Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all that are interested in this topic. The purpose of this thread is to just post some tips to help anyone operate the MT82 transmission smoothly. I know there are many threads about its problems but this thread is built to make us smooth operators and hopefully extend the life of this transmission well beyond our contracts!

First off, I'm just focusing on the bone-stock setup of the MT82 with the 2013 Mustang GT since that is what I drive and these tips should apply to those with 2011's and 2012's with stock setups.

So please, if you know of some tips that helped for smoother shifting (minus aftermarket mods) then post them.

Cold Morning - First Start
1. Set parking break and shift to neutral

2. Start engine and let it run for at least 2-5 mins

3. During engine warm-up, hold down the clutch and brake and cycle through all the gears at least three times.

4. Ready to go!

Shifting while driving
1. My smoothest rpm for shifting on the go is 3500rpm

2. Let off the gas while pushing the clutch all most all of the way to the floor before shifting.

3. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is always a straight down while pressing to the left shift for me. Continue to hold clutch if it is blocked <usually for a split second> until shift is complete.

4. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd <normally the notchiest when under 3500rpm> I pause at neutral from half a second then push straight up into 3rd.

5. 4th-6th should be the easier shifts since you are at speed and have the most time to shift and they for some reason are more forgiving anyways.

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
A few things I've done on a cold transmission that work for me. After she warms up all is good.

1. Start in second until I've driven a few miles.
2. 1 - 2 shift at 2K or less and done with pause at neutral.
3. 1 - 3 shift skipping 2 altogether.

Clutch always need to be pushed to the floor in these cars.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hello to all that are interested in this topic. The purpose of this thread is to just post some tips to help anyone operate the MT82 transmission smoothly. I know there are many threads about its problems but this thread is built to make us smooth operators and hopefully extend the life of this transmission well beyond our contracts!

First off, I'm just focusing on the bone-stock setup of the MT82 with the 2013 Mustang GT since that is what I drive and these tips should apply to those with 2011's and 2012's with stock setups.

So please, if you know of some tips that helped for smoother shifting (minus aftermarket mods) then post them.

3. During engine warm-up, hold down the clutch and brake and cycle through all the gears at least three times.

4. Ready to go!

Shifting while driving

2. Let off the gas while pushing the clutch all most all of the way to the floor before shifting.

3. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is always a straight down while pressing to the left shift for me. Continue to hold clutch if it is blocked <usually for a split second> until shift is complete.

4. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd <normally the notchiest when under 3500rpm> I pause at neutral from half a second then push straight up into 3rd.

5. 4th-6th should be the easier shifts since you are at speed and have the most time to shift and they for some reason are more forgiving anyways.
This is interesting, your tactics should help "loosen" things up before driving. The best thing I've noticed is to just let the car warm up for 5 minutes. Kinda true for any car.. My last car was a 2003 Acura CL-S and it needed a little warm up to shift its best, not nearly as much as the mustang needs it tho.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like driving a semi. Nobody will want to/should have to do half of those things.
Yeah my technique sounds demanding but it beats having to fight with Ford to get a smooth shifting MT82 which appears to be a myth to some who drive mustangs...

For everyone's information, I'm not an expert but just another driver who is trying to figure how this thing WANTS to be driven.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A few things I've done on a cold transmission that work for me. After she warms up all is good.

1. Start in second until I've driven a few miles.
2. 1 - 2 shift at 2K or less and done with pause at neutral.
3. 1 - 3 shift skipping 2 altogether.

Clutch always need to be pushed to the floor in these cars.
This. Unlike most manuals I have driven, it seems like the clutch starts to engage on these cars starting only a few inches off the floor so if the clutch does not hit the floor completely the shift can be very difficult.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This. Unlike most manuals I have driven, it seems like the clutch starts to engage on these cars starting only a few inches off the floor so if the clutch does not hit the floor completely the shift can be very difficult.
I have to disagree here somewhat. In my experience the clutch engages very high up on the pedal in normal everyday driving. But I do agree the car is smoother when I push the clutch all the way in when shifting. I also noticed that if I'm pushing her, the pedal will engage much lower then when I'm shifting at low rpm.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Riley, I do pretty much the same thing. The transmission really does shift best in the 3000-3500 rpm range and with 3.73 gears that's pretty easy to achieve.

I don't let the car warm up for an extended period of time before I drive off though. You're not really warming up the fluid in the transmission with the car parked at idle and the engine will warm up faster when you are driving. I usually just start the car, open the garage door then back out and drive smoothly for the first five minutes or so.

I think rough shifting might just be a way of life sometimes with the transmission. I do get clunks and bangs but it doesn't shift poorly. The noise and the clunks don't bother me though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Best advice I can give is don't fight the shifter or try to guide it. The only time it needs a push is to 5th. Push the shfiter, don't grab hold and try to steer it into each gear. It will find its own way into the proper gear. If it feels stuck going into first, don't force it. Back off, work the clutch a couple of times and try again. It will go in smoothly. Use and oil like Redline MTL or BG. The MTL is not as thick as the stock stuff and not as thin as the dual clutch auto trans fluid. It's thin enough to allow good shifts right down to freezing.

4. Ready to go!

Shifting while driving

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
Best advice I can give is don't fight the shifter or try to guide it. The only time it needs a push is to 5th. Push the shfiter, don't grab hold and try to steer it into each gear. It will find its own way into the proper gear. If it feels stuck going into first, don't force it. Back off, work the clutch a couple of times and try again. It will go in smoothly. Use and oil like Redline MTL or BG. The MTL is not as thick as the stock stuff and not as thin as the dual clutch auto trans fluid. It's thin enough to allow good shifts right down to freezing.
Very sound advice :bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah if anything, I feel that at least cycling through the gears before the first drive of the day would help loosen them up for the rest of the time. Especially since the car sits overnight in the cold and the fluid in the trans has time to thicken. The cycling would at least "stir-up" the fluid in the trans.

Riley, I do pretty much the same thing. The transmission really does shift best in the 3000-3500 rpm range and with 3.73 gears that's pretty easy to achieve.

I don't let the car warm up for an extended period of time before I drive off though. You're not really warming up the fluid in the transmission with the car parked at idle and the engine will warm up faster when you are driving. I usually just start the car, open the garage door then back out and drive smoothly for the first five minutes or so.

I think rough shifting might just be a way of life sometimes with the transmission. I do get clunks and bangs but it doesn't shift poorly. The noise and the clunks don't bother me though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read some of the NHTSA report on the MT82. To me, it basically says that there are no problems with the transmission and that it boils down to driver error. I just simply want to know what we can do as drivers to better understand what Ford thinks we should already know.

If they <Ford and Getrag> built the transmission for aggressive driving, then why not make it more obvious to the buyer? Same goes for "dump-truck" style driving.

Drive it like you stole it!
LMAOROTF!!! You should open up a driving school for manual transmissions!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just avoid going from 1st to 2nd till the car is warmed up. After that its smooth as butter.

The 1st to 2nd is really annoying though when its cold out since it takes a few more miles for it to warm up the fluid. And its really weird how smooth it is after its warmed up. Thank god theres enough torque to skip 2nd or just start in 2nd. No other issues here. 9K on the odometer, still have stock fluid, built in Oct 2011.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems like all the gears go in butter smooth if i stay VERY LIGHTLY into the gas just a split second after pressing the clutch in for a gear shift.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I drive the hell out of mine, feels the same cold or warm and shifts like like every other mustang I have ever driven even at 7500 rpm shifts! :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
my advice, Just get used to it LOL

Sent from Galaxy S3 using TapaHoe

·
Registered
217 Posts
Seems a bit excessive to me. I have posted that the first few 1-2 shifts be double-clutched (yes, like a semi) and that any tranny benefits from a warmup, which can take 5-10 minutes. Idling really does nothing for a manual tranny.

Arguing about what this or that Ford/Getrag/China should know/do/infer about its drivers seems a bit silly, and counterproductive. All I know is I go easy on the box and the engine until is reaches normaloperating temps, and have no ticks, scrapes, grinds, etc. Lucky? Perhaps.

BTW, drivers make tons of errors. Remember unintended acceleration in Audis? Hell, the shifter posts on You Tube show that most people do not know how to hold the shifter properly (based on the 5 driver schools I have attended*). Most hold the knob between their thumb and index finger, rather than using the first 3 fingers on top of the knob as a guide, and the heel of the palm to drive the shifter into position. Try them both and see which one has more precision to it.

*My first was taught by Bob Bondurant himself, and i was not about to argue with BB when i did not use my shifting hand "properly". The proper technique also reduces arm fatigue greatly, important for endurance races.

·
Registered
27 Posts
a little note on warm up.... we all agree that once the oil is warm, the syncros and everything inside the transmision works better.....

5 minutes at idle, doesnt really warm up things as we think...Its recommended that you start driving as soon as posible, easy on rpms, and the car's fluids are going to warm up faster.

If you have oil temp gauge in your car, you can make the experiment..
5 min warm up versus driving easy( below 3k rpm).... I have done it with several cars.... The same happens with the coolant temp, so the engine is at operating temperature sooner....

5 min at idle, it's a waste of gas, at 750rpm the engine is not generating a lot of heat... btw in winter, the heater will work faster....

also I agree that proper "hand work" while shifting is essential, that one of the things to teach in a PCA/ BMW driving school....I will look in you tube to check if someone has a video on the method.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts