Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there's a security mechanism to prevent accidental shift to R while driving? I did it the other day by accident while moving, I was going around 50km/h and put it in reverse and realised it so put it back in drive (all happened in less than 1 or 2 seconds). I didn't feel anything happen, I didn't feel that the car had indeed shifted to reverse so I was just wondering if anyone heard of a mechanism like this. If it exists, thank god because it saved my tranny lol =)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The car won't slam into reverse if you do that. It'll slow down and it'll feel like you are in neutral, then it will stop and shift. I got a bit too quick on the trigger one day and shifted into R before coming to a stop and that's pretty much what happened.

**** happens, but I wouldn't make a habit out of doing it personally. :nono:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I thought the shifter had a reverse lockout --- you have to push in the button on the shifter to go past neutral.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I thought the shifter had a reverse lockout --- you have to push in the button on the shifter to go past neutral.
You are right. I just realized what his post said. Maybe he had his foot on the brake; it doesn't take much to activate that relay in the shifter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's one thing I realised as well, usually from what I've seen, you have to step on the break to be able to shift to reverse but that's not the case with my mustang, I just have to push the button on shifter to shift to reverse.. I was thinking I'd reverse it by mistake at some point when I saw that you didn't need to step on the break to shift to neutral lol :) Thanks

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
That's one thing I realised as well, usually from what I've seen, you have to step on the break to be able to shift to reverse but that's not the case with my mustang, I just have to push the button on shifter to shift to reverse.. I was thinking I'd reverse it by mistake at some point when I saw that you didn't need to step on the break to shift to neutral lol :) Thanks
Then I guess you'd better have that looked at.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mean it's not like that in all mustangs? I didn't know that! I thought Mustang's didn't have that thing where you need to step on the break to put it in reverse! I thought it was just how the car was..

I know my dads car had it, and after I got my Mustang I thought it was interesting that they didn't do it the same.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i believe you only have to step on the brake in order to shift from park to rev. if you're in neutral or any other gear, you only have to push in the button on the shifter to shift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.