Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my starter went out on my standard 94' V6 mustang today. i know this because when i put the clutch in and turn the key, there is no crank. its just the same as when i try to start the car wit the clutch out. it wont work. my battery is fine! and no other connections seem to be out of whack. i would just like to know how to get to the two bolts that are holding the starter motor up. i know where its at. but it looks extremely difficult to take off.

any help?

Thanks,
Andyyy

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Have you tried tapping on it with a hammer to see if it will crank? If it has a dead spot, it will crank after tapping it.

To remove, disconnect your battery, take out the top bolt through the top of the car, and get the bottom bolt from the bottom with jackstands and a jack. It's a 10 minute job if you have everything in place.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol you make it sound so easy!! which it probably is. i just dont know how to get to the top bold from the top of the car. becuase its under my headers. i can barely even see the bolt from the top.

ill try tapping the starter wit a mallot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
soo, i tapped the starter motor a couple times and tried to start it. didnt work. but it did start the third time around tho. but tapping the starter is probably not even close to fixing my problem.. right? i mean, if it goes out on me again, i dont wanna have to tap it out every time to get back on the road. lol no fun.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
soo, i tapped the starter motor a couple times and tried to start it. didnt work. but it did start the third time around tho. but tapping the starter is probably not even close to fixing my problem.. right? i mean, if it goes out on me again, i dont wanna have to tap it out every time to get back on the road. lol no fun.
yeah well tapping it is really only a temporary fix it wont get rid of your problem ull definitely need that starter serviced/replaced

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i really wish i could take it out myself. i got the bottom bolt, that was easy. but there is no way to take the top bolt off, i would need to disconnect the headers and different hoses.. i look straight down from the top where i can barely see the bolt. i can stick a wrench down there maybe. but its so tight of a space that i wouldnt have any room to loosen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thanks. i just took the wheel off and went in. i couldnt quite get at it from the wheel whell. but it definitely gave me more room and ability to see the bolt in different views. i got it off tho. i hope installing wont be as hard. haha

thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.