Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has had a bad throwout bearing if so what kind of noises were being heard? I also noticed that the input shaft bearing is making noise as well. I can hear some funky noises at the shifter as well as outside of the car, sounds metallic like a scraping noise from 1st gear through 4th not so much in 5th or 6th

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
They typically sound kinda like a wheel bearing going bad...... not a grind noise but more of a whine

Reactions: dusman59

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They typically sound kinda like a wheel bearing going bad...... not a grind noise but more of a whine
I have the Ford Premium ESP which covers the whole transmission, it's just finding a trust worthy dealership to do the work. No grinding sounds as far as I can hear

Update:
Saturday I had decided to remove the shift knob from my Barton shifter and just check the shifter for tightness. All is good there for tightness, I did notice there's a little play in the handle, rotational from left to right not much though. I ended up adding about 15 turns of teflon tape before re-installing the shift knob. Pretty much all noises have disappeared except now I hear a noise external when the car is good and hot from 1st to 4th, metallic and I'm wondering if the clutch is just worn out at 62K. My input shaft bearing noise is still there and I made an appointment with Ford for that, I may have them do the clutch, TOB and flywheel while their in there. Should save me labor as the bearing would be covered under the Ford ESP

Update to the update:
:cautious: Driving home from work yesterday and the awful noises are back. I had removed the shift knob for my ride home and no changes to the noise. I'm wondering if it's possibly low on fluid without signs of a leak.

Another update:
Took the transmission technician for a ride yesterday, good guy in his mid 60's, he heard every noise I pointed out which was a good thing. He thinks most of the noise is the throw out bearing but will go through the whole transmission while it's on the bench. He also thought it was strange that it only makes noise 1st through 4th and is quiet 5th and 6th. I also mentioned the random grind going into 6th on cold mornings. Car gets dropped off on the 30th for diagnostics ( trans removal )

Just a quick update:
Dropped off the car this morning, got a call from the service advisor at 11:30 am. The technician found the fluid a little low, topped off the fluid took it for a ride and no change in noise. He's thinking that it's a bearing internally. Service advisor then say's the technician can't pull the transmission until he's finished with a lifter job on another car. Burns me a little because I took the technician for a ride 10 days ago and I thought todays appointment was to do the tear down of the transmission. The service advisor clearly doesn't remember that when he was setting this appointment he made sure that the technician had no other big jobs to do. Oh well... now the waiting game has started. I'll keep updating as this progresses with details of the noise

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
Burns me a little because I took the technician for a ride 10 days ago and I thought todays appointment was to do the tear down of the transmission. The service advisor clearly doesn't remember that when he was setting this appointment he made sure that the technician had no other big jobs to do. Oh well... now the waiting game has started. I'll keep updating as this progresses with details of the noise
Yeah, I’d be a little unhappy about that too. It won’t do any good to raise a stink at this point. You wouldn’t want an angry tech working on your transmission. However, after it’s done (and you’re sure it’s to your satisfaction) you will get a survey. Just remember, it’s not the tech that pushed you back. It’s the ticket-writers.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I’d be a little unhappy about that too. It won’t do any good to raise a stink at this point. You wouldn’t want an angry tech working on your transmission. However, after it’s done (and you’re sure it’s to your satisfaction) you will get a survey. Just remember, it’s not the tech that pushed you back. It’s the ticket-writers.
I actually like the technician that will be servicing my transmission, nothing better than having an older gentleman that all he works on is motors and transmissions to work on your car. Kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, I could do without the ticket-writers, as they seem to think they know more than you when it comes to cars, little do they know I was a mechanic for 15 years so it's not my first rodeo

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
It’s good you are getting an experienced tech, that you have respect and have confidence in. That should make the wait a little less bothersome.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s good you are getting an experienced tech, that you have respect and have confidence in. That should make the wait a little less bothersome.
I am definitely going to ask for a new clutch while he is in there, 62K on the clock it certainly wouldn't hurt and would save me some labor

Reactions: crjackson

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
I am definitely going to ask for a new clutch while he is in there, 62K on the clock it certainly wouldn't hurt and would save me some labor
Yep, it only makes sense. It would definitely save you some money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:
Service advisor called yesterday to tell me that the transmission is on a bench and that I don't have a Ford shifter. Then says if we tear this apart and can't find anything we would have to install a Ford shifter and that I would be responsible for the labor plus the cost of the Ford shifter ($1,400 labor plus shifter). It's funny to me that he was stressing the fact that the shifter isn't Ford as if the shifter had caused the internals to make all the noises that it's making. Oh well, I should here from them today when they tear into the transmission

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Update..... Service advisor called yesterday to tell me that the transmission is on a bench and that I don't have a Ford shifter. Then says if we tear this apart and can't find anything we would have to install a Ford shifter and that I would be responsible for the labor plus the cost of the Ford shifter ($1,400 labor plus shifter). It's funny to me that he was stressing the fact that the shifter isn't Ford as if the shifter had caused the internals to make all the noises that it's making. Oh well, I should here from them today when they tear into the transmission
Be prepared I guess. I imagine they’re hoping to blame it on the shifter and probably will. Here it comes. “The aftermarket shifter caused….”

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We could weld a screwdriver in the cup to use as a shifter and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. I would ask them to prove to me that the shifter is the issue. (We all know it's not what caused the transmission to make noise in 4 out of the 6 gears) It just annoys me that these service writers have no clue about cars. They are basically a scheduler and the bearer of bad news for the technicians

Here's the latest update:
Need some advice on "What you would do" just like the tv show. From the last update (Service advisor called yesterday to tell me that the transmission is on a bench and that I don't have a Ford shifter. Then says if we tear this apart and can't find anything we would have to install a Ford shifter and that I would be responsible for the labor plus the cost of the Ford shifter ($1,400 labor plus shifter). ) Well they tore into the transmission and didn't find anything, tells me I need a throw out bearing. Ummm why didn't that get mentioned prior to talking to me about tearing into the transmission? I would have stopped right there and not have the transmission torn apart had he mentioned it. I had asked for the clutch to be replaced and he asks ( do you want an aftermarket clutch or Ford? (In my head I'm saying you are stressing the fact that I have an aftermarket shifter and you are offering an aftermarket clutch?) I said Ford clutch is fine. Gives me a price of $1,850 which includes the unnecessary tear down of the transmission, if they even tore it down. Never offered a rental which is covered under the warranty, even after they found the throw out bearing which should have been the first thing looked at since the technician said it was a throw out bearing during our ride together.. What would you do? Would you reach out to the general manager? Would you pay the $1,850?

Well I met with the general manager yesterday after work. He will be cutting the pricing down (number of labor hours) apparently it didn't take 10 hours to check out the internals of the transmission. That was cut down to 5, the throw out bearing that's covered under warranty will absorb most of the labor and then the added clutch. Not sure of the final price yet but at least I know it will be less than the quote of $1,850

Update:
Car was ready yesterday, I will be picking it up tomorrow and before I pay the lovely $1,537.50 I will be taking a ride with the general manager to make sure that the noises I heard are gone. Fingers are crossed... wish me luck

Well well well, didn't hear anything yesterday when we went for a ride. Today is a different story. Listen to the first 30 seconds and tell me if you're Mt82 sounds like this. It can be heard outside of the car as well

I'm wondering if any of you with the MT82 transmission have any noises. I have a rotational noise that is heard inside and out of the car. My car was at Ford for 3 weeks and they kept telling me that it was because I don't have a factory Ford shifter. Listen to the video, it's from 1st through 4th gear and not 5th or 6th.

Bump Anyone have a noise like in the video that sounds like a rotational metallic sound? 1st through 4th gear?

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
My hearing isn’t that great, and I wasn’t able to isolate any specific noise that sounded rotational and abnormal. In your position, I’d take it to a well known independent shop for an opinion, and then to a different Ford dealer. The original dealership might not be the best place for an unbiased answer.

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
Mike, did you ever get this resolved? Please post an update.

You’ve really run the gauntlet with this thing. I hope you don’t have a lot of money tied up in this transmission. Your troubles have helped me decide a few things about my own car.

I’ve had absolutely no problems with my MT82, and no unusual noises. Mine has the stock shifter, an OEM clutch, and stressed with tons of power. I fully expect that at some point I’m going to need transmission work. You have helped me to decide to go straight to Ben Calimer and make arrangements to have him refurbish mine with all the upgrades, or just buy one straight-out.

In any case, I sure hope you have this resolved soon.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Mike, did you ever get this resolved? Please post an update.

You’ve really run the gauntlet with this thing. I hope you don’t have a lot of money tied up in this transmission. Your troubles have helped me decide a few things about my own car.

I’ve had absolutely no problems with my MT82, and no unusual noises. Mine has the stock shifter, an OEM clutch, and stressed with tons of power. I fully expect that at some point I’m going to need transmission work. You have helped me to decide to go straight to Ben Calimer and make arrangements to have him refurbish mine with all the upgrades, or just buy one straight-out.

In any case, I sure hope you have this resolved soon.
The dealership asked me to drop off the car next Wednesday, they claim that they have a Ford engineer coming to take a listen to my noise. I know that it's not normal, I bought the car with 3,850 miles and was quiet. The car didn't have an OEM shifter. Someone installed a first generation Hurst shifter that was sloppy and had no reverse lock out. I upgraded to a Barton shifter and bracket. I was looking at Calimer transmissions, I would like to go stage 2. Calimer told me that stage 1 has the same noise level as stock and stage 2 was quieter than that. No warranty on any of the transmissions which to me is risky. I don't race the car, I'm a very spirited driver. The Ford tech told me that my clutch that he replaced was only 50% worn at 62k. I don't even lay rubber on the street. Man I'm boring lol... I have a friend of a friend that works at a different Ford that I will have drive the car before I drop it off at the original Ford dealership to get a second opinion. Oh forgot to mention that I opened up a case with Ford customer relations as well

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
Yeah, I get the warranty thing. Especially with the issues you’re having. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another update.... Just dropped off the car this morning at the same dealer, they have an Field Service Engineer that will be taking my car out for a ride today. We'll see what transpires after his ride

Well that was a complete waste of my time, I don't believe that there was a FSE at the dealer. The car was only driven for 5 miles after I specifically said that you'll need to drive the car for a bit. Well the dealership was still trying to say that my rotational noise is my Barton shifter,and that the new clack noise that they gave me for free is my exhaust. Which is all [email protected] and anyone with common sense would know that they're just incompetent. Going to find a different dealership or maybe purchase a Calimer stage 2 mt82

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pulled the trigger on a Calimer stage 2 transmission. I have read a lot of reviews and watched review videos. I'm thinking this would be a good fit for me as this is a daily spirited driver, no track and not adding any much more power. I'll let you know how it goes once I get it installed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts