Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while back my buddy lent me a special socket to take the drive shaft from the diff off and now that i dont have it seems like a 12 pt socket with strip the bolt, will it or should i get the special socket for it and where do i pick it up?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your 12 point should work ok, especially if its been removed before.You might want to use a wrench to break it loose with and tap it w/hammer to give it that initial jolt to break it loose. Then use your socket and ratchet. lol ,Rick

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yea when i remove mine i just use a wrench.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
12 point-12mm Socket. The Service Manual recommend replacing the 4 Bolts, make sure you use alignment marks on the Driveshaft and Companion Flange and the correct Torque is 71-95 Ft. Lbs.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Be best to break em loose with a wrench then use the socket.

·
Registered
115 Posts
+1 vote for wrench

·
Registered
78 Posts
12 point 12mm is the correct socket
12 point 12mm is the right socket. If these bolts have never been removed before you may want to use a "cheater pipe" that will slide over your ratchet or breaker bar for extra leverage. I've experienced problems a number of times breaking these bolts loose. Even with a "cheater pipe" it still can be a bear. Sounds like a gun going off when they initially break loose.

·
Registered
941 Posts
you will be better off with a 6 or 8 point i cant remember what it is there is more surface area less prone to strip it so its not just holding the points of the bolt then get a hammer and hit the bottom of the wrench it will brake it free

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
dont use a cheap wrench. i broke a stanley from wal mart in half. then i bent a crafstman up, but it did the job.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't know if it's because I have an aluminum driveshaft, but it's impossible to get the right angle for a socket to seat squarely on mine. I went to Sears and got a long handled 12mm box wrench which did the job just fine.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
you will be better off with a 6 or 8 point i cant remember what it is there is more surface area less prone to strip it so its not just holding the points of the bolt then get a hammer and hit the bottom of the wrench it will brake it free
You are correct that a 6 Point Wrench or Socket applies more Torque, but you need a 12 Point to fit the Driveshaft Bolts.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine come loose every 5k.

I can't remember ever to buy new ones.

And everyone else forgets too, so they loctite them in. This is probably where you are at.

I think i'm gonna glue mine soon.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Mine come loose every 5k.

I can't remember ever to buy new ones.

And everyone else forgets too, so they loctite them in. This is probably where you are at.

I think i'm gonna glue mine soon.
The new ones from the Dealer already have Yellow Loctite applied and the correct Torque for them is 71-95 Ft. Lbs.

·
Registered
941 Posts
hummm maybe i should make sure mine are not lose ha ha ha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.