Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am Daniel, I am new to the forum.
2 and half years ago I bought a Mustang GT 2013 automatic with 42000km / 26000mi on the odometer, I am the second owner.

Since two days I have a problem with my mustang, it has roughly 64000km / 40000mi on the odometer now.

I recently drove on a nearby road and all of a sudden there was a very short moment with a weird noise accompanied by a vibration / jerk also noticeable in the gas pedal, but felt like it was going through the hole car.

At first I thought well, perhaps there was something on the road I didn't see, like some branches e.g., but after roughly 20km / 12mi problem free driving on twisty roads it occurred again.
The odd thing is that this popping sound and jerking stuff is always only happening on the two very exact same locations no matter how often I drive there. It doesn't matter if I am coasting or lightly on the throttle. Other than that it drives normal like it always did in the past 2 years.

Differential got a new shaft seal and new fluid 3 years and approx. 21000km / 13000mi ago.

There is no fluid leak and no loose lug nuts, but drive train clunks every now and then like it always did and there is a irregular squeaking noise from the rear end when I am slowly driving over bad pavement.

I have no clue what it could be but I am not a mechanic.

I'll appreciate any tips.

I recorded "the problem" here:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Sounds like the change in terrain of that road is flexing the car enough to cause the exhaust pipes to touch something, maybe one of the rear shocks or the underbody of the car. Under normal circumstances the exhaust pipes do a lot of jigging in response to bumps but they should not be hitting anything. You can see the car jounce a couple of times as the rattle occurs. The jounce happens twice and they are sudden. Look up under there, on a lift or ramps. make sure all the joints are tight and there is at least 1/2" of space between the pipes and everything else. Also check the rubber hanger isolators to see if they are torn or missing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer, I found a shot lower control arm bushing in the rear but after changing the control arms on both sides it still does it at the very same locations as before. Exhaust is not hitting anything and joints seem tight. The irregular squeaking noise is still there too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is there a radio or TV tower close to the road? Power plant or airport? Cattle/other animal electric fence running next to the road? Any of these could emit spurious RF energy that may be affecting your car's computer.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Check your sway bar bushings and end links.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
1 - 5 of 5 Posts