Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like a bit of a fool, but hopefully someone on this forum can help me out. I brought my 2011 GT 'vert in for its first oil change and tire rotation at the dealer at around 8,000 miles (they had a coupon and I wanted all maintenance to be documented in case of any engine tick/transmission problems). They returned it to me after about an hour and a half, and I drove home, only to notice that the tires hadn't been rotated (there is an obvious scratch on one of the wheels that had not moved position), and I brought it back immediately, demanding the rotation and asking if they really even changed the oil. They rotated my tire and insisted the oil had been changed, I was a bit suspicious because the dipstick was still a bit dirty but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Fast forward about 3,000 miles and my oil life indicator is now at 0, so I decide to change the oil myself and do it right with Mobil 1 and a Royal Purple filter. There is no evidence of a previous oil change and the oil pan drain is extremely hard to remove. I'm no weakling (6'2" 200 lbs), and it took both hands and bracing myself against the curb to get enough torque on the wrench.

I saved the oil just in case there is a way to tell from how degraded it is if it had ever been changed, and was wondering if there is some sort of damage that might have happened to my car as a result of the oil staying in my new car for almost 12,000 miles.

I'm not an experienced gear-head by any means, but I have been saving my extra flight pay (Naval Aviator) for a few years to get this car, and really want to protect my investment. Any advice from the forum members would be a huge help. Thanks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you are concerned I would suggest sending in some used oil for an oil analysis. Then you can see if the actual condition of the oil.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The fool working on it may have just gorilla wrenched that drain plug on too. That's how they usually get stripped out, some guy seriously over torquing it. A used oil analysis would be your best bet to determine if it is excessively worn out. If your concern is based on the oil indicator being zero too soon, it was likely not reset. There is no oil condition sensor, it is computed with a number of parameters. They tend to be quite accurate.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Don't go back to that boneheaded dealership. Oil changes are too easy not to do them yourself. Minus sub-zero winter weather, I always do my own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys, I have just ordered an oil test kit from blackstone labs. I reset the oil life counter myself when I picked up the car from the dealership, which is why I was so surprised when it read 0% such a short time afterwards.

·
Registered
646 Posts
What kind of driving do you do? If it was reset and went back to zero, it probably is due. Like I said, it is a calculation. It has no way to tell if it was changed or not.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Was the oil filter you pulled off the car totally white, or was it white with red words that said motocraft? if it says motocraft then they at least changed the filter and probably the oil. The filters they use from the factory are all white, and there put on dry and tight.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Your car is more than likely fine, even if that is the old oil. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for your service. What do you fly for the Navy?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am sorry that a dealer wasted this much of your valuable time by leaving you guessing if the work got done. Just googling for ford dealer san diego might get some mapped out locations and some user ratings. dealerrater.com has a few user ratings for dealers in your area too, but not many.

Further, I think that if you know of a real mechanic in the area who can do the oil changes, that those receipts would likely hold up to scrutiny under a warranty issue. I know that in my case with another car, that the manufacturer accepted non-dealer oil changes as valid work.

Thanks for your service

·
Registered
366 Posts
I trust my dealer, but I always watch them change the oil. They have a 'quick lane' for such things and I stand there and watch/talk to the tech doing the work.

I usually change oil myself at home, but I'll let the dealer do it while this motor is under warranty (and as long as they keep sending me 'frequent customer' coupons because we must replace the damn alternator on the Cougar every other year...). :kooky:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Was the oil filter you pulled off the car totally white, or was it white with red words that said motocraft? if it says motocraft then they at least changed the filter and probably the oil. The filters they use from the factory are all white, and there put on dry and tight.
Hey got a question. On your avatar picture is that your intake cover painted black. If so just crazy cause i was painting mine alond with the valve covers gloss black to match the car. Just wanted to know how it was holding up. Sorry guys got off subject. Why did the dealer tell you they didnt rotate the tires like they said they were suppose to.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
In my opinion, the real issue at hand is the lack of customer focus by FORD... it's shameful that FORD CORP allows the kind of stuff that happens daily at dealerships,what they don't seem to realize is that dealerships are the front line of customer satisfaction.
This is what will eventually sour most FORD customers to the point of brand switch.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Oil does not wear out, it just becomes dirty and losses its additives. Nothing to worry about in your case because you are not making a habit running dirty oil. Report the dealer to Ford Motor Company's Customer Relations, and find another Ford agency to service your Mustang.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The super tight drain plug is no indicator either. I watched the guy who changed mine a couple months back, and it looked like he was giving it everything he could standing under it on the lift.

Was glad I knew that they would have to fight it next time, it came with a year of free oil changes. :bigthumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.