Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 5 sp with a stock exhaust system. Has anyone removed the mufflers and gone with straight pipe? I have a friend that said the 4 cats do a lot for reducing noise and by removing the mufflers it would definitely be louder but not offensive. He also said it's street legal. Also, in terms of increased performance, would no muffler be better than flowmaster's or any other performance muffler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure about your state laws regarding excessive noise, but here in California, a vehicle with no mufflers will probably get a citation for excessive noise. If you remove your cats and your mufflers you will be reducing backpressure your motor will need for lowend torque. In a nut shell, your Stang will have more bark than bite. I prefer the "sleeper" approach (more bite than bark)--> S/C with magnaflows.:kooky:

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
If you leave the cats on, it should be ok. I have heard of people doing this. It should sound pretty gnarly, without being too loud.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
a friend of mine had an 88 with no mufflers and turndowns after the cats. it sounded like a boat, and if you were in the car next to him, it wasnt that loud, but he said it got annoying from inside the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.