Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the game of modifying my Mustang and I need some input on this. I had some tuning done on my Stang after I got my C & L intake, using DiabloSport Predator (93 ocatne). The tuning was done by a speedshop that doesn't specialize in Mustangs but rather in imports (STI's). I had some good numbers on their DynoJet, 280 RWHP and 290 RWTQ. However, I have the opportunity to get some Dyno tuning done by a Mustang expert and their shop uses a Mustang Dyno. I was just wondering what the differences are between the two Dyno's so I can do a fair comparison of numbers after my next tune.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was told up front by my tuner that the numbers he was going to give me were going to be lower then a DynoJet. My tuner uses a Mustang Dyno. I have asked why the diffrent numbers and have been told that DynoJet uses a diffrent program and dyno platform to reach the numbers they give out. My tuner said that a "DJ" will show around 15% higher numbers and that a Mustang Dyno are more of a true number.

I would ask why all of the aftermarket companys want to use the DynoJet numbers when talking about the product they are selling. Higher HP and Torq numbers look great on paper being eveyone wants to have the best numbers showing.

I trust my tuner and the numbers he gives me for my car. I would rather have numbers that are more in line with what the engine can put out then numbers that are not true. "JMO"

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't blame the aftermarket companies for using the DynoJet since the % increases from stock should be the same as on a Mustang Dyno. However, you are right that the bottom line numbers will look a little inflated.

I was just wondering what I could expect from puting my car on a Mustang Dyno compared to the DynoJet runs that I had made. If I am understanding correclty I could get my car tuned by the Mustang guy and pick some horsepower and tourque but actually show lower bottom line numbers at the end of the day compared to the DynoJet? Crazy crazy world of tuning.

G

·
It doesn't matter as long as you stay consistent with the pre/ post gain testing.

Mustang Dynos simulate "real world" weight and air drag, etc.

It is hard to keep comparing between the 2 and most peeps use the DJ.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well the DJ is the industry standard basically. They are more accurate in the fact there a better dyno. They have there own weather station to get run conditions unlike a mustang dyno which you can alter #s very easy, load, weight of the car and whatever the person says the weather is. Also a properly ready mustang dyno will only read about 3-4% lower than a dyno jet:winks

·
Registered
183 Posts
QWK05GT said:
They are more accurate in the fact there a better dyno.

They are? :rolleyes: Show me the objective facts backing this statement up? I've talked to trusted performance shops the prefer the MD dyno for it's real-world testing abilities. I agree DJ are industry "bragging/marketing numbers" but that does not make that dyno "better".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All very interesting facts. I guess when I get to the Mustang Dyno I'll make an initial run with everything how it is and compare those numbers to the DynoJet. Then I'll go from there.
I wish that there were some sort of standard Dyno that everyone used so everyone could compare their numbers equally. Looking at some people's signatures and seeing the different HP and TQ numbers makes me really wonder how different their vehicles really are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
fin1 said:

They are? :rolleyes: Show me the objective facts backing this statement up? I've talked to trusted performance shops the prefer the MD dyno for it's real-world testing abilities. I agree DJ are industry "bragging/marketing numbers" but that does not make that dyno "better".
Well what can the MD do that the D/J can't? The dyno jet now has a eddy brake set-up that you can put load on the car and run real world situations. Plus like I said it is the industry standard because there is a ton less room to lie about the #s. A MD can play with, alter #s so easy it isn't even funny. The MD has to be calibrated by the shop each morning for the conditions, a D/J does all that itself so no room for error or false #s. The fact you can alter the results, #s so easily make me dislike the MD.

I am not saying a MD is a junk or bad dyno by any means, I just think the D/J is the better TOOL of the two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts