Ford Mustang Forum banner

Mustang 2012 Radio not working | Replacement doesn't work either

334 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  JBert
Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble with the radio on my Mustang 2012 for quite some time now.
The radio stopped working all of a sudden and the only thing I get is a blinking time clock and none of the buttons work.
I've tried the oven solution of popping the radio inside an oven for about 10 minutes and it seemed to have resolved the issue temporarily.
After about 4 weeks the radio gave out again and nothing seems to work.

I've bought a replacement radio off of eBay and the radio only worked for about 5 minutes before I got a blinking timeclock again. Now I can't tell if I just got another dud of a radio or if it's something else in my vehicle that's causing the problem(the seller seems like a trusted source and he insists it's a working radio).

Two questions:
1. Is it possible it may be something else in my vehicle that is causing the problem?
2. How can I verify that the radios are in good working condition without having to pop it in another Mustang vehicle entirely?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Greetings!

Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Someone will be along shortly to offer advice.
welcome to the forum

is it safe to assume you already checked the fuses?
Reactions: SunRay501
Hi and thanks!

I've opened up the fuse box but I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking for. What should I check for exactly?
Look in the manual to identify all of the fuses that are associated with the radio, and be aware there could be more than one. Also there are two fuse boxes, one under the hood and one under the dash in the passenger footwell area.

Pull out those fuses, and check to make sure the little wire inside is not burned through. If you are not sure by looking at it, just replace them to make sure.
Reactions: Cobrajet67
As JBert said check the owner's manual for the fuse locations.
Is the radio completely nonfunctional or does it just not respond to any controls?
You didn't say if you had the standard radio, SYNC, Shaker 500, Shaker 1000, or navigation.
The basic radio system in the dash consists of the control panel, ACM(audio control module)/radio receiver, and the display screen. If you have navigation then it gets much more complicated and the Shaker systems also add amplifiers. There's an APIM, FCIM, and FDIM with those more complicated systems.
I have my doubts that two different radios would be defective in the exact same way though it is possible if it was a common issue. Seeing how this seems like a basic power issue I think that you should check your grounds in the car. If you have bad grounds anywhere one of the first things to go offline is things like the radio and windows. Verify the fuses are good and pushing power thru them with a test light on both sides of the fuse. There's a little hole on each side of the fuse where you can put a test light or multimeter probe. With the ignition on if you aren't getting power thru them then it might be a bad SJB(smart junction box). These are fixable and you can send them out to a module repair service. Automotive Circuit Solutions, Autoecm, Upfix, and Module Master all seem to be reliable module repair services to use. They can test and if needed repair any module.
Here's the wiring diagrams of the audio system: Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - fordrepair.info - 2011 Mustang 2011 Mustang 130 - audio system and navigation (iihs.net)
Reactions: JBert
I will check the fuse box inside the Mustang by the passengers side by tomorrow and let you know what I find. Thanks!

Look in the manual to identify all of the fuses that are associated with the radio, and be aware there could be more than one. Also there are two fuse boxes, one under the hood and one under the dash in the passenger footwell area.

Pull out those fuses, and check to make sure the little wire inside is not burned through. If you are not sure by looking at it, just replace them to make sure.
As JBert said check the owner's manual for the fuse locations.
Is the radio completely nonfunctional or does it just not respond to any controls?
You didn't say if you had the standard radio, SYNC, Shaker 500, Shaker 1000, or navigation.
The basic radio system in the dash consists of the control panel, ACM(audio control module)/radio receiver, and the display screen. If you have navigation then it gets much more complicated and the Shaker systems also add amplifiers. There's an APIM, FCIM, and FDIM with those more complicated systems.
I have my doubts that two different radios would be defective in the exact same way though it is possible if it was a common issue. Seeing how this seems like a basic power issue I think that you should check your grounds in the car. If you have bad grounds anywhere one of the first things to go offline is things like the radio and windows. Verify the fuses are good and pushing power thru them with a test light on both sides of the fuse. There's a little hole on each side of the fuse where you can put a test light or multimeter probe. With the ignition on if you aren't getting power thru them then it might be a bad SJB(smart junction box). These are fixable and you can send them out to a module repair service. Automotive Circuit Solutions, Autoecm, Upfix, and Module Master all seem to be reliable module repair services to use. They can test and if needed repair any module.
Here's the wiring diagrams of the audio system: Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - fordrepair.info - 2011 Mustang 2011 Mustang 130 - audio system and navigation (iihs.net)
Both radios are essentially non-functional and unresponsive.

Here are images of the radios: (Radio W is the original radio and radio X is the replacement I bought)
Netbook Office equipment Computer hardware Gas Electronic instrument
Handwriting Font Parallel Paper Paper product
Netbook Computer Office equipment Electronic instrument Audio equipment
Font Parallel Rectangle Paper Number
Computer keyboard Computer Font Circuit component Input device
I checked the fuse box by the passengers side of the car and pulled out the appropriate fuse for the radio and it seems like it's okay. The inside doesn't seem blown but I'm wondering if the inserts are supposed to be that dark?

Wood Flooring Font Hardwood Rectangle

looks like it is probably OK, but I'd probably replace it anyway; and plug it in and out a few times to make sure it has good contact ... also check to make sure there are not more, I think there may be more than one fuse that relates to the radio
1 - 9 of 9 Posts