Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newer owner, recently bitten by the bug- I've been trying to do a lot of research on modifying my new baby ('o6 GT Vert, auto)....

Well- I'm finding a lot of info- but I'm all over the place! I think if I had a $10K budget- it would be easy- but doing it in moderation is a lot harder!

So, I guess what Im looking for is a "Mod for Dummies" site or FAQ or something. Or, if others have put together a PLAN for their work- Id love to see it! Im trying to create a prioritized list. Perhaps starting with the "bolt-on" options- netting the best bang for buck.

What are your opinions on the "no-brainer" performance mods (if such things exist)?

For instance, I seem to see a general agreement on K&N filters as a cheap and easy upgrade.... but then again- their CAI kit looks solid too?

Ditto for things like re-programming the chip, slapping on Flowmasters, etc.

Has anyone found or created a comprehensive shopping list?

(the only thing I've changed so far in the license plate holder) :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
CAI and tuner should be the first mod. You will turn the car into what is "should" have been with this. I do not recommend getting one from a supply house. Buy one from a "tuner" with a reputation. After reading here a bit (use search function) names will stand out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I recommend establishing goal(s) first or you will find yourself spending money on something you don't need or didn't give you the results you wanted.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If you want only mods that increase power and driveability, don't waste your money on aftermarket mufflers.

Also, go to the V6 tech forum (this is the V8 forum) to get V6 answers from informed V6 owners. You stand a chance of getting a little misinformation in here, since we're all mostly V8 guys. Good luck!

·
Registered
829 Posts
helicfii said:
Also, go to the V6 tech forum (this is the V8 forum) to get V6 answers from informed V6 owners. You stand a chance of getting a little misinformation in here, since we're all mostly V8 guys. Good luck!
First line he says he has an '06 GT vert....

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
OOOPS! :oops: :yakyak: My bad..... dyslexia strikes again! :banghead:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
helicfii said:
OOOPS! :oops: :yakyak: My bad..... dyslexia strikes again! :banghead:
damn! I thought I was getting sent down to the "minors" on my first post! :)

-no offense v6-guys

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
lowepg said:
damn! I thought I was getting sent down to the "minors" on my first post! :)

-no offense v6-guys
No. The only way you will get sent down is if you ask questions about hydraulics or spinners. :blowingup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gig4Fun said:
CAI and tuner should be the first mod. You will turn the car into what is "should" have been with this. I do not recommend getting one from a supply house. Buy one from a "tuner" with a reputation. After reading here a bit (use search function) names will stand out.
Yup- I was leaning towards that..... plus it has the bonus of looking like something I can do myself....

I've heard good things about densecharger- but cant find any places that sell them (and the densecharger website is down). So- I'm leaning towards K&N.

Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
helicfii said:
No. The only way you will get sent down is if you ask questions about hydraulics or spinners. :blowingup:
Or any LED lighting products (inside or out) :eek:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Does that mean that Neon lighting is acceptable? I saw a lighted exhaust tip recently that was pretty amazing looking- kinda like flames (or not!).

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
helicfii said:
Does that mean that Neon lighting is acceptable? I saw a lighted exhaust tip recently that was pretty amazing looking- kinda like flames (or not!).
Yeah, I'm afraid I have to stick with that blanket statement for all unusual lighting. I'm just not hip enough I guess.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Must have mods are a CAI and good tune, offroad x or h pipe... and an axle back exhaust.

Craig

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
fin1 said:
I recommend establishing goal(s) first or you will find yourself spending money on something you don't need or didn't give you the results you wanted.
I've checked out your webpage. Wow! What are you running, low elevens, high tens? And... Go Steelers!

·
Registered
183 Posts
stlwagon said:
I've checked out your webpage. Wow! What are you running, low elevens, high tens? And... Go Steelers!
Lol thanks. The car is good for high tens, the driver (*cough* me *cough*) however is only good for mid-to-high 11s for now.:rolleyes: I've had it up to 123MPH so the ET is there. The clutch is causing me greif and we are still trying to get it sorted out. It's either fry the stock one or have power shift issue with RAM one.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
fin1 said:
Lol thanks. The car is good for high tens, the driver (*cough* me *cough*) however is only good for mid-to-high 11s for now.:rolleyes: I've had it up to 123MPH so the ET is there. The clutch is causing me greif and we are still trying to get it sorted out. It's either fry the stock one or have power shift issue with RAM one.
Only mid to high 11s. How can you look at yourself in the mirror? :D What tires are you running at the track?

·
Registered
496 Posts
stlwagon said:
Or any LED lighting products (inside or out) :eek:
...or Lambo doors

·
Registered
183 Posts
stlwagon said:
Only mid to high 11s. How can you look at yourself in the mirror? :D What tires are you running at the track?
I'm running M/T's. My short times are not the issue (1.7). 3rd gear is. The RAM clutch does not powershift for crap. So about at the 1/8th mark, I'm spending 1-3 seconds trying to jam the shifter in 3rd while basicly coasting. On one run I was pushing so hard on the shifter that it slipped out of my hands and I hit my helmet on the steering wheel.:doh:

It's back at the shop getting the clutch "addressed".

·
Registered
829 Posts
fin1 said:
I'm running M/T's. My short times are not the issue (1.7). 3rd gear is. The RAM clutch does not powershift for crap. So about at the 1/8th mark, I'm spending 1-3 seconds trying to jam the shifter in 3rd while basicly coasting. On one run I was pushing so hard on the shifter that it slipped out of my hands and I hit my helmet on the steering wheel.:doh:

It's back at the shop getting the clutch "addressed".
Perhaps your engine is torquing (moving / twisting_) and your shifter is not properly aligned to complete the move.

I suggest different engine mounts and the Powerhouse rear brace with them there torque arms that connect to the belohousing area..

OR maybe you have the clutch with TOO many pucks on it... (SAme part number but WRONG)

just a thought, and a way for you to spend more money!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
Perhaps your engine is torquing (moving / twisting_) and your shifter is not properly aligned to complete the move.

I suggest different engine mounts and the Powerhouse rear brace with them there torque arms that connect to the belohousing area..

OR maybe you have the clutch with TOO many pucks on it... (SAme part number but WRONG)

just a thought, and a way for you to spend more money!!!
I have just about every PowerHouse/CHE item they offer including tq limiters and brace. The engine/trany does not move. The clutch is the issue, more specificly the RAM pressure plate, and there are many others having powershifting issues with after market clutches. Mike is going to try and use the RAM disk with the stock pressure plate to resolve it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts