Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know there are millions of posts about the cowl rust but I see prices and work vary from post to post from 2004 up to now.

I have a 1966 Mustang Coupe.
Water leaks into it and im 99% sure its from the cowls that everyone has the issues with. Im in north georgia (cobb county), does anyone have any shops they would recommend to do this work? and how much should I expect to pay? ive been seeing 500-2000. I need a little better range than that. Also same thing with floor pans. How much should I expect to be paying to have those replaced???

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The water leak could be anything from a leaky windshield gasket to a rusted out cowl. Even the frame around the windshield could be rotted away.

Without seeing your car none of us can give you a better estimate. If the cowl area is rusted really bad and you are paying someone else to do the work, even $2k might not be enough. That is a MAJOR job. At least its easy to get to the floor pans. You have to do major work just to open up the cowl area before actually starting a repair.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Ditto for Ivy66GT.... I've done this repair. It's several hours to get to where one can view the point of water entry. Now, there are many shortcuts to this repair that's been posted here and other forums. I researched many of them. In the end, I chose what I call the full monty. The windshield, and front fenders need to be removed to just to start. There are approx. 100 (a little more or less) spot welds to be cutout before starting the repair. Mine only needed cleanup as there was no penetration. Next, is rust prevention, primer and paint and re-installing the top cowl, fenders etc...
It's a big bad laborous job, if you choose to do or have it done correctly.
Good luck with your decision...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts