel at slow speeds is a normal characteristic of a stock 2013 mustang?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My stock shifter moved like yours until i installed an mgw shifter, have you seen the stock rear mounting location of the stock shifter? Its a cheap piece of steel which has soft rubber in it and the rubber is held to it with 2 plastic zip ties. I'll say it again, ford chose noise reduction over the quality shifts you would get with firmer parts in the areas of " motor mounts" "tranny mounts" and "rear shifter mounts". Thankfully the after market has fixes for all these issues that plague todays mustang. Trust me i have replaced my shifter with an mgw, and my motor mounts, and those 2 things have made a big difference in my shifting quality.

F

·
0 Posts
I can't get this in Canada, would anyone know where I can buy it online and have it shipped to me?
Your dealer should be able to order this for you, fritzep. If you need any further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact FordServiceCA.

If our Official Ford Rep. "Deysha" cannot help you (And I know that Our Residend "Goddess" named "Deysha" Will Help:shigrin)
You can also contact our Other "Official Ford Rep here in the Forum with the Username
FordServiceCA .....

Sean.
Thanks again, Sean Reilly!

Deysha

101 - 120 of 269 Posts