Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious why Ford didn't address the Camaro right when it came out with relatively the same amount of horsepower. Right now just about everyone I talk to says they would take a Camaro hands down to the mustang. Had the Mustang wrangled up some more horses and gave IRS a shot I think stories might have changed. Could you imagine 400hp and IRS on the 2010 Mustang? I think motortrend, car and driver, and road & track would have something else to say.

Currently im reading the 2010 Mustang is about half a second slower then the Camaro yet out handles the Camaro on the skidpad and in the slalom. With roughly 400 HP I would bet the Mustang would be a couple tenth's quicker in the quarter and with IRS the Mustang would dominate the skidpad as well provide better ride.

Just seems odd to me that Ford would give away a big chunk of their market... :scratchchin

If only I worked for Ford :D

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Why not use the 5.4 it's has some serious a$$. Now that GM is owned by Uncle Sam I'm sure they will be getting out of the performance car market and building Chevettes again.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Im curious why Ford didn't address the Camaro right when it came out with relatively the same amount of horsepower. Right now just about everyone I talk to says they would take a Camaro hands down to the mustang. Had the Mustang wrangled up some more horses and gave IRS a shot I think stories might have changed. Could you imagine 400hp and IRS on the 2010 Mustang? I think motortrend, car and driver, and road & track would have something else to say.

Currently im reading the 2010 Mustang is about half a second slower then the Camaro yet out handles the Camaro on the skidpad and in the slalom. With roughly 400 HP I would bet the Mustang would be a couple tenth's quicker in the quarter and with IRS the Mustang would dominate the skidpad as well provide better ride.

Just seems odd to me that Ford would give away a big chunk of their market... :scratchchin

If only I worked for Ford :D
The new 5.0 is on it's way soon. Why rush an engine to production before all testing and quality control has been completed?

On the horsepower front, Ford probably knew it could do more with less in 2010. If they didn't know, the point is they have. Also keep in mind that GM pretty much pulled the LS3 out of the Corvette and plopped it in the Camaro. Nothing innovative there.

The 2010 doesn't need an IRS, hence all the reviews praising the Mustang's handling over the Camaro. The properly balanced solid axle setup wins. And if we're honest, most Mustangs that race will be raced at the Saturday night 1/4 mile, where an IRS isn't preferred. If you want to carve corners, the 2010 Mustang is ready. The tests have proven that.

There are plenty of options out there for buyers that absolutely need to know their car has an IRS. Ford will never win over those buyers. For street duty I'd seriously question why someone concerned with handling would want an IRS Camaro when the Mustang handles better, steers better, and weighs substantially less. My guess is that the Camaro has the 'hot' factor of a new body and a 400+ HP engine. On paper that's intoxicating. 2011 will be the year that the power dynamic shifts when we see the Coyote and the Ecoboost TT V6.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the Mustang still handles much better then the Camaro even with a solid rear axle but im curious why not just put one in and make the Mustang dominate the Camaro even more. For the most part, GT Mustangs are generally not taken to the track and if they were, a 300-400 hp Mustang is surely not going to break the IRS. Just like when the Mustang made the jump from carburated to fuel injection I think it might be time to step up to IRS. Solid rear axle may be demanded on the drag strip, but for your average sports car enthusiast I think its more about the way it handles. By the way, look at a 03-04 Cobra with IRS vs Mach 1 with solid rear, the Cobra pulls close to .9 g's and the mach 1 is .84. Clearly the IRS makes a difference. Also the IRS on the Cobra supports the terminator motor which is stock with 405hp.

The last question I have is why does Ford continue to use the 5 speed transmission? Theres a reason why if you step up to a GT500 or a Cobra you get a 6 speed tranny, and thats because its superior. For one, you can obtain a higher top speed and even more importantly you can get better gas mileage. How you ask? Keeping the RPMs at a minimum helps to save gas and makes cruising a breeze. Theres a reason cars are getting more gears year by year.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I understand the Mustang still handles much better then the Camaro even with a solid rear axle but im curious why not just put one in and make the Mustang dominate the Camaro even more. For the most part, GT Mustangs are generally not taken to the track and if they were, a 300-400 hp Mustang is surely not going to break the IRS. Just like when the Mustang made the jump from carburated to fuel injection I think it might be time to step up to IRS. Solid rear axle may be demanded on the drag strip, but for your average sports car enthusiast I think its more about the way it handles. By the way, look at a 03-04 Cobra with IRS vs Mach 1 with solid rear, the Cobra pulls close to .9 g's and the mach 1 is .84. Clearly the IRS makes a difference. Also the IRS on the Cobra supports the terminator motor which is stock with 405hp.
There's a good chance we'll see an IRS in 2014 with the new platform. Until then, it may be a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't change it'. I get where you're coming from, but what the Mustang would gain in a bit of handling (based on an already great 2010) it would lose in strength. More people race these cars than you might think. Even if it's once a year at the Friday night Test & Tune. For the street, I don't know that more than 5% of drivers can push any suspension to its limit. I still don't see a compelling reason to move to IRS yet. If GM wants to compete with Infinity, Nissan, and BMW more power to them. It hasn't resulted in a superior handling Camaro. The Cobras aren't an ironclad case for independent rear suspension either based on what I've seen from owners verbally trashing it. Guys making serious power or needing traction sometimes swap a standard GT's stick axle.

The last question I have is why does Ford continue to use the 5 speed transmission? Theres a reason why if you step up to a GT500 or a Cobra you get a 6 speed tranny, and thats because its superior. For one, you can obtain a higher top speed and even more importantly you can get better gas mileage. How you ask? Keeping the RPMs at a minimum helps to save gas and makes cruising a breeze. Theres a reason cars are getting more gears year by year.
My guess is that the 5 speed has remained in the GT for cost reasons. We'll see a 6 speed by 2012 more than likely, since Ford has mentioned that 90% of their products will have them by then. I haven't found myself yearning for that extra gear yet - after all, they're both Tremec units and I already get excellent gas mileage. If I had an extra 100 horsepower I might want that stronger 6060.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I agree with VA Ford, especially when it comes to pushing the 5.0 to have been ready for this year. Even with 100 more HP, the top end Camaro barely edges past the GT. What helps the GT is it's superior overall package, curb weight especially. I personally like that they are taking an extra year to (hopefully) get all of the kinks worked out with the new enginer before they drop it in.

With all the styling changes, suspension changes, etc., a new powertrain would have been a lot to coordinate, and I could see a lot more things beeing overlooked and corners being cut to meet deadlines, therefor a sub par vehicle getting built. As it is now, they get to see what all they have done right with everything else, and then go from there with a thoroughly tested and worked engine. And just think, when the Stang jumps up 100 HP, it will eat up those camaros and it won't even be funny. Ok, it defintiely will be funny :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yeah a 400HP 302CI IRS Mustang would be great. The Mustang might finally be able to hang with the imports with one. Since some people want to drag and others want to race I think they should make the IRS one of two rear axle set ups. SRA or IRS like we have auto or stick you see?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Highly doubt they will offer IRS anytime soon, especially with the handling that the track pack offers. It's able to pull more G's on the skid pad than the camaro or challenger and from the reviews, its sounds like the steering is phenomenal. I seem to remember reading .94 G's somewhere, which is pretty awesome considering a C6 corvette is only .01 or .02 more than that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This makes no sense. You want a 6 speed and IRS just because the chally and cramero have it? One of the reasons Ford has always outsold them is price, and 6 speeds and IRS cost money. When the 05 came out, Ford went to the dragstrips and talked to Mustang faithful, talked to cobra owners. The majority of them wanted a solid axle, cobra guys were swapping out IRS! The CameroSS and Challenger R/T are more expensive already, and the track pack outhandles them easily. So now the Ford keeps the drag guys happy with the solid (stronger) axle, and still outhandles them at autocross! I repeat - why IRS? The 6 speed will probably be coming eventually, but right now the 'Stang gets better mileage with only one overdrive gear, in a tranny that cost less to keep overall cost down. Simple economics, and why Ford is still on top w/out taking obama money!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.