Ford Mustang Forum banner

Mustang desperately needs 5.0!

996 9
Im curious why Ford didn't address the Camaro right when it came out with relatively the same amount of horsepower. Right now just about everyone I talk to says they would take a Camaro hands down to the mustang. Had the Mustang wrangled up some more horses and gave IRS a shot I think stories might have changed. Could you imagine 400hp and IRS on the 2010 Mustang? I think motortrend, car and driver, and road & track would have something else to say.

Currently im reading the 2010 Mustang is about half a second slower then the Camaro yet out handles the Camaro on the skidpad and in the slalom. With roughly 400 HP I would bet the Mustang would be a couple tenth's quicker in the quarter and with IRS the Mustang would dominate the skidpad as well provide better ride.

Just seems odd to me that Ford would give away a big chunk of their market... :scratchchin

If only I worked for Ford :D
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I understand the Mustang still handles much better then the Camaro even with a solid rear axle but im curious why not just put one in and make the Mustang dominate the Camaro even more. For the most part, GT Mustangs are generally not taken to the track and if they were, a 300-400 hp Mustang is surely not going to break the IRS. Just like when the Mustang made the jump from carburated to fuel injection I think it might be time to step up to IRS. Solid rear axle may be demanded on the drag strip, but for your average sports car enthusiast I think its more about the way it handles. By the way, look at a 03-04 Cobra with IRS vs Mach 1 with solid rear, the Cobra pulls close to .9 g's and the mach 1 is .84. Clearly the IRS makes a difference. Also the IRS on the Cobra supports the terminator motor which is stock with 405hp.

The last question I have is why does Ford continue to use the 5 speed transmission? Theres a reason why if you step up to a GT500 or a Cobra you get a 6 speed tranny, and thats because its superior. For one, you can obtain a higher top speed and even more importantly you can get better gas mileage. How you ask? Keeping the RPMs at a minimum helps to save gas and makes cruising a breeze. Theres a reason cars are getting more gears year by year.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.