Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got another motor. Its from a 96 explorer. Im wanting to know if I can use the mustang harmonic balancer on the explorer motor without any issues?

·
Registered
540 Posts
as long as its off a 302 (50 oz balance) it will work fine.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fast ford! Thats what I was thinking but they look like 2 different designs, and the explorer had some weird thin "sprocket" looking thing behind the balancer.

·
Registered
540 Posts
that sprocket thing is a crank trigger sensor. that is what actually tells the ignition to fire. If there is any way to take it off you will not need it on your stang. If not it shouldnt hurt anything.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Can't remove the crank trigger wheel or the pulley. If I remember right, the Explorer Balancer is not designed to be able to be taken apart. Both engine blocks are identical in dimensions. Use a Fox Body timing cover and 50oz Mustang Balancer and you are good to go.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pulley and sprocket thing came off pretty easy. Im not gonna reuse them. Ive got the motor taken down to just the block and rotating assy. Ive replaced the explorer cam with my stock 90 stang cam. There is a nice cross hatch pattern in each of the cylinders, and the ring groove is hardly noticable which makes me happy :). The gt40 heads look pretty good too. Later this afternoon im gonna put them back on with some new head gaskets just to be on the safe side. Ive got a new timing chain set, water pump, and the oil filter thread bung on the way.

I think I got a mexican block too, if they are not a myth. My old block was stamped YYY, and this one is XXX so I googled it and it appears thats what the XXX means. Who really knows though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
No the 5.0's I've had are all xxx, and the mexican wouldnt have been in there unless someone put it there afterwards.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take the whole mexican thing with a grain of salt. If it is then thats cool but if its not im not gonna lose any sleep over it. Im just glad I have a block that doesnt have a hole through the 5 sleeve!!!!!! I didnt read too god awful much about the blocks. It seems like you read 6 different articles/posts and you get 6 different answers. I do know that the block I took out of my car had a YYY stamped in it. As far as I know the YYY or XXX just denote where they were made. Ive even read where someone said there will be something saying made in mexico on it lol but Im not sure thats the case.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had a friend buy a "espanol" block from some dude & when we did some research it was not. We were still able to get 675 hp @ the flywheel W/ no issues! (Until we got a little too happy w/ the spray about a year later) apparently it leaned & detonated. Thats like the 3rd motor I've built managed to break the girdle. This 1 was a 331.:kooky:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At least you have a cool story behind yours. I wish I broke mine because of spraying too much:kooky:. Mine either broke because I got sloppy and dropped something down one of the intake runners when I was putting the upper back on, or the machine shop that rebuild my heads had something come loose or something got stuck in there and when the valve opened, droped it into the cylinder. Either way im on my second engine. I want a 331 turbo motor but until I finish this last year of college and get a real job this explorer motor is gonna have to work. In the mean time I'm at a stand still until these parts come in the mail via Late model restoration.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I hear ya'. I cant get into the whole recycling parts through my entire motor w/ a turbo when I can melt a piston w/ spray & just replace a piston. Melt a piston w/ a turbo & your done. Blowers blow, tubos suck, but nitrous rocks!:kooky:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts