Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just reciently bought a mustang for 3000 dollars. All it needed the guy said are the heads, injectors, and mass air meter. This is what it has...

Hawks racing 331 bottom end w/ main cap girdle
racing pistons w/ flat top design
explorer intake manifold
70mm throttle body
255lph fuel pump
voss performance cold air kit
x303 camshaft w/ upgraded valve springs

These are the things that I know. I was told the next thing I need to do is get better heads. 1st off does this look like a good setup? I have did research all day and have no clue about most of this. I was thinking about getting edelbrock performer 170cc heads. But is 170cc enough for that cam and the 331 stroker? The guy that sold it to me said he was gonna eventually put a 210cc procomp heads, but i was told by many that 210cc is WAY to big of heads.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I've been researching this forever and can't find what heads to get for my stang.

THANKS!

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well on that size engine you probably want to get some AFR 185 or TFS TW heads. Also if you do that now the intake manifold will be restrictive part of the equation. Is it going to be a street machine or track beast? More info....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 331 stroker with a X303 cam and am running AFR 185 cc heads. On top is a Victor Jr intake with a 750 cfm carb. Although you are fuel injected, you should also consider upgrading your intake manifold if you change heads. Your bottom end is a beast, especially if you have a Dart block. Get the air flow & fuel flow to match and you could/should be ~375-400 HP. And while you're at it, how about a 200 NOS shot? He he he....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well on that size engine you probably want to get some AFR 185 or TFS TW heads. Also if you do that now the intake manifold will be restrictive part of the equation. Is it going to be a street machine or track beast? More info....

I agree 100% with this

·
Registered
327 Posts
Need more than 170cc -anything around 185 to 190cc would be ideal. Need to make sure your flat tops have the TW reliefs if wanting to go that route. Don't be afraid of higher cc's heads like mine if your looking to rev your 331.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
If you want options:

TFS High Port
Brodix M1
Dart Pro 1 195
AFR 185