Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 mustang, and I have all the regular gauges. However I would really love a tachometer, I have no desire to modify the existing gauges I either wanted to add one on the steering column or add one to the pillar. So here are my questions based on that.

1. Where can I find the gauges/enclosures that will work with my 1966.

2. How hard is it to install a tach, what type of wiring needs to be done ?

I am also interested if there is some gauge that can hook to the transmission to tell me what gear I am in at a specific time as I have a manual transmission. I am not even sure if this exists.

·
Registered
470 Posts
tach is not hard to hook up it hooks to distributor why do you need a gauge to tell you what gear your in:headscratch:you cant tell what gear you shifted in

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gauge

Well my trans was just replaced and the gears are so close together, that I would love a way to confirm the gear I am in just while I get used to it, as I dont want to put stress on the car.

As far as the Tach , where do I purchase the gauge that goes on the steering column or in the a pillar. Everywhere I look up a tach , I just see replacements for the existing dash ones which I do not want to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tach

Her's my $29.95 Autometer unit from O'Reilly. Very easy intall

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you give me some instructions on how to install it , and a link to where to purchase ? Thanks sooooo much

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed those tachs have some kind of light attached to it, can anyone tell me what that light is, does it change lights when I should shift, or is each gear show a different color ? How does it work ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On installing the tach- I have read all the instructions for installing the tach, most of them focus on powering the tach, not hooking it to the engine, I would assume it has to be hooked to something under the hood to work, where do I hook it up under the hood ?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Read your instructions.It hooks to the distributor.Should be some wires comming out,Hook in to the wires.It's not hard just a little common sence:scratchchin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
tach

Yes it is easier to hook to the coil, All you need is a positive (red) wire and a negative (black) wire and then the wire from your coil and your set....real easy same with any other gauge your looking at..All you need for any electronic is a pos. source voltage and a ground and then a reference or sensor wire...real simple good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I can hook any gauge up to the coil , doesn't have to go under the hood ?

Where is the coil, I am new to this:hihi:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts