Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As printed in the Sept issue by Rob Reaser:

There's no denying that six-cylinder Mustangs have been the uncelebrated members of the ponycar herd from the beginning. It is the V-8 cars for whom fame, glory and enthusiast praise has always been heaped in abundance, and historically speaking thats as it should be. Considering the added cost of purchase, fuel economy, and insurance penalties inherent to an eight-cylinder sportscar, V-8 Mustangs have traditionally been the choice of the performance enthusiast set while the six-cylinder cars served to keep the Mustang a viable mainstream product. For that alone, we owe a massive debt to the v-6 ponies, as well as their four-cylinder brethren. Without them, the Mustang would never have sustained the sales volume needed to keep the car alive throught the 1980's.
Unfortunatly, too many enthusiasts have looked upon the six-cylinder Mustangs as "useful idiots"- a car that was necessary to keep the nameplate going, "but please, don't hang around us or pretend to be an equal."
Snobbery at its finest.
Now lets cinsider something. In 1985 the 5.0 GT was rated at 210 horsepower (a significant jump upwards from the 165 hp 5.0 of 1984(. The following year horsepower increased to 225 hp, and this represented the highmark for the entire Fox era.
As we all know, the 5.0 is the most celebrated and thoroughly explored powermill in Ford history. It helped the Mustang win the Ford vs GM ponycar wars, and launched an aftermarket segment the likes of which we've never seen before. With choice bolton components and intelligent tuning strateges, that 225 hp V-8 served as the foundation for some of the fastest gasoline-powered cars in history.
With that in mind, consider also the current V-6 Mustang. Displacement is a scant 0.6 liters less than its V-8 counterpart, and the current base Mustang is rated at 210 horsepower. Folks, thats right on par with the most famed Mustang GT engine of all time. Knock the 2005 V-6 for its power output and your're simultaneously slamming the lauded 5.0L.
Herein lies hypocrisy.
I say all of this as a preface to a prediction: The dawn of the V-6 performance Mustang is nigh. Today this engine stands on a platform high enough that it can jump into the WOW! realm rather quickly. Already I've talked to a few aftermarket manufacturers who are eyeballing the V-6 pony for development of not only choice speed parts, but also comprehensive performance packages. And the whispered word amongst these forward thinkers is "turbocharger."
Why not? In fact, how could the aftermarket afford not to look in this direction? Mustangs are flying off of dealer lots. New enthusiasts are being made daily with the flourish of pen on payment contract, and it's not only GTs which are selling. As of this writing the V-6 couple is $5,925 under the cost of a base GT coupe. then there is the massive insurance differential between the two cars, which is of significant importance for younger buyers.
In two or three years there will be scads of pre-owned fifth-gen V-6 ponies for sale, and all with strong engines primed for a few performance mods. the companies who develop high-performance parts for these cars today will soon reap the rewards, and V-6 owners will also win-particularly those of the younger generation who may otherwise be attacted to the price and performance packages found in many of today's import models.
The V-8 will always be king of the horsepower realm, but the new prince of performance is about to have its day.
Remember, you heard it here first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
Here's a post I wrote on this article on a different board... LOL

That article really hit the nail on the head.... It's amazing the number of people that strictly judge a car by the number of cylinders... As soon as I make the logical arguments, like the ones in the article, the V8 snobs usually then resort to personal attacks and name calling! LOL!

I was over at Alternative Auto yesterday (www.alternativeauto.com). Lidio has built some of those incredibly fast 5.0's. And I can tell you he is very excited about the new V6! Like the author of the article, he sees the potential of the 4.0L.

From their site:

Alternative Auto is excited about the 05 V-6 Mustang and fully intends to pursue not only performance tunes, but other bolt-ons as they become available, like higher stall torque converters, pulleys and air boxes. Hopefully we’ll be trying and testing some superchargers on the 4.0L V-6 by late 2005.

Like I said, I've seen first hand how much interest in the V6 Lidio has when I bring my car in... Again, he's one of the guys who sees the potential and is going to try to help us get the most out of our cars!

BTW... my 14.922 at the track was better than a lot of those older V8 cars running 15s and 16s... LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,191 Posts
I could not agree more, There are certain options on the V6 that I would rather have than a GT. But I beg to differ on the HP rating, The GT was rated at 210 HP in 85, But it dropped to 200 on the 86 with slightly higher torque than the 85. I had a 86 GT, and I'll bet the current V6 could beat it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
My take on the new V6 vs the old V8 is that I would damn well hope that a new tech V6 could take a tired old 8. And by tired I dont just mean that its in bad shape but that its fairly old technology.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
STONECOLD said:
My take on the new V6 vs the old V8 is that I would damn well hope that a new tech V6 could take a tired old 8. And by tired I dont just mean that its in bad shape but that its fairly old technology.
The problem is there are a lot of "tired old V8 guys" out there who simply look down at the new V6 solely on the fact that it only has 6 cylinders even though it out performs many of their beloved older "muscle cars". To them it's still "just a 6 cylinder"... LOL! They need to realize this is not the old 80's rental car V6 Mustang! LOL!

I've talked to a few different "speed shops" and they all are taking the new V6 Mustang very seriously...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Exactly, Big John...we're just asking for a seat at the table here. You can tell Lidio I am ready and waitin' to put some cash in his pocket on an aftermarket rocket. The guy I went with to have the CAI and Xcal2 done was definitely dismissive when I started askin' him about future mods for HP increases...in fact, he actually told me at one point "Hey, it's only a V6." As if it was a VW Bug or something. Bollocks on him. I'll take vacation days for a road trip if necessary...Dixi wants to take her game to the next level, and she will not be denied.

BTW, nice time at the track! I was hoping to stay below 16 on my first run (hopefully next month) but your post has caused me to start revising that expectation. Now it's YOUR turn to make your baby sprint...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
zregime said:
Exactly, Big John...we're just asking for a seat at the table here. You can tell Lidio I am ready and waitin' to put some cash in his pocket on an aftermarket rocket. The guy I went with to have the CAI and Xcal2 done was definitely dismissive when I started askin' him about future mods for HP increases...in fact, he actually told me at one point "Hey, it's only a V6." As if it was a VW Bug or something. Bollocks on him. I'll take vacation days for a road trip if necessary...Dixi wants to take her game to the next level, and she will not be denied.

BTW, nice time at the track! I was hoping to stay below 16 on my first run (hopefully next month) but your post has caused me to start revising that expectation. Now it's YOUR turn to make your baby sprint...
"Hey, it's only a V6..." LOL! Yep, sounds like you need to take your business else where! LOL!

Luckily there are few people like Lidio who have enough vision to recognize the potential of our lil 'ol V6s... Talked with another company here in Michigan that's working on a Twin Turbo! Hmmm... wonder if they say, "Hey, it's only a V6!" LOL!

I mentioned to Lidio that Explorer Express will be coming out with an Eaton unit for our cars... He just grinned... I mean when we talk about my car, he actually GET EXCITED! And even the people who are developing the T/T got excited talking about the V6... These are the kind of people we need to get hooked up with! They will take are game to the next level!

BTW, Ran into a guy with a Mercury Marauder... He came all the way from MD to have Lidio work on this car... LOL!

I'm seriously thinking about changing my license plate from SCRMING to something more like JUSTAV6.... maybe after we installed some forced induction... LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
I have nothing against the 6 or its owners. Im all for them getting the attention and support from the market that they can get. I myself wouldnt own a V6 but thats just because of personal preference. I learned to drive in V8 cars and Ive owned nothing but 8's.

I guess some of those "tired old V8 guys" you mentioned need to be reminded that if it wasnt for the sales figures of the six we wouldnt be able to have our GT's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
It's really just a matter of perspective. Speaking personally I'd never waste my money on a V-8. Given skyrocketing gas and insurance prices I can think of much better things to spend my hard earned cash on. To some the V-8 is a necessity and I respect their desire to have that powerplant. But it is predominently a choice in powerplant. When you park a V-6 and V-8 side by side there aren't a lot of visible cues to differentiate the two. Take away the fogs, GT emblems, dual exhaust, and rocker panels and its visually the same car. Yes there are more things under the hood and frame but only a select few would know what to look for and where to look. :eyebulge:

To me the bottom line is that a Mustang is a Mustang is a Mustang. From its roots as a mid-year 1964 introduction as a "Secretary's car", the Mustang (with whichever powerplant) has become an icon within the American car scene. It's been with us for Forty years and, if we're lucky, it'll be around for forty more! :drink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Well said, Sir Martimus!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
martimus said:
When you park a V-6 and V-8 side by side there aren't a lot of visible cues to differentiate the two. Take away the fogs, GT emblems, dual exhaust, and rocker panels and its visually the same car. Yes there are more things under the hood and frame but only a select few would know what to look for and where to look. :eyebulge:
This is true and is something I have always been unhappy about. I prefer that there were bigger differences between the Cobra, GT and 6. But I guess this way it keeps cost down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,433 Posts
rgensemer said:
As printed in the Sept issue by Rob Reaser:

There's no denying that six-cylinder Mustangs have been the uncelebrated members of the ponycar herd from the beginning. It is the V-8 cars for whom fame, glory and enthusiast praise has always been heaped in abundance, and historically speaking thats as it should be. Considering the added cost of purchase, fuel economy, and insurance penalties inherent to an eight-cylinder sportscar, V-8 Mustangs have traditionally been the choice of the performance enthusiast set while the six-cylinder cars served to keep the Mustang a viable mainstream product. For that alone, we owe a massive debt to the v-6 ponies, as well as their four-cylinder brethren. Without them, the Mustang would never have sustained the sales volume needed to keep the car alive throught the 1980's.
Unfortunatly, too many enthusiasts have looked upon the six-cylinder Mustangs as "useful idiots"- a car that was necessary to keep the nameplate going, "but please, don't hang around us or pretend to be an equal."
Snobbery at its finest.
Now lets cinsider something. In 1985 the 5.0 GT was rated at 210 horsepower (a significant jump upwards from the 165 hp 5.0 of 1984(. The following year horsepower increased to 225 hp, and this represented the highmark for the entire Fox era.
As we all know, the 5.0 is the most celebrated and thoroughly explored powermill in Ford history. It helped the Mustang win the Ford vs GM ponycar wars, and launched an aftermarket segment the likes of which we've never seen before. With choice bolton components and intelligent tuning strateges, that 225 hp V-8 served as the foundation for some of the fastest gasoline-powered cars in history.
With that in mind, consider also the current V-6 Mustang. Displacement is a scant 0.6 liters less than its V-8 counterpart, and the current base Mustang is rated at 210 horsepower. Folks, thats right on par with the most famed Mustang GT engine of all time. Knock the 2005 V-6 for its power output and your're simultaneously slamming the lauded 5.0L.
Herein lies hypocrisy.
I say all of this as a preface to a prediction: The dawn of the V-6 performance Mustang is nigh. Today this engine stands on a platform high enough that it can jump into the WOW! realm rather quickly. Already I've talked to a few aftermarket manufacturers who are eyeballing the V-6 pony for development of not only choice speed parts, but also comprehensive performance packages. And the whispered word amongst these forward thinkers is "turbocharger."
Why not? In fact, how could the aftermarket afford not to look in this direction? Mustangs are flying off of dealer lots. New enthusiasts are being made daily with the flourish of pen on payment contract, and it's not only GTs which are selling. As of this writing the V-6 couple is $5,925 under the cost of a base GT coupe. then there is the massive insurance differential between the two cars, which is of significant importance for younger buyers.
In two or three years there will be scads of pre-owned fifth-gen V-6 ponies for sale, and all with strong engines primed for a few performance mods. the companies who develop high-performance parts for these cars today will soon reap the rewards, and V-6 owners will also win-particularly those of the younger generation who may otherwise be attacted to the price and performance packages found in many of today's import models.
The V-8 will always be king of the horsepower realm, but the new prince of performance is about to have its day.
Remember, you heard it here first.

I think he's been reading my posts.

but the 4.0L isn't that much better than the 99+ 3.8L. It definitely sounds better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
I resent the fact that this person generalized all V-8 owners into "looking down on the V-6". Still fast cars. But bad wording to classify the V8 owners as "Snobbery at its finest. "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,433 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
I resent the fact that this person generalized all V-8 owners into "looking down on the V-6". Still fast cars. But bad wording to classify the V8 owners as "Snobbery at its finest. "
yeah! I'd say, "chauvenism at its finest!!" Or perhaps "boorishness at its finest!!"


:happyhapp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
I resent the fact that this person generalized all V-8 owners into "looking down on the V-6". Still fast cars. But bad wording to classify the V8 owners as "Snobbery at its finest. "
Actually i think he said too many enthusiasts. I did not take it to mean all V8 owners...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I picked a V6 over the GT. The GT was a brute no doubt, but I just won't get my money's worth out of it. Plus, I'm used to my 105hp V6 Mustang II, so the new V6 feels like a ton to me.

Has anyone looked at nitrous for the V6? The tech sheet says it has aluminum pistons. I've never had nitrous, but I think that aluminum pistons and nitrous are a bad combination. Any experts that can comment? I'd love to have an extra 50 or 100 hp on demand just for days when I'm in the mood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,433 Posts
pbatour said:
I picked a V6 over the GT. The GT was a brute no doubt, but I just won't get my money's worth out of it. Plus, I'm used to my 105hp V6 Mustang II, so the new V6 feels like a ton to me.

Has anyone looked at nitrous for the V6? The tech sheet says it has aluminum pistons. I've never had nitrous, but I think that aluminum pistons and nitrous are a bad combination. Any experts that can comment? I'd love to have an extra 50 or 100 hp on demand just for days when I'm in the mood.
yeah, you can run nitrous, if it's a modern system . . . I've never been an N2O person, myself . .. there's the risk, and by the time you start filling bottles, you'd have spent enough for an SC unit, or a good NA build.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Hey V6 Apologist

Agree with the V6 Apologist. We had a 65 289 cid. V8. I drove it and even dragged it at York US 30.

The new V6 will totally outperform the 289. So I bought a 2006 V6 after test driving.

Great car.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
pbatour said:
I picked a V6 over the GT. The GT was a brute no doubt, but I just won't get my money's worth out of it. Plus, I'm used to my 105hp V6 Mustang II, so the new V6 feels like a ton to me.

Has anyone looked at nitrous for the V6? The tech sheet says it has aluminum pistons. I've never had nitrous, but I think that aluminum pistons and nitrous are a bad combination. Any experts that can comment? I'd love to have an extra 50 or 100 hp on demand just for days when I'm in the mood.
Check out this thread from StangNet...

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=569430
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
fishingjts said:
I read that thread. 300+HP from a V6 for under $600? Wow, if that don't get your juices flowing, nothing will!!!
There is nothing more menacing than to note the Nitrous vapor from the exhaust of the car next to you, especially if you are riding with a friend and the car along side happens to belong to you! What a rush!!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top