Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So the other day I was pulling out of my work parking lot and got stopped behind someone. When I stopped, suddenly my car got quiet (my car is never quiet) but the radio and power seemed to still be on. So I let off the brake and pushed the gas just a tad and all I did was roll a bit. My car is an automatic but at this point was acting the same as a manual that I killed. I applied the brake, put it in park, and turned the key and it came right back on. I found this very strange. I looked at all my gauges, not overheating, battery is fine, no check engine lights or lights of any kind for that matter. My A/C was on but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it. It hasn't done it sense and hasn't been acting strange. I was concerned but didn't know where to start looking for issues. What do you guys think happened? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Maybe the car burped?

I haven't had it happen to the mutang but to my Mountaineer every once in a while (like every 6 months) it would do something similar. But the radio would also die. I'd put her into park, fire her up, and everything would reset and work fine. I say if it doesn't happen again, its just a good story to tell ppl:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
if its a one time thing no need to worry if it does it rarely could be

shift solinoid.
low/bad fluid.
misalignment.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
this jus happened to my fathers GT, he had a cold air intake and they claimed they needed some $6 spring to be replaced in the intake and that fixed the problem, but it would stall whenever it came to a stop

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Rather odd.

Had you been driving fro awhile or were you just starting up the car and leaving work?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I know there were issues a few years back regarding the fuel pump acting up after a long drive and then coming to a stop, the car sometimes would stall and even die upon accelerating again. A TB even was put on it. I had this problem on my former 06GT and had fuel pump replaced by dealer. But a cold car and not coming off a long drive, hmmm, not sure.:headscratch:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I told her not to worry about it, but just to make sure she has her cell phone with her, just in case:happyhapp

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like it went failsafe to me.
What does this mean exactly? And no, I had not been driving it for long. It had been sitting on the lot for a few hours while I was working and was on for less than a minute when it turned itself off...

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
What does this mean exactly? And no, I had not been driving it for long. It had been sitting on the lot for a few hours while I was working and was on for less than a minute when it turned itself off...
Failsafe mode occurs when the PCM detects a serious problem, cutting power by close to 80% to prevent engine damage.

·
Registered
442 Posts
what was the rpm gauge doing did it just drop to zero?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Failsafe mode occurs when the PCM detects a serious problem, cutting power by close to 80% to prevent engine damage.
Wouldn't this fire off one or more codes and turn on the check engine light? I am just asking for my own education......I mean, if the PCM did go into failsafe mode and not otherwise alert that there was a problem it would seem that the problem could then re-occur without any resolution.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Wouldn't this fire off one or more codes and turn on the check engine light? I am just asking for my own education......I mean, if the PCM did go into failsafe mode and not otherwise alert that there was a problem it would seem that the problem could then re-occur without any resolution.
No, it won't always trigger a code.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I'd have to agree, fail safe mode. Just not sure why.

I was wondering if it could be spark blowout (since it's F/I). If someone had gapped one of the plugs poorly it would cause it. However, since she hadn't been driving it long and it certainly hadn't been at wot that doesn't make sense.

We had a Super Snake recently that kept doing that. Would just switch into fail safe for no apparent reason, no codes, nothing. Turned out to be the throttle body TPS.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I'd have to agree, fail safe mode. Just not sure why.

I was wondering if it could be spark blowout (since it's F/I). If someone had gapped one of the plugs poorly it would cause it. However, since she hadn't been driving it long and it certainly hadn't been at wot that doesn't make sense.

We had a Super Snake recently that kept doing that. Would just switch into fail safe for no apparent reason, no codes, nothing. Turned out to be the throttle body TPS.
Basically the same thing I'm going through now.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
But going into Failsafe, the "wrench" light would come on and that should reveal a code at dealer, no??

·
Registered
210 Posts
Maybe the maf or throttle body needs cleaned?

·
Registered
129 Posts
My car(auto) has been doing this for about 2 months.Stalling when coming to an intersection. Just comes to a very quiet stall and will start right back up again once I have put it in park or neutral. Sometimes it would throw a code sometimes not. Have replaced 4 ox sensors tps x2 sensor, acuattor,throttle body,fan and motor,air cleaner,fuel filter, fuel pump x2,air cleaner, new PCM, custom tune and upgraded Ford software.Now the techs are saying that whatever is ocurring is out side the parameters of their data logger.They now think it might be a wiring issue.My car is in the shop right now. If anbody has any answers it would be appreciated.Pretty new on here I hope this helps this thread?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
My car(auto) has been doing this for about 2 months.Stalling when coming to an intersection. Just comes to a very quiet stall and will start right back up again once I have put it in park or neutral. Sometimes it would throw a code sometimes not. Have replaced 4 ox sensors tps x2 sensor, acuattor,throttle body,fan and motor,air cleaner,fuel filter, fuel pump x2,air cleaner, new PCM, custom tune and upgraded Ford software.Now the techs are saying that whatever is ocurring is out side the parameters of their data logger.They now think it might be a wiring issue.My car is in the shop right now. If anbody has any answers it would be appreciated.Pretty new on here I hope this helps this thread?
Or something with your supercharger install. :scratchchin

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.