Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time has come. Traction has to be upgraded, I will be doing small suspension changes, shocks, some brackets too. My problem is what rear rim size to go with. I have 18x8.5 in the rear, should I go 18x10, 19x10, 20x10, in the rear. I am not a big fan of 20" rims, buttt... My tuner wants me to do 20x10, anything 18" is a waste of time for my situation in his opinion. It is these 3 sizes for the back what do you think? I am not a track racer but I have to do something. What ever I choose it will be chrome, maybe deep dish, maybe even Saleens.:headscratch:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I liked the American racing shelby torq thrust II M's. They are black deepdish w/ chrome lip. They make the 18x10. I just put 18x19.5 Konigs on the rear(295/40/18) and they fit great and the nitto nt555's stick great

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I don't understand why an 18" rim is a waste. 20s are going to add a lot of extra weight. I'd go with the 18x10s.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with the 18x10's as well. That will be my choice when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with both of you guys, thats why I was asking. 20" just takes away from my old school theme, so to speak. I have been going round and round with this. He did say if I choose the 18" it would be a lot lighter then 20". Unless of course I went with Bogarts and that is not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya Mark, thats why I posted this. Maybe I miss understood the tuner. I will talk to them again next week. They have never steered me wrong yet. Maybe I heard him wrong.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I hear ya Mark, thats why I posted this. Maybe I miss understood the tuner. I will talk to them again next week. They have never steered me wrong yet. Maybe I heard him wrong.
So this is Jim III who told you this?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. We have been talking about rims on and off for a while. Maybe he was thinking 18x8.5. I will talk to him again next week. I want to get over this already. I want to break my outstanding 12.9 1/4 mile time this year. I really want to shatter it.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Yes. We have been talking about rims on and off for a while. Maybe he was thinking 18x8.5. I will talk to him again next week. I want to get over this already. I want to break my outstanding 12.9 1/4 mile time this year. I really want to shatter it.
Get cracking on those new control arms for starters!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think you mis understood him. 20's are a waste when it comes to traction (straight line drag racing). Plenty of companies make 18 inch drag radials, and alot of street tires to choose from.

Plus, as already mentioned, unless you plan on spending alot of money on wheels, the 20's are heavy and will suck the performance out of the vehicle. You would be adding considerable rotational weight which will effect acceleration and braking--unless you spend the coin on a good forged lightweight wheel.

If you go with a 18X10 wheel for the rear---+45mm offset fits good.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks guys. 18x10 in the back,18x9 up front. This is why this site is so good, no bashing, just good advice.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yeah, the 20's are for looks. I'm considering switching to 18's in the distant future as well. Car look much more "musclely" like that IMO.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Ok thanks guys. 18x10 in the back,18x9 up front. This is why this site is so good, no bashing, just good advice.
That's what I'm running. But I run a 28" tire in back (295-45-18) to get my effective gear ratio down close to 3.90.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Contact patch area is not necessarily proportional to rim width. Traction is dependent on tire compound and maximizing the contact patch, or constant area under the tire. Just something to consider. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
IMO 18" are a bit small of the wheel well of the S197 the car was build for 20" to fit nice and look good. i run 18" but thats only becues i need all the hook i can get. i would like to run 19"

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Mick do you have to have the rear match the front? Im sure you do but if you want a good tire for the track...look at what they offer in 18" 1st. My 275/18's are'nt any good on the street..better than the 235's but with the power you have even up to a 295 anything street tire is a waist of money. I run 18's front with a 17" on the rear. M&H's hook pretty decent on the street. even they will spin fairly easy but it's harder. at the track they work great! another thing is put a skinny tire up front...stay with the 235 series. I have a 275 on the front but its coming off on my next trip to the track...(which I hope is Friday weather permitting). here's a pic of my 18/17 track setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Your thoughts on Rim Size

You guys just made me feel a lot better. I've been trying to decide whether to keep wasting my time looking for some wider 17" tires than the stock ones, 235/55/17, or bite the bullitt and get some bigger wheels. So, I just left Discount Tire after ordering two 18x10 deep dish bullitts and 2 Nitto555 285/40/18's. That set me back a little more than I had planned so now I have to wait on replacing the front ones. I hope I did good.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
they will look awesome! and be a tad better than your stock tires for bite. Im sure you are 425whp...your still gonna spin'm with no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about the 20" Shelby Razors? It looks like they're original equipment on the CS's and Shelby GT's. Are the Razors any lighter or are they a waste? Just wondering, I was thinking about getting a set of 20 x 10's for my ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.