Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my dual exhaust no problem and everything was going great but about 2 weeks after installing my exhaust my mufflers would rattle when I would hit the slightest bump in the road my theory is that the bolts for the hangers are loose but I retightened them but I think they still keep coming loose please tell me how I can fix the rattling. I will get under my car and bump my muffler and it will produce the same noise I hear when I'm driving please help me the rattling is drivin me crazy I need help maybe lock tight would help on the bolts for the hangers? Just a thought?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I installed my dual exhaust no problem and everything was going great but about 2 weeks after installing my exhaust my mufflers would rattle when I would hit the slightest bump in the road my theory is that the bolts for the hangers are loose but I retightened them but I think they still keep coming loose please tell me how I can fix the rattling. I will get under my car and bump my muffler and it will produce the same noise I hear when I'm driving please help me the rattling is drivin me crazy I need help maybe lock tight would help on the bolts for the hangers? Just a thought?
i had this problem to bro. i think it was the right exhaust. i took my car last saturday to get the headers installed and they noticed the exhaust was rattling under the car. they installed a clamp under it problem solved.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
i bet its hitting the muffler hanger, just tweak it

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i had the heads shear off 2 hanger bolts a long time ago. never really figured out what the heck happened, bad bolts maybe, or they got loose then the weight tore em off, or somebody jumped on the muffler tip trying to destroy it? no idea what really happened. no problems for he last couple years though. stuff happens :)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Use either a lock washer or lock tight if the bolts keep loosening up on you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Make sure neither of the pipes from the mid pipe to the mufflers are close to touching any part of the car. Also check the clamps that attatch those pipes to the mufflers. These things work loose all the time and the slightest bump can cause noise when they are loose. I also stripped out the holes for the hanger bolts so I just ran a bolt thru the other side and tightened down the clamps with a nut. I was able to put a bolt thru the bottom of the frame and thru the original hole. My mufflers dont even think about budging now.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
After I Installed My Duals I had to get under it and re-tighten all the Bolts on the Clamps for the Pipes and Mufflers 3 times befor everything stayed tight.
I think the Heat losens up the stuff and it takes awhile to get everything Set in it's place. Now Im good.
I doubt Loc-Tite will work, like (amustangrocks) said, try some Loc Washers on the Hangers. But are you sure the Mufflers Rattling from having the Hanger Bolts Lose? Check the Muffler Clamp Bolts to the Mid Pipe and also the Mid Pipe to X Pipe Clamp Bolts, and X Pipe to where it connects to after the Cats. Nothing should Rattle. And like (ajbailor) said make sure Nothings Touching anywhere underneath your Mustang.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I Installed My Duals I had to get under it and re-tighten all the Bolts on the Clamps for the Pipes and Mufflers 3 times befor everything stayed tight.
I think the Heat losens up the stuff and it takes awhile to get everything Set in it's place. Now Im good.
I doubt Loc-Tite will work, like (amustangrocks) said, try some Loc Washers on the Hangers. But are you sure the Mufflers Rattling from having the Hanger Bolts Lose? Check the Muffler Clamp Bolts to the Mid Pipe and also the Mid Pipe to X Pipe Clamp Bolts, and X Pipe to where it connects to after the Cats. Nothing should Rattle. And like (ajbailor) said make sure Nothings Touching anywhere underneath your Mustang.
when i hit even the slightest bump in the road ill hear a ka klink i think im going to put some lock washers on the hanger bolts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Does it make noise when you accelerate too? I had this problem on both sides of my exhaust. The band clamps that connected the x pipe to the mids have little keepers in between the two sides of the clamp. When I started my car the first time, these heated up and shattered. Little pieces of them were still left in the clamps and made noise with the slightest bit of gas. They rattled so bad. If its the problem, take the bands off and simply remove the pieces that are still in them. Problem solved.

Good luck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I fixed the rattling issue when I would hit bumps in the road with some rubber I wedge some rubber where the midpipe bends to go over the axel. The pipe was hitting the crossmember where the wheels join now the only thing I need to fix now is that the passenger side muffler is up to high how can I lower the tip of the muffler?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
if its ever so slight, you can pull the muffler, clamp the hanger rods in a vice and bend them a little. make sure to clamp them good so you dont tear them off the muffler. i would try that first. i had to fine tune mine like that.

if your over axle is too close and was hitting a crossover bar, thats not set up too well. you shouldnt need rubber stuffed somewhere to stop a rattle. i would loosen the clamp and try to adjust that pipe for clearance first off. that will change how your muffler is hanging too. if it happens that pipe needs to go up, that will drop your tip down. if you raise the car by the rear end, like under the shock mounts, you will see how its fitting.

if the pipe is hangin good as a last resort, if it needs to come down more like 1/2" or so, this is a little drastic but you could trim 3/8"- 1/2" off the over axle pipe where the muffler clamps on. then when you clamp the muffler on, the rear of the muffler will go up and the tip will come down. i hate to suggest that though.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
if its ever so slight, you can pull the muffler, clamp the hanger rods in a vice and bend them a little. make sure to clamp them good so you dont tear them off the muffler. i would try that first. i had to fine tune mine like that.

if your over axle is too close and was hitting a crossover bar, thats not set up too well. you shouldnt need rubber stuffed somewhere to stop a rattle. i would loosen the clamp and try to adjust that pipe for clearance first off. that will change how your muffler is hanging too. if it happens that pipe needs to go up, that will drop your tip down. if you raise the car by the rear end, like under the shock mounts, you will see how its fitting.

if the pipe is hangin good as a last resort, if it needs to come down more like 1/2" or so, this is a little drastic but you could trim 3/8"- 1/2" off the over axle pipe where the muffler clamps on. then when you clamp the muffler on, the rear of the muffler will go up and the tip will come down. i hate to suggest that though.
Yea Im with (amustangrocks) on this one.....if your Mid Pipe is hitting your crossover bar then a piece of Rubber is'nt really helping, it's too close. I had this problem right after I Installed My Duals. The Drivers Side Mid Pipe Losened Up and turned so it was right on some Wires (a group of them togeather) and right next to the Fuel Line. Good thing I caught it as I heard the Passangers Side Muffler Rattling and went right home, looked under it and the Clamp from the X-Pipe to the Mid Pipe Losened up. I straightened it back to where everything had good clearance, and Im not talking close, there was at least 1 1/2" clearance everywhere.
Unless you have Mid Pipes that were bent for you and not Custom you may have a Problem getting them to fit perfect. But a Custom Exhaust should fit right with pleanty of room to spare. That Piece of Rubber will eventually wear out and you'll be right back to where you are now. Remember, look under your Stang and make sure nothings touching anything anywhere, or even close. If it is it needs to be adjusted:winks

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well I fixed the rattling issue when I would hit bumps in the road with some rubber I wedge some rubber where the midpipe bends to go over the axel. The pipe was hitting the crossmember where the wheels join now the only thing I need to fix now is that the passenanger side muffler is up to high how can I lower the tip of the muffler?
Just bend the front muffler rod up a little at a time til its where you want it hanging.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea Im with (amustangrocks) on this one.....if your Mid Pipe is hitting your crossover bar then a piece of Rubber is'nt really helping, it's too close. I had this problem right after I Installed My Duals. The Drivers Side Mid Pipe Losened Up and turned so it was right on some Wires (a group of them togeather) and right next to the Fuel Line. Good thing I caught it as I heard the Passangers Side Muffler Rattling and went right home, looked under it and the Clamp from the X-Pipe to the Mid Pipe Losened up. I straightened it back to where everything had good clearance, and Im not talking close, there was at least 1 1/2" clearance everywhere.
Unless you have Mid Pipes that were bent for you and not Custom you may have a Problem getting them to fit perfect. But a Custom Exhaust should fit right with pleanty of room to spare. That Piece of Rubber will eventually wear out and you'll be right back to where you are now. Remember, look under your Stang and make sure nothings touching anything anywhere, or even close. If it is it needs to be adjusted:winks
Well the piece of rubber fell out yesterday while driving I knew it would only be a temporary fix anyway I got under my car loosened the clamp where the x pipe and mid pipe join and I was able to move the pipe that goes over the axel more straight up and it raised the pipe so it doenst hit the cross member anymore know only thing I need to do is some how make the passenger side muffler tip bend down a little its hugging the bumper

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Well the piece of rubber fell out yesterday while driving I knew it would only be a temporary fix anyway I got under my car loosened the clamp where the x pipe and mid pipe join and I was able to move the pipe that goes over the axel more straight up and it raised the pipe so it doenst hit the cross member anymore know only thing I need to do is some how make the passenger side muffler tip bend down a little its hugging the bumper
I know what your going through, I did this and that, then this and then that again, but finally I got everythign to fit just right. I found that getting the Mid Pipes where they need to be is the first thing you need to do, then the Mufflers were next. Try turning your Muffler, (get it to where it needs to be) then if you need to re-adjust your Mid Pipe Again, do that. But if you cant get your Mid Pipe and Muffler to be in just the right place your gonna have to mabey bend the Rods on your Muffler so they hang right. You need to make sure your Mid Pipes are Perfect first, then worry about your Mufflers. Mine were also Hugging the Bumper, but after trying many different ways I finally got them to all be where they should be. If you just losen the mide Pipe a Tad and Move it, then do the Muffler and move it a tad you'll finally get it to where it should be, It takes a little time but eventually you'll get it. It took me 3 Day's to get everything Perfect but I finally did. And when you do finally get everything in place make sure everythings tight, then check it again and rethighten it again, then check it agian:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
531 Posts
my h pipe is rattling under my car. it sounds loud when im at a stop light or traffic. when i put it in neutral the vibrating kinda stops. how do i fix that:headscratch:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts