Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Mustang GT and I filled it up today at the gas station when i left everything was fine until a guy on a motorcycle told me i was leaking fuel, So I pulled over and the rubber gasket between the fuel filler and the tank is leaking bad, I went to the auto parts store and bought some fuel tank sealant and filled the hoel with that, The question is, Is this common? Where can I get that rubber gasket?

Thanks for the help
Justin

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I've heard of that leaking, you should be able to get a new seal for it. You can definately get it at the Ford parts counter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i just replaced the rubber gasket on my fuel tank, and the only place to get one is from the dealer, but don't worry there not that pricey. but finding it wasn't the hard part putting it in was. since i have a car lift it wasn't as bad but it still took me and a friend to change it. first you have to take the screws behind the gas tank door out. then take the screws out of the inside the trunk(behind the carpet). next you need to take the screw out that holds that little ring arond the rubber boot out so you can slide the gas tank fill hose out. i found that it was alot easier to do if you drop the gastank down a couple inches so you can get the proper angle on the filler hose. (be sure that you don't drop anything in the gas tank):bigthumbsup

·
Registered
214 Posts
Make sure when you replace it you coat the inner part of the seal where the filler neck goes through with lots of vasaline to help the filler neck slide in easy and avoid tearing new seal with filler neck. I have seen it happens a few times. It might not tear bad enough to cause a fuel leak but I have seen them cause an evap leak and kick check engine lights. If its leaking that bad I am suprised there is no check engine light yet on your veh

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
try getting one at the parts store first if not then dealer. although the dealer soaks you. prob like 20 bucks for a peice of rubber

·
Registered
23 Posts
First thing I fixed on mine when i bought it. Cost me 200 installed(i have no lift or garage so I paid the labor)

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
use silicon not vaseline, vaseline is petroleum based and will eat away at the rubber

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just replaced the rubber gasket on my fuel tank, and the only place to get one is from the dealer, but don't worry there not that pricey. but finding it wasn't the hard part putting it in was. since i have a car lift it wasn't as bad but it still took me and a friend to change it. first you have to take the screws behind the gas tank door out. then take the screws out of the inside the trunk(behind the carpet). next you need to take the screw out that holds that little ring arond the rubber boot out so you can slide the gas tank fill hose out. i found that it was alot easier to do if you drop the gastank down a couple inches so you can get the proper angle on the filler hose. (be sure that you don't drop anything in the gas tank):bigthumbsup
I have the same problem right now. If you could give a more detailed set of steps and instructions for how you did this i along with others could definatley benefit from it. Pics would be great!!! Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
first you need to remove the screws with the red around them (i wasn't really sure if i needed to remove the screws with the yellow around/pointing to them but i did it anyways)

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Alright now pull back the carpet (you may have to remove more plastic clipsto pull the carpet back enough) now that you can see the fuel filler lines and vent lines going through the trunk remove the bolts with the red circles around them

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
the rest is pretty easy to figure out you push up on the fill line and pull out on the fill line until you finally get the whole filler line out

One thing to be carefull of is tearing the new rubber boot (USE SILICON, NOT VASELINE)

Another thing to be carfullof is when you are putting everything back together make sure that the rubber gasket around where you fill your gas tank at is in the propewr place (behind red circle)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.