Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed FRPP Touring axlebacks. Seems the left is forward about 3/4" of the right when centered, if I push it back any further it is barely in the front outer hanger. Left is also about 1/2" higher than right.

Right seems perfect for where they sit in the front hangers. Stock seemed perfectly aligned.

Should I try to bend the hanger rods on the muffler or will it break the weld?

Also snapped a bolt when torquing to 32 lbs.....wound up picking up 2 shorter m8 bolts that fit better anyway at Autozone.

I can say sounds great, deep under 3000 rpm then has some growl,quiet at idle and cruising, no drone.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
To correct fore aft alignment you may have to loosen the pipe(s) behind the H pipe and slide things at that point. Maybe a combination of the two moving one forward a bit and one aft a bit until they are the same. As far as bending the rods, if you do so do it in a way and place that will not stress the weld area. You won't break the weld, but you could tear or distort the muffler body.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
On my car the grommets the muffler hangers go into were misaligned. I noticed the right side stock muffler sat a little further into the rear valance & was slightly off center. I went over to Midas when my Bassani's arrived. They installed them, and blow torched the hangers on the right side axle back. Then gave me a large screwdriver (20-24") to stick in the muffler to adjust, then hold it in place while the hangers cooled. They've looked perfect ever since.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys will see what I can do or accept it as is...I may be the only one who notices, stock seemed fine.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts

Should I try to bend the hanger rods on the muffler or will it break the weld?

Use a propane torch (or better yet, buy a tank of mapp gas for your torch) and heat up the hanger rod until it turns a dull red. Wear gloves and use large pliers to bend it. Then cool down the rod with water from a garden hose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts