Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think legal DB limit is 95 dbs. In Cali
does any body in Cali running no mufflers been having issues with cops

·
Registered
644 Posts
The db limit here is, indeed, 95. Running no mufflers will put a Mustang, or any other vehicle, over that, almost guaranteed. Also, running no mufflers is technically illegal, regardless of sound.
Good luck! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yep, sounds correct. Plus your neighbors will hate you when you come home at 2 in the morning or leave at 6 am for work....!

How about Roush Axle Backs, are they CA legal and will they pass the biannual visual smog check.....?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I had my mufflers cut and just had the guy make tubes with tips on the ends; axel-backs essentially at about a fourth of the cost and I live in CA.

I have been pulled over a few times and haven't once had that issue spoke on... I just don't rip on it unless I know who is watching. :p

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Muffler deletes will do two things beside make your car obnoxiously loud and girls will think it is a POS that needs new mufflers… remember there girls...
You will lose some low end torque and gain very little high rpm HP… so answer this before you get all excited about cutting out the noise reduction devices… How often do you drive at wide open throttle and above 6000 RPMs.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Muffler deletes will do two things beside make your car obnoxiously loud and girls will think it is a POS that needs new mufflers… remember there girls...
You will lose some low end torque and gain very little high rpm HP… so answer this before you get all excited about cutting out the noise reduction devices… How often do you drive at wide open throttle and above 6000 RPMs.
This is absolutely true. I don't bother pointing it out anymore, since so many are so convinced they're going to gain 50 HP with these types of 'modifications'. It's kind of like the X vs H pipe thing- X's will make 2-3 HP more at 7000 RPM (NASCAR sees about 5-6 HP in Sprint Cup cars), but H's are equal everywhere else.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is absolutely true.
It can be true, but I doubt it is in this scenario. Open exhaust manifolds would probably would cost some low end torque (but won't always, either), but with cats and 12' of exhaust plumbing? I doubt it. The most likely outcome is that neither torque nor horsepower will really change at all (up or down).

·
Registered
644 Posts
It can be true, but I doubt it is in this scenario. Open exhaust manifolds would probably would cost some low end torque (but won't always, either), but with cats and 12' of exhaust plumbing? I doubt it. The most likely outcome is that neither torque nor horsepower will really change at all (up or down).
No, everything will have an effect. Trouble is, with a street car, everything on it, from the seats to suspension, tires, exhaust, etc. is a collection of compromises. There's no way to build/design an ideal street-driven car. All you can do is compromise toward whatever goal you have. You can give up ride comfort for handling, you can put in 'racing' brakes if you're willing to put up with the squeal and terrible cold-brake performance, etc.
The one constant in street driving is you want low-end and mid-range torque. These are much more important than peak HP, which is really a by-product of torque and RPM, anyway. You also want the best light and mid-throttle power you can get, as those comprise 99% of street driving. Opening up an exhaust too much might work *okay* on a purpose-built and -tuned race car, but street cars need more resistance (for better velocity) in their exhaust systems, to enhance... That's right, streetability!

In the end, do what you like to *your* car. I prefer to enhance the day-to-day driveability and useable performance of mine, rather than get big (useless off a racetrack) numbers on a dyno. YMMV. :winks

·
Registered
227 Posts
No, everything will have an effect. Trouble is, with a street car, everything on it, from the seats to suspension, tires, exhaust, etc. is a collection of compromises. There's no way to build/design an ideal street-driven car. All you can do is compromise toward whatever goal you have. You can give up ride comfort for handling, you can put in 'racing' brakes if you're willing to put up with the squeal and terrible cold-brake performance, etc.
The one constant in street driving is you want low-end and mid-range torque. These are much more important than peak HP, which is really a by-product of torque and RPM, anyway. You also want the best light and mid-throttle power you can get, as those comprise 99% of street driving. Opening up an exhaust too much might work *okay* on a purpose-built and -tuned race car, but street cars need more resistance (for better velocity) in their exhaust systems, to enhance... That's right, streetability!
Yes, and they get enough of that resistance from the cats. Every modern before and after dyno for a muffler delete that I've seen did not result in low end torque loss for that very reason. Again, open headers is usually (but not always) a different story.

C

·
0 Posts
if any one is actually wondering...

i have done this, i removed my rear stock mufflers, and i can definately feel that the car got softer on the bottom end (-5 or -6 horses but since its down low rpm's it seems worse). remeber these cars arent torque monsters right off hand, the stroke on 4.6 isnt exactly huge. anything lost for bottom end is felt for sure.

i did this, however for the sound, and while i did love the loudness, i cant live with the loss of grunt, or again loss of street -ability, the car does pull slightly better around 4k but not much, i can vouch i did it.

that being said, this thread is way dead. im off my box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the American Thunder axleback exhaust and it does give the car more of a throaty
sound, if you don't mind the drone that comes with it then yes do get it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION! You just brought back a thread that is 4 years old.

·
Administrator
13,250 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.