Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck on which car i want. Which one is better for the money. Say you put a stock GT against a stock Cobra- how badly would the GT lose? I know the stock horsepower and torque of a cobra is 390/390, what about a GT? And considering the price of a cobra, could i put that kind of money into a GT and make it faster?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
stock vs stock, the 03/04 cobra runs 12's versus the stock gt runnin low 14's to high 13's, assuming your talkin about the 99-04 style. But for the extra 10k the cobra might cost, you could put into the gt and make it faster. You can do a lot with a gt and 10k. But it would be nice to have a cobra too, always wanted one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what's the average price of buying cobras and GT's from private owners. and do you know the 0-60 in both?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i dont know the market for GT's.
but i recently bought an 04' mystic cobra for $24,000/48,000miles.
in my search for one, ive seen prices as low as $19,000 to $31,000 for the 03/04 cobras.

personally id take the cobra, just because you can pull on sooo may cars with it being stock. the theyre rare too, since SVT is now dead. so the 2004 cobra is the last fully SVT car.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Well it depends on how many miles and the year of the car. On average a gt with decent miles in good condition will probably cost around 15-18k. The 03/04 cobra in good condition stock will go from bout 25-30k. ive seen a lot in the low 30's. 0-60 for cobra is 4.6 sec i think, and the gt im not sure but my guess is about 5.6-5.8 sec maybe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about like a late 90's to 03 GT or Cobra? did they have the cobras in the late 90's anyways?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
They did, they had the 32v dohc engine without a supercharger. One in good condition with low miles probably go es for like 17k.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You could probably pick up a good 96-98 cobra for around 10K. I've seen plenty of them on craigslist going for that much. the 94-95 cobras had the 5.0 2v motor. The 96-98 had the 4.6 32v dohc motor. If you were planning on keeping them stock i'd just pick up a 96-98 because they came with 300 hp and 305 ft lbs while the 94-95's had 260 hp and 285 ft lbs (I believe they were underrated) However modding a 5.0 is much cheaper than the 32v 4.6. You would save a lot of money just modding a 94-98 cobra than spending it all on an 03/04, but like everyone says they are rare and will be worth more in the future.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I would get the Cobra if I had the money, but a GT with 10k to spend it's a tough choice. You can throw a KB on the GT and get it to keep up with a stock cobra and still have around 3-4k left. So if it's fast you want, then I would get the GT and throw in the 10k to make it a beast.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You can add a sc, gears ect and keep up with a slightly modded Cobra. Buddy of mine has a 02 GT with those mods and runs right with mine. Just remember the bottom end won't withstand but so much. I have another friend who is getting rid of his 99 Cobra w/ Saleen package. But he is in N.C.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 96 cobra with about 36000 original miles, supercharged (about 7k miles on it) tugging to much hp to the wheels for its own good and too many goodies to list, and I wouldn't mind selling it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.