Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a few mustangs yesterday and fell in love with the rag top.... thing is if I want to eventually put a turbo/super charger in will i notice a loss of rigidity and poor handling? If I install a sway bar under the hood will that remedy any possible issues? Also I want to get it with a manual tranny but the guy at the dealership made a very good point about driving stick... and how it occupies hands I might otherwise be using in other ways... my ex and I used to have fun on the road... anyway any input?

·
Registered
751 Posts
well the convertible is not as rigid as a coupe, however you should be able to run f/i just fine. Also consider getting a pony package, it comes with sway bars. But yet sway bars will make the car more rigid and they do make a difference.

on a side note, get whatever tranny you want. Yes auto is simpler and more consistent, but manual is more fun and gives you far more control. I live around dc and we have traffic like nobodys business but i still wish i went with a manual. Just think long and hard about it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
As long as you don't want to take it to the track and compete a vert is stiff enough and can be made to handle very well.

I have front strut brace, lowered rear only and rear sway bar, handles well. Still a little cowl shake on bad bumps but I have not had or been in a vert that has not had cowl shake.

It is a light clutch and the T-5 is not too notchy so not too bad depending on what kind of driving you do. Not Honda stick easy but close.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The V6 'vert will take to a blower just fine. I would recommend a strut brace for ANY S197. Definitely tightens up the front end handling.

If the convenience of groping your g/f is a big selling point in the stick vs. auto debate, can I recommend a full size van instead of a Mustang? Just think of the possibilities :gringreen

You do know that the auto costs more than the stick, and the salesman's cut is based on the final price of the vehicle right? He's looking out for SOMEONE's interest alright, it just probably ain't yours...

·
Registered
101 Posts
As long as you don't want to take it to the track and compete a vert is stiff enough and can be made to handle very well.

I have front strut brace, lowered rear only and rear sway bar, handles well. Still a little cowl shake on bad bumps but I have not had or been in a vert that has not had cowl shake.

It is a light clutch and the T-5 is not too notchy so not too bad depending on what kind of driving you do. Not Honda stick easy but close.
Actually I DO plan to rally race my 07 Vert. I'm just upgrading it first with at least GT suspension (Springs, Stab Bars, Struts/Shocks) plus strut tower braces front & rear, heavy duty braces on rear diff too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.