Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this forum, and i've been reading about exhaust info, and im new to mods on my car too. I have a 1990 GT, and i am thinking about putting on some dr.gas/ spintech mufflers, but would you guys reccomend getting new tailpipes, or do you think it would still sound good with the stock ones? Like I said, im new, and i have a limited budget, but i want t get my car sounding good without going flowmasters or spending 600 bucks on a system.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ok well it probably is going to be hard to belive but i have stock exhast except for a homade h pipe (made on to stock exhaust) and flowmasters with turndowns...sound damn good...thats how i bought it and i am doing some mods on it eventually....maybe maybe 140 for the 2 mufflers???

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. say i just buy a set of free flowing mufflers, and i keep the stock tailpipes on, would that decrease the sound quality? Or would i be better of getting say like 2.5 diameter tailpipes?

·
Registered
39 Posts
pro dump

Just buy a set of pro dump mufflers or somthing, then you won't need any tail pipes. A set goes for about 190 and is a direct bolt on. www.50resto.com if you want the tailpipes for cosmetic reasons then your stock pipes might limit a little sound. 50resto.com also has a kit that runs around 250 for a nice sounding set of mufflers and tailpipes. Personally I'd buy a set of DynoMax mufflers and put some turn downs on them. Not too expensive and sounds great. Just as long as you dont care if there aren't tail pipes showing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The tail pipe size will not affect the sound all that much. The mufflers and the cats make the most diference. If you are going to keep the oem h-pipe and cats, go with the loudest free flowing muffler you can find, like glasspacks. Or even no mufflers. A stock factory exhaust mustang sounds nice with straght pipes welded in place of the mufflers. I don't believe you guys in Fl have any state inspection, so that shouldn't be a prob. If I was on a budget and just wanted it to sound good thats what I would do. A muffler shop should do it for about $80. total. Shawn

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive never even heard of pro dumps before, but they look pretty aggressive and they would save me some cash not needing to buy a comple kit, i think i could sacrifice some tailpipes for a sweet sound, il keep that in mind. thx.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shawnster said:
. A stock factory exhaust mustang sounds nice with straght pipes welded in place of the mufflers. If I was on a budget and just wanted it to sound good thats what I would do. A muffler shop should do it for about $80. total. Shawn
If thats the case, couldnt i just pull off the mufflers and put turn-downs on where the mufflers used to be connected, haha if that worked id feel like such a cheap ass, but i would do it if it works and sounds good, what do ya think?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
shawnster said:
That will work! Cut the mufflers off, start it up, and see what you think!
It ought to be pretty loud. As long as you don't get more attention from the man, it's ok.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How loud do you think it would be? I've been doing a lot of reading on mufflers with dumps and how the resonance in the car is crazy, would it be more of a loud ass rumble , like arnold swartzineggar voice, or more towards a throaty sound? Im just looking for a sound that when people hear my stang, they will fear it. Im thinking about just getting some bolt on pro dumps, im just worried about the resonance inside the car, eh what do i have to lose besides my hearing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.