Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used mustang gt. everything's completely fine but one thing I'm noticing is all other mustang gts have a speedometer that goes up to 150 and mine only goes up to 120. I'm thinking the stock one broke and he replaced it. Does this make sense or do some gts come with 120s?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If the car is a GT and the instrument cluster goes to 120, then that cluster is for a V-6.

I would then want to see legal documentation as to replacement of cluster and PROPER MILEAGE on the current cluster.

·
Registered
943 Posts
There was a guy trying to claim that here on CL because I went and looked at a mustang GT for my brother and it had the 120MPH speedometer. All the GT's had 150 speedometers. It was changed.

Depending on the year of the car if it doesn't have an electronic odometer then it is off and not correct.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'd run the VIN, if it goes to 120 theres two possibilities:

- GT with a V6 cluster

or

- V6 with a V8 swapped in.

I see that you're new here too, did you ever check to see if there was actually a V8 under the hood? Or is it just a V6 with GT badges all over it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd run the VIN, if it goes to 120 theres two possibilities:

- GT with a V6 cluster

or

- V6 with a V8 swapped in.

I see that you're new here too, did you ever check to see if there was actually a V8 under the hood? Or is it just a V6 with GT badges all over it?
Yes sir I'm new here, but I'm positive it's a GT

·
Registered
804 Posts
Then I'd run the VIN and see what's up. Is your speedometer accurate?

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
My vote is cluster swap. Puzzled why that would ever happen though. Does the speedometer read out correctly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts