Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had been having some weird noise(intermittent knock and another noise that i can't describe all while at idle). took it to the dealership and they said my car needs new cam phasers, which i figured. i asked if this is common for this year car and he said for the 5.4 liter trucks it is, but not on the 07 mustang(he stated this is the first they have seen, just my luck). i also asked do they make an improved model of cam phasers so i dont have this problem again and my answer was. anyone else had this problem and has the problem reoccured? there gonna do the install next week on wed. but i have thurs and friday off also if they need the car longer. car only has 9,500 miles on it and its only 1year and 2 months old and very babied on the street. i miss the old 5.0 liter engine.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
It's isn't terribly common with the 4.6 3v but I've seen a handful of cases from the members here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's isn't terribly common with the 4.6 3v but I've seen a handful of cases from the members here.

what do you think causes it.(defective part?) i mean the part is plastic isnt it? why dont they come up with a better part. i just dont think plastic parts are to be used in a motor where you get lots of heat!?:nono:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I poured a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in with the oil the other day. My dad said that would fix or quiet down a stuck lifter. Heck, it even says it on the bottle! I don't know how it works yet because I haven't started the car in a few days. If they are broken or damaged, it's better to just have them replaced, but I really hope this is a cheap and easy fix.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I poured a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in with the oil the other day. My dad said that would fix or quiet down a stuck lifter. Heck, it even says it on the bottle! I don't know how it works yet because I haven't started the car in a few days. If they are broken or damaged, it's better to just have them replaced, but I really hope this is a cheap and easy fix.
Like Seafoam, people swear by that mystery oil.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you think the dealership will go ahead and replace the timing chain tensioners while they have it tore apart. are the tensioners part of the cam phaser kit?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quick question when i get my car back i have a xcal tuner that will show me if my car was reflashed at the dealership by comparing my old strategy to the new one that the dealership may install. and i know not to load a tune on my car if it was infact reflashed. my question is when i install my roush supercharger on my car i have to send them the pcm to have them install there tune shoudlnt i write on the pcm my new strategy code so that they dont flash my pcm for the code that is on the pcm because that code is no longer valid due to the new reflash?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
quick question when i get my car back i have a xcal tuner that will show me if my car was reflashed at the dealership by comparing my old strategy to the new one that the dealership may install. and i know not to load a tune on my car if it was infact reflashed. my question is when i install my roush supercharger on my car i have to send them the pcm to have them install there tune shoudlnt i write on the pcm my new strategy code so that they dont flash my pcm for the code that is on the pcm because that code is no longer valid due to the new reflash?
Keep in mind that they can flash an update without changing the strategy. Whatever you do, when you send the PCM to Roush, make sure the stock tune (whatever strategy it is) is on the PCM.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Being a dealership tech...I have never seen, heard or worked on any Mustang built later then Feb of 05 that had a bad camshaft phasers. With that being said they might be bad I've just haven't heard of any problems with them on later production vehicles. If they do replace them only the valve covers need to come off. Ford has special tool to keep the chain in place. The phasers are made completely of metal.When they gone bad they will make rotational swish noise at IDLE, if you bring the engine idle up to over 1800 rpms the noise goes away, then its the phasers. There is no need for the dealership to change the PCM program, as far as I know there isn't an updated calibration.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Being a dealership tech...I have never seen, heard or worked on any Mustang built later then Feb of 05.
My car was built in Oct 04. Is something different about my cam phasors?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Being a dealership tech...I have never seen, heard or worked on any Mustang built later then Feb of 05 that had a bad camshaft phasers. With that being said they might be bad I've just haven't heard of any problems with them on later production vehicles. If they do replace them only the valve covers need to come off. Ford has special tool to keep the chain in place. The phasers are made completely of metal.When they gone bad they will make rotational swish noise at IDLE, if you bring the engine idle up to over 1800 rpms the noise goes away, then its the phasers. There is no need for the dealership to change the PCM program, as far as I know there isn't an updated calibration.
Great info... Thanks. So I'm guessing there was a redesign early in the 2005 production run?

·
Registered
597 Posts
My car was built in Oct 04. Is something different about my cam phasors?
Its possible your phasers might make noise. Some early Mustangs have the phaser that may make noise, some don't. Easiest way to tell if your's are noisy is at idle listened with a rubber hose or long screwdriver at the front of the engine at the valve cover near the timing cover. The noise is generally louder than the typical fuel injector tick noise... compare the two areas. This really isn't a durability issue more of a nuisance noise. If you have an extended warranty this part is covered on the premium and powertrain plans, I'm not sure about the other plans. I also remember getting one of the first Mustangs shipped to my dealership had the noise right from the factory.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow, ok this is interesting as I never really understood what actually happens when a cam phaser goes bad--

So the cam phaser advances and retards the camshaft via oil pressure, right?

So when one goes bad, if its just the ticking noise--does that mean the phaser is still advancing and retarding the camshaft?

My car was built in early 05 also, so I have been figuring this is going to eventually happen to my car as well----lets say I make a pass at the track, then come back and have this noise (cam phaser), can I run the car again? Would anything be effected?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
your absolutely right it does make a rythmic swishing noise at idle. i think there also gonna change my timing chain tensioners also cause the service technician talked about having to remove the front clip of my car and change my engine oil also. seemed like a bunch of real nice guys and i feel like i can trust them. im so use to doing my own engine work but i know nothing about these 4.6L. thanks guys for you help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ford tech here as well and I can remember replacing only one set of the updated phazers on an F-150 so they work good. TSB 06-19-8 gives a good description of the noise but it only applies to 05 Mustangs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.