Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. While under there, should I replace any other bushings BESIDES the sway bar bushings and end links? Lower Control Arm bushings, what about rack bushing?

2. Also, what is the difference between offset and standard steering rack bushings? Should I replace them, and if so, which one would I need?

3. Should I be greasing all the bushings when I install them?

4. When replacing the stock front struts while using the stock CC plates, should I use the top rubber bushing from the stock struts (as some directions call for), or use the top bushing that came with the Cobra Bilstein struts....will they fit?

5. I have read that you do NOT use the bottom bump stop from the stock struts as the Bilsteins have an internal stop. Then I have read that you do use it if using the stock CC plates. What gives?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
1. Rack bushings, definately
2. offset bushings will help correct steering vs suspension geometry on lowered mustangs
3. Yes, urethane can be noisy, use marine lube (skip on rack bushings)
4. Neither, change the bushing to urethane
5. Use it with stock CC plates

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Don't use offset bushings with a stock K-Member. They can actually make the geometry worse and induce bumpsteer of their own instead of fix it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bullitt, you stated not to you the rubber bump stop on the bottom because the Bilsteins have stoppers built in, but this poster says to use them with the with the stock caster chamber plates. Will then even fit down the shaft?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Nope, they'll sit at the very top though. I don't see a purpose in using them, since the Bilsteins have them built in. What difference does stock CC plates make?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't use offset bushings with a stock K-Member. They can actually make the geometry worse and induce bumpsteer of their own instead of fix it.
This, but in reference to the post above some types of bushings say not to lubricate w/ grease just check the manufacturers specs beforehand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts