Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! This is my first thread so please be kind as I am generally interested in this. With all the issues I've read about on this forum about the new transmissions on the 2011/12 GT/V6 (the MT82) (grinding, difficulty geting into reverse, rough shifting) I'm curious as to why the Shelby has a different transmission then the GT. Is the tremec built only to handle higher torque and HP? Or is the clutch a lot heavier as to make every day drivablility harder on the driver if it were to be placed in the V6 or GT, as they are more likely to be daily drivers than a Shelby? Can you swap out the two transmissions without extra strain on the coyote 5.0? Whats the advantage of having two separate transmissions? If Ford is having issues with the MT82 why not just replace it with the 6 speed tremec? Any thoughts? Ford wanna chime in?

·
Registered
407 Posts
gt500

The GT500 uses a Tremec 6060 trans and twin disc clutch. The GT500s have had their fair share of transmission issues. Do a search for GT500 transmission problems and you will find plenty of info to mull over.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GT500 uses a Tremec 6060 trans and twin disc clutch. The GT500s have had their fair share of transmission issues. Do a search for GT500 transmission problems and you will find plenty of info to mull over.
Thanks for the info! Guess I hadn't read enough about the GT500s to see the problems with the tremec 6060.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for the info! Guess I hadn't read enough about the GT500s to see the problems with the tremec 6060.
TR6060, been there, done that in my Vette. It can be a rock crusher and clunky at times. So far I'm liking the MT 82 MUCH better!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The TR6060 is basically an upgraded version of the Old T56.
Thing is I beleive most of the problems with these transmissions are from the new remote mounted shifters, and is a product of deflection issues. The Old T56 shifters were mounted directly to the trans. My T56 in my `98 F-body was trouble free for 13+ yrs and 151K miles and it was by no means babied.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The TR6060 is a cheaper OEM version of the T56. The T56 magnum and viper spec transmissions conversions are available and handle 800+ ft lbs. MM&FF or 5.0 Magazine has a swap article on there web page....it was in one of the recent issues. I drove a GT500 the other day and it didn't feel any different when shifting, maybe smoother.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Tremec 6060 is less refined than a properly working MT-82 unfortunately you have a much better chance at a having proper working Tremec 6060 than a proper working MT-82.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys thanks for all the great info, I'm new to MT and having just ordered my 12 with a MT all the trouble ppl are having is wrying me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tremec 6060 is less refined than a properly working MT-82 unfortunately you have a much better chance at a having proper working Tremec 6060 than a proper working MT-82.
well said and my thoughts exactly!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I can't chime in on the drivability issues, but as far as the internal gear ratios, I wish I had the 6060. I personally feel that with any modifications on the 5.0, the ratios of 5th and 6th are too low for my personal taste w/ the 3.73's. I also thought 1st was to low all winter long, but now that the tires and pavement are warm, 1st is just fine!

·
Registered
719 Posts
T6060 is a heavier duty transmission; that's why it is in the GT500. It is the same reason the BOSS 302R uses the T6060 and not the MT82 like the street versions (BOSS 302 and BOSS 3O2 Laguna Senca). The MT82 is, for the 5.0L Mustangs (BOSS, BOSS LS, and GT), at their rated "safe limit" that Getrag assigned. Regardless of that rating, the MT82 is able to sustain much more torque than what it's "safe limit" is. The T6060 is also a much... harsher... maybe bulkier is a better word... transmission to operate. The MT82 is supposed to be a nicer transmission to operate on the street (better ratios and shifting, although some may debate that).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I can't chime in on the drivability issues, but as far as the internal gear ratios, I wish I had the 6060. I personally feel that with any modifications on the 5.0, the ratios of 5th and 6th are too low for my personal taste w/ the 3.73's. I also thought 1st was to low all winter long, but now that the tires and pavement are warm, 1st is just fine!
5th is 1 to 1 ratio, 6th is overdrive in MT82. Having 2 overdrive gears like T56 and TR6060 just splits jump from 4th to 6th. But overall overdrive ratio are the same or very close so you don't gain anything. Reason for MT82 to keep rpm up between shifts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Yes, MT82 is a very close ratio designed to keep the RPM's up, I have had other cars with close ratios, Integra TypeR, prelude SH, but is it really needed with our power bands(after a few mods), when I up-shift I'm already near 6k, and this motor starts screaming under 4k, "It has mad V-tec yo!" plus my car has never seen redline in 5th and 6th, so why not lower highway cruising RPM's for efficiency?

·
Registered
407 Posts
For what it's worth, the only shop I know that did the coyote T56 magnum swap have broken the magnum also.....just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yes, MT82 is a very close ratio designed to keep the RPM's up, I have had other cars with close ratios, Integra TypeR, prelude SH, but is it really needed with our power bands(after a few mods), when I up-shift I'm already near 6k, and this motor starts screaming under 4k, "It has mad V-tec yo!" plus my car has never seen redline in 5th and 6th, so why not lower highway cruising RPM's for efficiency?

One question why do poeple think having 2 overdrive gears mean lower rpm when cruising? Overall gear ratio in top spot are the same for most trans. That it also take more power to turn very deep overdrive most street cars don't go below .60 overdrive

Like 03-04 Cobra (6speed 6th .63) and Mach1 (5speed 5th .62)Mustang had almost the same overall ratio in top spot

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey guys thanks for all the great info, I'm new to MT and having just ordered my 12 with a MT all the trouble ppl are having is wrying me.
I suspect that an order now would get a build with a fix already there, if there is a fix in the works. You could peek under any new GT's coming into the dealership to see if anything looks different than the older ones still on the lot.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I suspect that an order now would get a build with a fix already there, if there is a fix in the works. You could peek under any new GT's coming into the dealership to see if anything looks different than the older ones still on the lot.
I can get my arm fully under a new Mustang that is on the ground, maybe my shoulder... IDK how you can get your head under the car...:shigrin

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Cars that are being build or about to be build you get the fix 1st. Then the others will be done as long there is enough parts to cover production and warranty claims. They won't tell you when it will happen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts