Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and looking for a clean S197 GT Premium. This 2014 GT Premium convertible showed up across the state with super low miles <30k and a clean title. I checked with the dealership and they said the original owner (1/2) had the dealership add the supercharger and necessary other parts off the GT500. Is this a thing that a Ford dealership would actually do? I'm a little hesitant to buy it because it's priced at half the price of a GT500. Does this sound legit? They said they have paperwork from the dealership, but they didn't include it in the email. I'd rather not drive hours to see it if this is too good to be true...
Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive air manifold
Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Speedometer Car
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Administrator
5,034 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
05 GT Premium, satin silver over red
234 Posts
That's not an OE GT500 blower. It's an aftermarket kit but may well have been installed by the dealer when the car was new. It's a fairly common practice that allows the purchaser to finance the modifications with the car.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
yep could have been installed by dealer, but did not come off a GT500 (manifold is different) . . . some of the supporting stuff like heat exchanger, coolant tank might be GT500

some superchargers such as Roush did come with warranties if installed by an authorized dealer, but I don't think VMP offered that

The supercharger does not make it the equivalent of a GT500. The GT500 had a different engine that was designed and built for supercharging to high horsepower levels; when you slap a supercharger on an internally-stock Coyote, you are pushing everything way beyond it's original design which uses up most of the "safety factor" that is designed in, and puts the system much closer to failure . . . so that's the risk you take with a supercharged engine and that's why the price is much lower than a GT500. Also this kind of modification scares off a lot of potential buyers, so you can often buy a supercharged car for not much more than stock.

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Dragon Tail Master
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,585 Posts
1 Step beyond what JBert said, is it the 2.3 or 2.65 liter since the 2.65 pushes it out even farther.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The older VMP kits are very similar to Roush kits which were installed from many dealerships. The Roush units even had a specific OEM calibration through the dealers. This maintained the warranty if done at a dealership, but compared to others was down on power due to the very conservative and emissions legal tune available through Ford. If this was done at a dealer with paperwork to back it up then I would assume it was done correctly. But whether legal on your streets or not depends on your smog laws.
VMP kits are quality kits, and the stock engine is up to handling the power up to a point. Is there a tuner coming with it? What tune does it have? How much boost is it making? Did they state whether or not forged oil pump gears were installed? That is the biggest failure point on Gen 1 Coyote engines. Does the car have headers? Cats? You can tell a lot about HOW the car was used with what supporting mods are there, and decide whether it was an "older" more responsible owner or a kid who thrashed it. Finding out these answers should tell you whether to spring for this car or run for the hills. Due to privacy laws they can't give out previous owner receipts due to the personal info on them, but should be able to make some copies with that info ommitted if you ask nicely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts