Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have my battery replaced the other day. Ever since I got the car back the Idle has been really low and I've got a DTC P0506 which is for too low of an idle. I thought maybe the dealer didn't do the idle relearn process so I disconnected the battery for a few min. Then I did the idle relearn procedure in the manual with no luck. I've had to replace my TPS sensor before not long after a previous battery change.

I just thought I'd get some opinions as if you think this is what I should replace again to fix my problem. The car idles without the AC on at about 500RPM with the AC on though the car can't have a steady idle. The car hesitates and almost stalls.

Any advice, opinions or suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I need to change my signature. I currently don't have my CAI or custom tune installed. I currently have Stock intake box and stock tune.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Check your TPS voltage with a multimeter. Probe the bottom wire on the TPS harness with key on/engine off. You should see a reading between 1.19 and 1.31 volts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stlwagon......If the TPS voltage checks out what do you suggest?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same problem recently. Had battery replaced and noticed much lower idle. Was told the computer had to adapt for a while, not sure about that. Car is stock and I just brought in for 60K service and asked about this. Tech told me this happens frequntly and is not a problem. It's been 6 months since the battery change and no change in the idle, still around 600 RPM's.

I wish I could say it's been fixed but my issue still persists, I don't think it's a problem though.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Try disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes,see if this helps.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just rebuilt my alternator and I am having this same problem. The small plastic piece around the rear bearing kept falling out. But I now get the Code 506 daily. Think I may try the disconnect the battery trick today. :scratchchin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My idel wasn't this low when I first got the car from the factory. I think they messed something up when they supposedly reset my car's system or whatever it was they did to fix my window problem I was having at the same time.

I have an appointment to take it in on Friday. Hopefully they'll fix it instead of giving me a line of BS about it needs to learn.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not saying this is your problem but I had very similar symptoms after a battery change tried TPS and everything. Ended up being a bad throttle body.

·
Registered
56 Posts
One way to avoid problems any time you have to remove the battery is to take a second battery and make a harness with a plug that will fit into your power point and alligator clips on the other end. Plug it into your power point and clip it to the extra battery paying attention to polarity and when you disconnect your battery under the hood your car won't loose any of it's memory. Obviously you need to protect the positive lead when you remove it so it doesn't come in contact with the body of the car till you re-install it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all of the advice. I'll keep everyone posted as to what they do to fix it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it turns out my throttle was sticking or so they say. And they couldn't really find out why so I had to replace the throttle body. Which really sucked cost wise. But at least my car is back running like it should.

Thank you again for all the advice and suggestions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.