Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Friday to all!!

I thought the gas tank issues were cleared up in 05!! From what I just heard, this is not true. Had my new 06 GT (600 miles) at the dealer on Monday because I couldn't fuel up past 1/2 a tank......okay......they put a new tank in. This morning I went to fill up...no go. Back at the dealer this morning, just got off the phone with my Service Advisor and I was told there is still a problem with the tank/filler neck. He said he just got off the phone with the "FORD hotline" and currently there is no fix and I will have to wait until they complete troubleshooting this issue! I was told to temporarily **** the gas pump nozzle 90 or 180 degrees and that will help until they get word on a real fix?? :eyebulge:

Called my buddy fleet manager in another state and he checking on this for me. I'll post anything new I find out.

Is anyone else is having this problem? Has anyone else heard that it still is an issue?

Thanks for listening.........
Eric The MadMan

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Eric The MadMan said:
Happy Friday to all!!

I thought the gas tank issues were cleared up in 05!! From what I just heard, this is not true. Had my new 06 GT (600 miles) at the dealer on Monday because I couldn't fuel up past 1/2 a tank......okay......they put a new tank in. This morning I went to fill up...no go. Back at the dealer this morning, just got off the phone with my Service Advisor and I was told there is still a problem with the tank/filler neck. He said he just got off the phone with the "FORD hotline" and currently there is no fix and I will have to wait until they complete troubleshooting this issue! I was told to temporarily **** the gas pump nozzle 90 or 180 degrees and that will help until they get word on a real fix?? :eyebulge:

Called my buddy fleet manager in another state and he checking on this for me. I'll post anything new I find out.

Is anyone else is having this problem? Has anyone else heard that it still is an issue?

Eric The MadMan
Try different stations, with some there is no problem. I would say I have this problem about 1 out of 5 stations.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Usually - the stations where you have the least problem have the most expensive gas - it's a plot - Ford and the gas company are in cahoots :happyhapp

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried several stations and several pumps with no luck. I did just get off the phone with the Fleet Mgr. at the dealership I purchased the car (Colorodo) and he spoke with his Service Mgr who said there is no TSB for the 06 model and should not be an issue. I again called my Service Advisor (in California where I live) and he swears there is an issue for California models although there is no TSB for it?? He claimed his technician called Ford (number is reserved for techs only) and they told him the engineers are investigating the problem and I have to wait for a fix! This sounds like BS to me. Any Ford Techs out there that can verify a California fuel filling issue? I ordered this GT in Sept 05 and picked it up in January. Thanks.........

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yo Eric - I just noticed your in Carlsbad. We'll be at Qualcomm tonight racing and Sunday at Dalton's roadhouse off of Nordahl in San Marcos for a car show. You should stop by.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Its still a bit of a problem...I did stumble on a BP station about 10 miles from home that 'works' without burping gas down the side of the car(nozzle 'normal', but lowest setting)...in 5 fill ups only last 2 were 'sucessful' at the BP and I just go there now(one other local BP didnt work). I did contact ford, and got similar "call your dealer" feedback, but emailed links to a couple forums discussing just this issue, and asked them to simply forward the info to engineering- which they promised they did...if you look under the car at the filler tube, you can see it was a bit of a challenge for ford to put the tank where they did- but it appears to be a pretty crashproof area, and the thin 'hump' in the center looks like it would likely bend in a severe side crash before splitting like a normal tank might...but that filler tube is incredibly tiny- its almost 4 feet long and not a lot bigger than a garden hose a few inches below the gascap. I really think the only way they are going to remedy the situation is with a larger tube and an internal vent tube back to the cap- as the tube goes down/back/up/around/down again I'm pretty sure it just acts a bit like a sink trap when filling, not letting vapors out...I think the level the car sits at may be a factor also- if the stations lot is graded, I had noticed two stations that puked gas out had frontend sitting slightly downhill- the BP that works is other way around.

If mine keeps acting up, I'm gonna try getting some fuelproof plastic tubing to stuff in the filler(like 3/16~1/4" diameter) and cutting a length from top of cap end to just inside tank, and see if that might leave a vent path back to the filler cap(will need to find way to loosly attach inside/top of filler). the slight reduction in area wouldnt be a good thing, but I think the problem is simply venting. if not...I'll just keep driving 10 miles to the BP and wait 5 minutes for it to fill...I'm really worried about fixing before vacation/trip times, as some pumps simply will not slow down enough to get any gas in...could be a problem if no alternate stations nearby.
Love the car, kinda like the tank location for crashworthiness, but sure wish they'd have tested a bit more before building 300,000 of them...If ford dont fix it, I got a feeling the EPA will be hot on thier heels soon- with all the vapor controls imposed these days, I think they really frown on pouring gas on the ground. Even at the BP, mine dribbles a bit(but not more than undercar drain hole will accept)...I can tolerate that, but the sight of gasoline flooding down the side of the car is a bit too much.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well I usually go to the same gas station and sometimes it stops sometimes it works as if it never happened, and yeah my dealer said no fix either

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I live in Nevada, and this happend to me when i traveled to Cali. It only did it a few times in different california stations, but it never did it to me in Nevada. So i'm not sure, but it freaked me out when it happend, it took me 20 mins to get a tank of gas because it would keep on shutting off the pump. I had to hold it in an angle and click and click and click! Maybe its the nozzles from the CA stations??

·
Registered
269 Posts
The only trouble I have had with mine up here in the great white north is I have to go slow on the last 4-5 litres. I think I'd rather put up with that than let the service dudes start ripping the guts outta my ride!..it's the lesser of two evils:sosad: Mines a late build 05.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have no problem if the pump does not have the plastic splash guard and vapor reducer. But, if those plastic parts ARE on the pump handle, it's a no-go.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Have you crawled under your car and looked at the filler tube? My crank is bigger around. Until the factory finds another way to route the filler, make it bigger and install a seperate fill vent, you will continue to have problems filling up.

I just take my time. No big hurry.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2horseowner said:
Yo Eric - I just noticed your in Carlsbad. We'll be at Qualcomm tonight racing and Sunday at Dalton's roadhouse off of Nordahl in San Marcos for a car show. You should stop by.
Hey 2HorseOwner,
Thanks for the invite......sounds like a blast.......real busy with work lately and I'm co-hosting a big SuperBowl party tomorrow in O'side. I'd appreciate if you keep me in the loop for local activities. I'd like to meet everyone and check out the smokin' rides!

As far as my tank issue......."the engineers" are working on the fix. For now, I just have to hold the nozzle between 90 and a 180 degrees while fueling??? It's tough, but the positives outway the negatives BIG time!

I'll get some pics up soon.......
peace out......eric the madman
www.madman-media.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
06 GT with Fueling problems in Calf.

I had a real hard time on my first fill. I could only get about a half a tank in no matter how slow I tried. I left the station and tried a different station with the same results. I did some searching on the forums and someone had suggested turning the nozzle 180 degrees and that did work. Thats how I have been getting gas in since.
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
MrBrent said:
I had a real hard time on my first fill. I could only get about a half a tank in no matter how slow I tried. I left the station and tried a different station with the same results. I did some searching on the forums and someone had suggested turning the nozzle 180 degrees and that did work. Thats how I have been getting gas in since.
Greg
Sorry this is off topic but, MrBrent: That's a fantastic photo of your great ride. Nicely done!

·
Registered
785 Posts
2006 GT Premium Convertible - at 2700 miles now just having the problem with the filling of the tank. Off to the dealer tomorrow. I have already emailed the Service Department to expect me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had this happen the other day to me... I have about 3500 miles and it was the first time it happened.

What I found is that if you move the car forward/backward a litlle (couple of feet) to change the incline it seems to fix the problem. The last time I went to entirely different pump before "she" was happy.

Hope they get a fix soon.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have notice that patience is the key, albeit I have only filled up 3 times. I usually just find a BP and make sure to put the pump on the first click. Seems to have worked fine.

Cinci, still enjoying the car? I know I am, and would be more if it weren't for all the salt.

BC

·
Registered
119 Posts
You know it!

I just turned 3600 and loved every mile of it. I try to wash her once a week or at the very least hose off the grime and salt.

You should come by happy hour again...

·
Registered
83 Posts
GT problem only?

Is this a GT problem only? I have a 2006 V6 and have filled up once a week since Christmas with no problems. I use Chevron "with Sh!Tron" and a couple of other brands in Arizona with no problems. :shrug

Eric The MadMan said:
Happy Friday to all!!

Eric The MadMan

·
Registered
29 Posts
BP Gas Stations

pcfrisch said:
Try different stations, with some there is no problem. I would say I have this problem about 1 out of 5 stations.
Since Ford Recommends BP....why not try them, might help. Well at least
we know Ford is in cohoots with BP!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.