Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed a rattle which seems to be coming from the cats but wanted to get some opinions from the forum.

When starting up the car (06 GT) after it has been sitting a while and the motor is given time to cool down, I will get a rattle everytime the car hits 3000 RPMs. The car will make the rattle for 8+/- minutes (or 1-2 miles) after starting the car but will not make the noise once things have been heated up.

I've tried jacking up the car and reving the motor while listening under the car to pin point the problem area BUT it does not make the sound when the car is sitting still. It will only make the noise when actually driving the car.

It sounds like bad cats when driving but when I tap on them with a rubber mallet nothing sounds loose.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Ok my car did the same exact thing as yours. It only did it when cooled down 100% and then would go away after the car warmed up.
On the transmission look for a sheet of metal that is bolted to the back. It sits sandwiched I think between the bellhousing and engine but it could be between the bellhousing and gearbox. I only looked at it a second. See if this sheet of metal is missing any bolts. Mine was missing several.

Sorry I cant say exactly what it is but the dealer fixed it the time I went for an oil change and plug change for my then upcomging blower so I really didnt pay attention as I was more concerned about my plugs removing without breaking.

But if it is indeed this you can see pretty easy if the bolts are missing.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. The cover plate was the problem. Bolts were already tight but some rubber washers solved the rattle.

Do you think an 1/8" gap along the bottom (between the plate and housing) will cause any problems?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Wow Stlwagon you never cease to amaze me. You know about this too? LOL

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Thanks for the help. The cover plate was the problem. Bolts were already tight but some rubber washers solved the rattle.

Do you think an 1/8" gap along the bottom (between the plate and housing) will cause any problems?
No, there was already a small air gap in there anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.