Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a difference in power numbers between the two? example: same car with same mods on each dyno will there be a difference in hp or torque?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. The mustang dyno will post lower numbers. I had my car dyno-ed on both. The mustang dyno read about 15-20 rwhp and 5-10 lbs of tq. less.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Thats right, they load differntly.

Plus you have to consider the same car running on the Dynos... are they both corrected to Standard conditions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
After having my car on a Mustang dyno, I did a little research. Most sources say the Mustang dyno shows 8-15% less than a dynojet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There "can" be a difference. There is no direct conversion rate since the MD can be setup differenly per shop. I've seen some that only vary a few % while others are in the teens. The best bet is to get a pull or two done on the one you want.

·
Registered
131 Posts
jml5150 said:
Yes. The mustang dyno will post lower numbers. I had my car dyno-ed on both. The mustang dyno read about 15-20 rwhp and 5-10 lbs of tq. less.
So the question is which dyno is "right" ? I have had all of my dyno work done on a Mustang. My tuner (who knows how to tune and run a dyno)
was up front and told me that the numbers will be lower then the Dyno Jet but they are true numbers!!!

I do find it funny that most aftermarket items (turbos, blowers, CIA, exhaust systems, etc) all seem to use a Dyno Jet when testing thier product. Do they do this to give us the impression that the product is better because the HP and TQ numbers are higher on a DJ ???

I have seen my tuner run a car that had a blower installed by a name brand company here in CA. The numbers came out to be lower then what the installer/manufacture told the guy (they use a DJ for tuning and say so in the ads they place in the Mustang mags). This guy went back to the blower company and raised hell. They ran the car again on the DJ and the numbers they claimed showed up. So who is right?

IMO we all want to have bigger and higher numbers for our cars as do those that make the aftermarket parts. It all in the braging rights I guess.

The battle of which dyno :sterb: , be it Mustang or a DJ, is right will go on for years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CityDave, you are absolutely right. That's pretty much what the guys at the shop that tuned my car said. They used to only use DJ, but then they got a MD and use it a lot more because they say they are able to get more acurate "real world" tunes with it. The MD has loading cells which help simulate real world driving situations. I'm by no means an expert, but that's how it was explained to me.

They also said they have a lot of customers that have their cars tuned on the MD then run on the DJ just so they have a print out of the higher numbers. One dyno is not better than the other, it's just the preference of the tuner.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
My understanding is that the Mustang Dyno out of the box will read less because of its 'built in mechanical load' while the Dyno Jet will read higher because it works of 'no load' on the car beeing dynoed. But, BIG but! A Dyno Jet can be programmed to simulate load (not mechanical but computer simulated before showing numbers and graphs) so it's VERY close to Mustang Dyno numbers, sometimes lower!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dyno'd on both, here is what happened

Last spring on a DynoJet my '05 pulled 488 SAE RWHP and 421 RWT.

A couple of weeks ago we pulled the results shown on the jpeg below.
The results are close, but for the new Mustang Dyno we had the exhaust port plug installed so we could get more accurate Fuel/Air readings from ahead of the cats. This is apparently really important if you are going to custom tune your car. Meters stuck up the exhaust pipe can apparently be corrupted by fuel trapped in the cats!

The shop with the Dyno Jet pulls the Imports to " Standard" settings.
This gives them higher numbers! My 488 SAE read 500 at Standard. There is apparently more "opportunity" as suggested by our posts to show people what they want to see. My opinion is to go with the Mustang Dyno if you are serious about tuning or setting up your car if you have a choice.

p.s.It is also best to record and quote RWHP at SAE settings so we can have a constant.

Cheers Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts