Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im new here but I think it was time to start getting into forums, anyway recently I started experiencing problems with my transmission, every time now when im shifting into second it goes in with no problems but as soon as im about to let go of the clutch the stick pops out, even when im at a stop and I press the clutch and put it in second it goes in no problem just like when im driving but if I let go of the clutch to take off it pops out also, now this is not all the times, if I throw the stick into second really fast it will actually stay in or if I put the car in first then second it will not pop out. Also if im driving and throw it fast into second like for example doing some high rpm shifting it goes in but I can feel a slight clash or grind on the stick. My car is a 2013 with 65k miles on it already because I do a lot of highway to and from work everyday. I purchased the car used with 11k miles and based on the carfax before I had the car it looks like ford had already did a trans rebuild, and not 5 months ago my third gear had a nasty grind and they fix it once again and now it looks like is the third time. Problem is this time is out of warranty and now I might have to pay Ford to fix it again with the same crappy parts as they did before.

I went ahead and swapped the QDC fluid that it has stock and went with Royal Purple MaxGear 75w90 oil since I have seen a lot of guys having success with this and it got a bit better but it still messed up. Is this caused because my second gear syncro is failing ? I don't understand why sometimes it just shifts normally into second. I have already contacted Deysha by PM and hope to hear from her as soon as possible, this is really irritating that I still have 5 more years of payments on this car and im looking at spending 5k or more into getting my trans fixed up.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Something people aren't aware of. If ford repairs or replaces a component that component gets a brand new 12month 12k warranty. They might try to stiff you but it's worth a try. Plus you have had more than one problem with the transmission. So there is a history of issues. Sometimes that will get you further when just outside the warranty. If they refuse to help then maybe consider upgrading the tranny instead of paying for repairs to a trashed MT82.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Deysha may be able to help you here.

Touch base with her - she has a very good reputation !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already contacted her with PMs just waiting on her answer. Im just afraid the dealer might try to denied everything because I have long tube headers and a cai filter installed, when the first time the car went in for repairs the car had a boss 302 manifold and cat deletes lol and they did not say anything, anyway lets see what happens. This is really frustrating that you pay for a 30k car and It already has had 3 trans problems and not a real solution can be found. Anyway keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I wonder if fitting a better shifter, such as an MGW or Barton would fix the problem? The OEM shifters are pretty sloppy and imprecise. Perhaps the shifter just isn't firmly placing it fully into gear?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if fitting a better shifter, such as an MGW or Barton would fix the problem? The OEM shifters are pretty sloppy and imprecise. Perhaps the shifter just isn't firmly placing it fully into gear?
I have already tried with a Hurst Shifter and no fix, its internally damaged for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most likely its a 2nd gear failure. You're going to need a new 2nd gear, new 2nd gear synchronizer ring and potentially a new 1/2 synchronizer assembly. I would also suggest bronze fork pads and shift rail stop bushing while its a part.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When gears pop out like that, its is almost guaranteed that gear is done and the tranny needs removal and fixing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts