Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know that Im not very good with the mechanic ..but can anyone tell me what can I do to make the two rear wheel of my mustang turn because I have the v6 and there is only one that make burnout. So what the cheapest way to do this ? thanks for info!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it expensive to install it? or can we install it ourself? thanks again!

·
Registered
98 Posts
ive heard its easy enough to install yourself, and i heard but not sure it would cost the same amount as changing gears which is between 250-400 somethin like that.

Ask a guy name shinerstang, hes super smart with mustangs and really knows what he is talkin about. I'm sure he'll tell you how to install it yourself for sure:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It would be better to install gears and a T-lok at the same time. All the T-lok will do is allow you to spin both tires for better traction, adding in the gears will give you much better acceleration. And a T-lok isn't the hardest thing to do but it is far from easy. It takes some know-how to do.

·
Registered
313 Posts
also if you install gears too you will need a kit that includes the bearings because the old ones are worn to the old gears... goodluck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah.. can we install it with the stock gear and if i install it with the stock gear do i need other things with that t-lok? thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
yes you can and i don't think you need anything else but a few tools..but that ,however, i dont know

i dont know what kind of tools.:headscratch:

·
Registered
98 Posts
my apologizes...
you'll need carrier bearings/races, axle shaft seals, fluid, friction modifier and some RTV should do-it

·
Registered
313 Posts
yea you have to have all that to do it... i helped with a rear end on my buddies truck and we had to buy all the bearings and seals and stuff.. what country said ask shiner stang the guys a mechanical genius

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Ya if your doing a tlok its not bad at all. However if you are swapping gears its a lil more difficult with the setting up.
I wouldnt say my father is a mechanical genius but hes getting better.:so
You could actually do a tlok swap in a day. Right at home. Just make sure to have jackstands.
Jack the car up, take wheels and calipers off both sides. Proceed to take off the differential cover. WARNING fluid will come out. so have something to catch it with. Once you get the cover open, you will need to remove the c-clips on the axle ends. I usually just push them off with a screwdriver. Slide the axles out a lil. The differential in the rear has a metal pin that runs through the middle. At one end of the pin is a small bolt 7mm i think. Take out the bolt and the push the center pin out!
Then to get the old differential out u will need to take off the caps on the sides. Then it should come right out. Then you'll need to take off the ring gear and put it on the new tlok and then just button it all back up.
Its a bit vague but u should get the jist once you start.

·
Registered
313 Posts
lol well from what ive seen he is... im going to install a t-lok too... what kind of fluid do you put back in it?... how much hp will the ffrp lok hold safely?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
LOL well he has his moments!!!!
Ill tell you this... If you plan on goin for big power save some time and just swap out your rear for an 8.8. I made that mistake, installed gears, and tlok in my old 7.5. I drove it for 5 months, and then started on the turbo project. So i needed to upgrade rears. Pretty much wasted all that money on my rear.
Remember to get the friction modifier, and i believe the gear oil is 75w140. But dont quote me on that:happyhapp

·
Registered
313 Posts
honestly this car is not going to see above 300 hp for a while im just now getting student loans and i have minimal money to spend on it but im gonna keep it because the body is in perfect condition and its just gonna be one of those project cars later on when i have money to spend on it but it definantly needs a t lock because the one wheel thing just doesnt cut it lol... what kind of intake manifold is that on your car? thats a nice set up... to complicated for my knowlege but lookin at the numbers lol 450 is good for me ...

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Good quick write-up kid. You could tell we do this in our sleep. Just a couple things to remember:

1. The brake brackets need to come off so you can pull out the axles. (15mm)
2. The pin bolt is 8mm and you need to remove it so you can push the axles in to remove the c-clips.
3.When you are removing the stock differential and taking off the end caps, everything needs to go back into the same exact spot ass they came out. This will include any/all shims. Torque down the end caps to 75ftlbs.
4. You need to take your stock ring gear off of your old differential. Remove the 10 bolts and tap the ring gear with a hammer. Do not be afraid to break it, go around it with the hammer.
5. When sliding your new ring gear on the new t-lock, make sure it is all the way up once you tighten all the bolts. Go to the opposite side bolt when tightening.(180 degrees)
6. The only other sticky part is removing the old bearings off of the carrier and installing them on your t-lock. That has to be done with a bearing press. It will probably cost you about 20 bucks to have a local mom and pop shop do it for you.

It's not really that complicated. I would give this a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1-10. Take your time, makes sure the parts go back in the same order they came out, fill it up with fluid and friction modifier and you're all set.......

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
honestly this car is not going to see above 300 hp for a while im just now getting student loans and i have minimal money to spend on it but im gonna keep it because the body is in perfect condition and its just gonna be one of those project cars later on when i have money to spend on it but it definantly needs a t lock because the one wheel thing just doesnt cut it lol... what kind of intake manifold is that on your car? thats a nice set up... to complicated for my knowlege but lookin at the numbers lol 450 is good for me ...
Its just a stock intake that has been ported by supersix. Nothing fancy yet. I want to get a sheetmetal upper! Ya 450 is pretty fun... Im not gonna lie.

·
Registered
313 Posts
im marking this as a favorate so i can refer to it when i install mine thanks :)...

·
Registered
52 Posts
You guys just answered all my questions..i'm with quintonTC, my six isn't gonna see anywhere near the hp yall are running so the tlok will be just fine for me..would you recomend the 3.73 gears for an every day driver wanting just a little more pep? Thanks for all the help.

-Elliott

1 - 20 of 60 Posts