Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped a 1989 tilt steering column into my 1991 LX. Everything went fine but the one thing is that I would like to use the multi-function switch from the 1989. The reason is that the actual lever is shorter on the 89 switch than the 91 switch. The longer 91 switch hits my leg when I have the left turn signal on and have my foot on the clutch. I have read that it is a matter of switching some wires. I have tried this and could not figure it out. Maybe I am missing something, but I dont think I am. Are there any other solutions to the long lever on the 91 Multi-Function Switch? Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, but I think maybe I am missing it. That article was about swapping in a 5spd. Was that the article you wanted me to read?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am doing the same swap. I am trying to figure out which plug goes where on the column. My 91 has a round and a flat plug.My 89 column has to flat plugs. None of the wires are the same color so I am a little confused and do not want to mess up anything. can you tell what I need to do?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
That is just one of the downsides to being a taller person than the average american lol but anyways..:backontopic: As far as wiring goes that is where some trial and error and a good test light comes in. I would figure out what all the wires control on the 89 column and figure out what wires control what on the 91 column and mark them all with tape and numbers according to the location on the plug ends and try to match them up according to function....long and time consuming but well worth it in the end

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
An easy way would be to go to the Ford dealer and get the pigtails for the 4 harnesses that connect to the 1989 arm. Convert the 1991 wire connectors to the 1989 style and it'll all directly plug in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.