Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to upgrade my mustang gt 2018 premium brake from a 4 piston to 6 piston.

Will the M-2300-BUL ford performance calibers fit my stock premium 18 inch rims 235/50R18 97W ?

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
I am pretty sure they will NOT clear; pretty sure you need 19" wheels (with the correct design) for those huge brakes, hope someone else can confirm.

It is up to you, it's your car -- but why do you want bigger brakes? Right now your tires are the limiting factor for sure; your current brakes can overpower the 235 street tires quite easily.

Reactions: huberoy123

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I was going to ask the same question??? 4 pistons to 6. Can you share with us?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to ask the same question??? 4 pistons to 6. Can you share with us?
Excuse my lack of experience, I am a new mustang owner and can only give you specifics from a newbie. My imagination was this would give me better safety and durability

·
Registered
5,193 Posts

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
yes I'm pretty sure you will need new wheels for the bigger brakes; I'd look up the brake kits on line and see if it says "requires 19" wheels for clearance"

also keep in mind not ALL 19" wheels will clear; they need the correct offset and the spokes need to be out toward the edge of the wheel, not curled back inward

you won't be able to use the additional stopping power unless you go to bigger/stickier tires -- your current brakes can overpower your current tires easily

the bigger pads for the bigger calipers might last longer than the smaller ones; but other than that, durability is going to be the same

so yeah if you want to spend a big pile of money just for fun and bragging rights, go for it . . . these cars are for fun . . . but functionally I do not see any need

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes I'm pretty sure you will need new wheels for the bigger brakes; I'd look up the brake kits on line and see if it says "requires 19" wheels for clearance"

also keep in mind not ALL 19" wheels will clear; they need the correct offset and the spokes need to be out toward the edge of the wheel, not curled back inward

you won't be able to use the additional stopping power unless you go to bigger/stickier tires -- your current brakes can overpower your current tires easily

the bigger pads for the bigger calipers might last longer than the smaller ones; but other than that, durability is going to be the same

so yeah if you want to spend a big pile of money just for fun and bragging rights, go for it . . . these cars are for fun . . . but functionally I do not see any need
The Replies here have been great. I've learned I probably don't even need6 piston brakes vs the stock 4 piston! Thanks for the replies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts